1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G.Skill Falcon 128GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 24 Jun 2009.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It's not a case of evidence, that's how the damn things work. You won't have had them for nearly long enough to exhibit any of these problems. What we should do is produce some evidence, which would mean stress testing one of these things until it starts to fall over.

Which is what I suggested back on page 1, if you recall.

P

2. serial_

serial_ New Member

Those of you comparing raptors and SSDs need to please stfu and would the real slim shady please stand up?

Firstly, you're comparing an 8-year old drive with an SSD (and I know you are because you're commenting on noise). Secondly, the Raptors are SATA I, which means poopy speeds. And the platter density on the Raptor is made from ass. So yes. An SSD vs. a Raptor is no contest.

However, Western Digital has the 150GB Velociraptor on the same size/form factor platter and it's inaudable. The Vrap features SATA II and a balls-to-the-wall average latency. Put two Velociraptors in a stripe (Raid0) and then show me an SSD that can compete with that speed, capacity, and reliability all while staying in the same price range. It's an exponential curve in favor of Velociraptors (or SCSI for that matter) when comparing to SSDs. The simple fact that every GB is cheaper on a platter drive makes it an uphill battle for the SSDs. I can afford to stripe multiple drives at SSD prices and gain similar and much more reliable performance.

It's just not the time for solid states. Not yet.

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Is there any way to reverse the OCZ flashing process for RMA purposes?

4. Darko San

Darko San New Member

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Just to confirm, you 'll need to find the OCZ firmware update that requires the drive to be jumpered. This causes the drive to appear in windows as a seperate entity (ylangylang device or therebaouts if i recall correctly), which then allows the older OCZ firmware to work.

The same process allows you to reinstall G.skills own firmware, as this still requires the use of the jumper, unlike OCZ's newer firmware updates that do not need, and in fact will not work, with the jumper.

Tags: Add Tags