1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G.Skill, Intel & Patriot SSD group test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Dec 2008.

1. Denithor

Denithor New Member

Several suggestions, collected from above and my own for improving this article and/or for future work.

2 x raid0 MLC SSD - same price as Intel MLC, would performance improve to match the Intel drive or not?
    2 x raid0 traditional HDD - you mentioned in article, but does this really offer any performance advantage in real-world use?
    Velociraptor versus older Raptor drive - I see your answer above, glad you will address this in future benchmarking.
    Current generation SLC drives - priced like Intel MLC drive but use a different controller than the MLC drives, write issues or not?

As a general comment, I'm with several other people here. The Intel MLC gets us "there" in terms of performance - faster nearly across the board versus even the fastest traditional HDDs - but it's still ridiculously priced on a $/GB basis ($8/GB versus $0.70/GB for the 300GB VR). The JMicron controller removes the other MLC SSDs from serious consideration. But I believe within the next year, two at the most, these devices will be in very serious competition for general widespread use in desktops as prices fall and the issues are worked out.

Two final things. The new JMicron controller is supposed to be released sometime early 2009 and may bring the performance of the general MLC drives up to par on write speeds. Second, if you're interested in this article, there's an even more detailed write-up over at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403). Has a lot more details concerning what's "inside" the hardware, design info, and more stuff on the poor MLC performance of most current drives.

2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Use one of these as your main drive for Windows and some games.
    And use a pair of mechanical drives, one for general file storage, and a small one for swap.
    :lol:

3. airchie

airchie New Member

So, if I were planning to buy an SSD for my xmas for my new laptop, what should I get?
    Are they all plagued by this wierd read patterns due to all having the same controller chip?
    If so, is it just better to aim for the best GB/£ ratio?

Advice please?
    Links to reviews also appreciated. :)