1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaining access to a folder.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hydro_electric_655, 29 Jan 2008.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

My friend had her computer crash (it's been non functioning for ages, it will come on post and load windows but shortly after will crash into a blue screen that says it is dumping physical memory (I think) and it continues counting for hours on end apparently help on fixing that would be nice too) but I have her hard drive in my PC and her documents folder is unaccessible, with the error access is denied. Anyone know how I can get into the folder? It's basically the only folder with anything needing to be saved for sure, but it would be nice to save windows so she can use her PC again she is using a Mac and she doesn't care for it much.

Thanks for any help.

She told me her passwords that might protect the folder, but I have no way of using them.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

That answered my problem, and everything worked out except I have yet to put the HD back in her PC and try to fix that, but if you have problems gaining access to a drive on your machine that uses XP and you have the admin account, that should help you.

3. greenturnips

greenturnips New Member

I've used this method before, but that gets round security, is there anyway to 110% secure a folder.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Use an encrypted container?
    With such programs as best crypt, or drive crypt.
    The container then requires to be mounted on each boot with a password, of which usually then gets mounted as a drive in "my computer".

Windows XP also ofers a built in folder encryption tool by right clicking the folder selecting properties and then advanced you can encrypt a folder, however I recommend you export the access right certificates as you wont be able to regain access to that folder.
    I made this mistake after encrypting a folder, then having to reinstall XP due to a constant blue screen, after reinstall, the certificates where no longer available and I was unable to ever regain access to that folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308989
    Worth a read if your interested in doing this.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2008
  5. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

YES. TrueCrypt.

Used it everywhere. Some of my Databases sit in it. Can create encrypted container without any extension, mount it as a drive, expand size and so forth.

FREE and amazingly secure.

Tags: