1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G.Skill Falcon 128GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 24 Jun 2009.

1. Goty

Goty Member

Oh, how did we ever get along without our savior, the SSD?!

/sarcasm

Y'know, superfetch does much the same thing for me in Vista =P

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The point is not what OS you use. Use Vista if MS are paying you to vocally support the steaming pile of...

The point is how much less long lived the flash is than the hard disk. I don't know how much less good it'll be, but I suspect it'll be less good. Possibly so much less good that it's questionably usable.

P

3. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

Phil, point to an example of how it is bad. I'm curious.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Don't be hatin' on Vista, it's not as bad any everyone gives it stick for. And Microsoft don't pay me to say that.

Considering the average MLC SSD rewrite endurance is anywhere between 1000 -10,000 cycles, I'm personally not too worried. Even worst case, that'd mean I'd have to write 128TB of data to the drive over it's lifetime, something that realistically just won't happen in a home user, or arguably even an enterprise environment. These drives also come with specific wear levelling algorithms on the drive controller to avoid over using a specific cell of the drive repeatedly, so you'll see fairly even wear too. Even then, wear isn't going to influence performance too much (until you hit the write endurance of course) - it's the defragmentation caused by partially filled cells that causes performance drops, - something Wiper.exe and hopefully TRIM support can happily resolve

Last edited: 24 Jun 2009
  5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Trust me, using an SSD an an OS using superfetch are nothing alike. Superfetch might pre-load the program files of some apps and titles but it won't help when booting, loading larger apps or when browsing your system. A decent SSD really is a huge step up in performance - I promise!

6. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Member

Apparently OCZ have will have native Win7 TRIM support on the Vertex soon. :)

But I'm interested in this whole cross-flashing hijinks you mention. Is it possible to flash back to G.Skill FW if things go wrong?

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree, have to use it to believe it.

the earlier days were slow but simple, remember how the web browser don't have so many addons and and only load a single page at a time? remember how simple graphical user interface were? even those days we are still bottlenecked by the hard drive, it's just not as obvious as on today's quad-core, 8GB monsters.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

"The SSD market has been really hotting up lately"

hotting up??? I taken you meant heating up lol

Anyhow good review but again Im waiting until that $1gb mark before I make the switch :) but it is certainly great to watch the progression of these drives

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

If things go wrong you'll have a bricked drive - no half measures when it comes to firmware updates!

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

There's various standards of wear levelling, which is why I proposed the test.

Normal wear levelling distributes writes over the spare space on the disk. This is OK, but for most boot drives, the vast majority of the data stays in one place, so that the wear accrues only on empty cells, concentrating degradation massively into one area of the flash. Under these circumstances, 1000 or even 10,000 rewrites is a staggeringly small number.

Really good wear levelling shuffles data around regardless of whether it's involved in the current write, distributing writes across all of the storage by moving previously static data to other places. This helps enormously.

Bit-Tech should enquire of flash disk manufacturers what their approach is to this issue.

P

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can say either, hotting up is more slangy though if you're going to be a gram-nazi about it :p ;)

12. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Member

And I thought flashing my PSP all those years ago was tence. lol

But still, do you think it's possible if I were to sell it on or RMA it? Maybe the same process but flashing over G.Skills 1370 (asuming downgrades are allowed).

13. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

The manufacturing costs of a SSD from what I have seen must be lower than that of a HDD due to the fact that a SSD is only a PCB as were the HDD has both PCB and mechanical parts.

With memory being so cheap is it the controller that is the bulk of the high cost, or just a case of milking the must have techno nutters.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Flash memory is very far from cheap, being in enormous demand. These things don't use DRAM.

Technologically, DRAM is a pain. The only reason we use it is that it's extremely fast and extremely cheap.

P

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree, especially that of the Samsung one :)

although looking at it on O&O Defrag, it seems the location of files doesn't change

17. Goty

Goty Member

Oh, I have no doubt, my only doubt is whether or not I'll hate myself in the morning for spending that kind of money on that amount of storage. It's all well and good to have the speed, but it does me no good if I can only fit half my apps on the drive.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It won't, at the OS level, or you'd break the filesystem. This sort of messing about is done at the drive's firmware level, which is why the only way to figure out what's going on is to ask the manufacturers.

P

19. Xlog

Xlog Active Member

The thing with flash is that even if you want to write 1B, you will have to erase and partially rewrite a whole sector, so programs that write/rewrite small files very often will wear down SSD very quickly. Sure, in desktop you can use HDD for that, or put more RAM, but in laptops, with limited RAM and space (no second drive unless 17" laptop) SSD probably wont last very long.

20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We've not been able to find any documented evidence of any of the SSDs we've reviewed in the last year wearing down due to exhausting the drives number of rewrites, even under heavy loads. Unless someone can produce some concrete evidence, I think you're all making a big deal out of a non-issue.

Tags: Add Tags