1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G80: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Nov 2006.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Aaargh this is frustrating. I was looking at getting a 7600GT this crimbo and then picking up one more in the coming year (money is scarce for me unfortunately), but if there's going to be an 8600GT (or the likes) out coming year I might need to opt for that. If history is anything to go on, the 8600GT should rival the 7900 series, but I can't afford any of that stuff :( Drat drat and double drat. Oh well. 7600GT (and perhaps SLi) it is for now I guess :(

Hey look at the bright side, here's hoping that the 7600GT prices will be cut in the next 12 months with the new G80 series out... May be not so bad after all...

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nice review, but I think I might wait a year or so for the price to come down :eeek
    You can't really call nVidia the Green Machine now that ATI's also gone green now...unless you want to distinguish with shades of green ("The Bright Green Machine" perhaps?)

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:clap: :thumb: Tim

I'm now eagerly waiting to purchase a quad core CPU (though co$t might will make it dual core) on a 680i board (after I see the reviews) with a 8600GT :D

:hehe: who gets to be the "bright" one then?

4. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Three Hundred and Fifteen Watts!!!!! I wonder how the 65nm chips due later on will fare against this. To me, this is getting stupid now. Kentsfield, two of these bad boys in SLI, and all the rest of the gear in your rig, and your looking at one serious amount of power.

Am I the only one concerned about the cost of running today's high end rigs?

Having said that... I still want one really badly :hehe:

Good review as usual. :thumb:

Dugged.... or is that digged? Done it anyway. :hehe:

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I have stared at this article in proofing several times, and you have to find the ONE thing I missed :p

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I was under the impression that those figures were the entire PC's draw, not just the graphics card. Clarification would be good, although could well make me feel like a right plonker :D

8. Omnituens

Omnituens New Member

tbh, some of it was a little tech heavy for me, so i skipped a bit.

you mentioned the dual SLi connector, then "more on that later"

is that in the article, or do you mean another, future article?

9. airchie

airchie New Member

Think I'm gonna have to get one.

Anyone got any word on any good waterblocks being developed for it?

Also, you think it would be good to couple it with a 680i mobo or stick with current gen?

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Active Member

I have to agree with this. It seemed to make the assumption that we all have some idea of how things work and if I'm honest it felt more like reading a book written by a technical author than a magazine article about a graphics card, so I skipped straight to the benches.

11. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

The 1950xtx is cheaper and less hungry, I still want one of these but I dont want to have to go out and buy a 1kw power supply.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I would think it's a graphics card figure rather than a whole system figure.

13. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Active Member

what i was about to ask, i searched the whole article and found nothing on SLI setups for the 8800gtx?

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm not so sure y'see. The system may have had a G80 in it, but I'm guessing it was a bench setup with no case fans, no PCI add-in cards, it only had a single hard disk, probably no opticals. People vastly over-estimate system needs in terms of wattage, and while I can't say I'd be hugely surprised if it turns out that those numbers are graphics card only, I would say I'd be surprised if the overall system wattage for the G80 then breaches 500W on that system.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

BFG have a factory watercooled model, using Danger Den blocks.

16. ParoXoN

ParoXoN New Member

The "Early Z" feature mentioned in the article... Isn't that what ATI's Hierarchical Z buffer does already?

17. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but I prefer to have the option of skipping bits rather than them not being there at all.

Cheers Tim, can't wait to see Oblivion at maximum :hip:

18. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

I wonder how you can claim the 8800's AF is as good as ATI's while you can still clearly see moiree in the cobblestones on the 8800 screenshots. Was it a case of "there cannot be what must not be"?

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

to power hungry for me.... i will wait untill it gets less hungry.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I would doubt that - Bit-tech just wrote off most of Nvidias middle range a couple of weeks ago in their X1950 Pro review.

I do see what you point out, but only in the in-page versions of the pictures. If you click for the big versions and look flick between the 8800 and the ATI versions they look near identical. Certainly I couldn't say either had any noticable moire in the big pics. In the small ones it does appear like there is some in the 8800 though. Interesting that it shows in one and not the other.

Tags: Add Tags