1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News G45 is great at HD video playback

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i saw somewhere that they can also handle Dx10 pretty good.

i might buy G45 instead of P45 as my next upgrade, if Abit does a G45 Pro

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

now they just have to release it:D

4. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

20 - 30% on a Dual Core System to watch is still too much. They should drop it down to a Single Digit.

I hope they get the drivers right this time around. Good thing G45 and G47 is coming out on Notebook this year as well so we dont have to wait another year. G3x Series was simply a disaster.

In fact every Intel iGFx was a Disaster.... I hope G45 improve their reputation.

5. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I would like to get an AMD 780G chipset but I have only been able to find two, an Asus one and the Gigabyte one reviewed here on Bit-Tech not long ago. Does anyone know when we will see a bit more variety? I may just go for Gigabyte one, but it would be nice to have more of a choice.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Out of the 780G boards that are slated to come out, the Gigabyte has the most bells and whistles (according to Anandtech anyway). Just picked one up myself, though its sitting idle until I can find a 4850e somewhere.

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Damn everything, I was planning on a 780G and now the G45 is coming and I have to see what that's like.
    Although I don't see how it can surpass the 780G, unless they have audio pass through for HDMI.

8. Mister_Tad

Gigabyte's 780G board sends audio through HDMI... :eyebrow:

I was going to wait around until 8200 and G45 came around until I decided to go for a new HTPC setup, but the 8200 doesn't look too impressive and the G45 is still ages away, so I plunged now.

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

10. Mister_Tad

Ah right, I'd be surprised if proper full-fat HD audio hit PCs in the near future tbh.
    If it turns out it does come on G45, my time with 780G may be cut quite short indeed :worried:

11. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

are there any numbers on the G45 though or is this Intel PR releasing a story seeing how well received the 780g is and having the desired effect of making people think twice now of buying a 780g board.
    My 780G board is on its way with a BE2400, was going to plop a phenom in there but it would be wasted

12. Mister_Tad

Not only that, but it could have hosed your board... http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=2
    Seems that the 3-4 phase power on the 780G boards isn't quite enough for the ridiculously hungry 125w phenoms.

Unless G45 brings some genuinely new features to the table, I don't see how it can be better than 780G. Perhaps it may have slightly better 3D performance, but nobody uses these for gaming. It either plays 1080p content or it doesn't.

13. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Why? The only possible reasons to use integrated video are for a media center, and for a non-gamer. Either way, it's unusual to be able to play high-def at all on an integrated chipset. This is going to save the cost of a low-end dedicated card in both situations. Is there some particularly good reason you can't run your CPU at 30%? My last computer, with a 2.2 GHz Sempron, pulled nearly that much CPU playing standard-definition movies.

How do you figure? You'll find Intel Integrated Graphics in the majority of the computers on the planet. Every school and office building is full of them, and most normal (i.e., not Bit-Tech) people are totally satisfied with integrated. In fact, the only people who aren't satisfied are gamers, and until recently, HD movie buffs. Integrated video now caters to everyone in the world except gamers, and you'll never get an onboard chip that's good enough to play games - it's a fairly large expense and most of them would never get used.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Not exactly, encryption takes up 20% of load on a dual core system anyway... so the offload is almost as efficient as a discrete GPU.

15. SpeedyJDK

SpeedyJDK What's a Dremel?

I got a G35 chipset. I can only play Blu-Ray if i install Windows Vista...... Heh. Guess NOOOOOT.
    I might not even sniff at the G45 at all, fcuk Intel. Idiots.
    Got a 690G machine here, it plays Blu-Ray fine, and i just got a 780G motherboard yesterday, it's going for the tests tonight. I hope it works great, then all machines gonna be AMD ones here. A move i would NEVER had expected when i first bought the G35 motherboard.

Tags: Add Tags