1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice G3258, GPU bottlenecking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aurie, 16 Aug 2014.

1. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

So I was originally going to grab a 3570k for my build, however, I'm now considering the unlocked G3258, saving £100! I intend to overclock my cpu, whichever one I get, WCed system eventually.

Two questions:

Would the G3258 bottle neck my GPU (deciding between the GTX 760/770)?

Anyone know if the CPU would throttle my Games? I tend to play MMos mainly Guild Wars 2 and sometimes stuff like theif. I suspect during WvW in Gw2 the CPU is gonna slow it down...

Cheers

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Bottom line: if the game you're playing uses a multi threaded engine which can take advantage of 3 or more threads, the G3258 is likely to give away performance to a quad.

At worst, it might even stutter.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

In BF3 and BF4 I found that even at 4.7ghz it was bottlenecking my 7870 by about 20-30%.

Other games would be absolutely fine though, just a particularly well threaded engine.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Exactly - the majority of existing engines won't tax this CPU when overclocked, but a couple of current and many future engines will trouble it.

Only go for this CPU if you need to save the money, otherwise future proof yourself and get a quad.

5. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

Good points. Damn was looking forward to saving £100 meh, thanks for the comments guys!!

Back to the quad!