1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling G5 water cooled?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by o0mercer0o, 28 Jun 2004.

1. o0mercer0o

o0mercer0o What's a Dremel?

I was on apple's website checking out the G5, and i came acrosss this description about it's watercooling feature. I never knew the G5's were water cooled! And the setup they show looks like its just a heatpipe connected to a rad in a loop. No pump or res. is this even effective in cooling. i cant see how the water would still be cool enough to cool the second processor down after the it passed over the first one. has there been any temperature benchmarks done on a G5? If so and they are effective it would be sweet! even if there was one for a single processor instead of a dual. This work work awesome in SFF PC's especially shuttles which already use the heat pipe technique. plus add more room in regular cases not having to find room for the res and pump.

2. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

it dose have a pump and it must be effective they would not use it if not ;) and the heatpipes are not for the prosesors

link 1
    link 2

3. poldank

poldank What's a Dremel?

no

if im not mistaken...

its not really "water cooled" its a heat pipe. the pipe has a little bit of "liquid" in it, and that is how the pipe works. Shuttle could say that all their systems are water cooled!, but they dont want to fool you like apple.

4. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

no :)
    There are 2 heat pipes but they do not cool the Cpus they cool some other chips. The gray pipes cool the CPUS and they have a pump and radiator.

Tags: