1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Galaxy GTX 260+ Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ou7blaze, 16 Jun 2009.

1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

So in response to this thread ( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2016080#post2016080 )where I was asking about an upgrade I finally went ahead and bought a Galaxy GTX 260+ only to plug it in and find it doesn't even boot up.

Not a flicker at all.

At first I thought my 500W PSU wasn't suppying enough power so I unplugged my one and only hard drive, one of the case fans and the DVD drive. So all I had connected to the PSU was the sound card, graphic card, CPU, 2 Gigs of RAM and 1 case fan and yet still no life.

So I thought the problem must be the individual power rails, one must be faulty.

So I tested both on my 7900GS and they worked. However I'm sure the 7900GS doesn't draw nearly as much power as the GTX 260+.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Thank you very much.

A very sad and disappointed ou7blaze who is staring at the GTA4 he can't play yet :(

Last edited: 16 Jun 2009
  2. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hi

I would of thought that your PSU has enough power to run a 260, but it also depends on how many amps the 12V rail has, it should tell you on a sticker thats on the side of the PSU. I doubt this is the problem but may be worth having a look, I don't own a 260 but im guessing that is probably needs around 35 amps on the 12V rail, but I may be wrong on that.

Make sure that all of the cables that go into the card (im not sure on the 260 what pins it needs) but make sure the cables are all ok too.

If it does use a cable that goes directly into the card, (6 or 8 pin) then are you using an adapter via molex conector, or a cable straight out of your PSU?

Finally do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Let us know how it turns out :)

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Thanks for the quick reply Gaz.

To answer some of your questions now.

The 260 needs 2 cables with 6 pins EACH.

As for the cables they are going directly from the PSU to the card, no molex extensions/adapter.

I'll have a look at all of those points now. But for now I'll have to restart my pc for obvious reasons unless you want me to electrocute myself looking at my PC. :D

Oh and nice avatar, great show. :p

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hi

Sorry I was late getting back to you. After having a look at the sticker it looks as if you should be fine as its a "dual rail PSU", so basically that means you have 2 rails each at 19 amps each (I think thats what it said) so in a way you have 38 amps on your 12 V rail which should be plenty. So I don't think its PSU related, but do you have any adapotors that you could use instead of using the ones straight out of the PSU, it might help to eliminate any problems wit the cables.

I take it that your previous card was PCI-e too, but it may be an idea to check in your BIOS that the main graphics adaptor slot is set to PCI-e.

There is a possibilty that the card should be faulty, where did you get it from?

Yeah the IT crowd is mint, can't wait for next series :)

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Hmm, I'm sure the graphics adaptor slot is set to PCI-e since that's what my last card required.

What do you mean when you ask if I have any other adaptors to use instead of the ones straight out of the PSU?

Are there any other possible suggestions or any thing else I can check before I call up the company tomorrow?

I bought the card from a retail supplier at a big Computer centre here in Hong Kong called Golden Computer Shopping arcade. Doubt you'd know it haha, but anyone who's been here knows it's the place to go for cheap hardware/software (sometimes pirated) :p.

When is the next series of IT crowd coming out? Can't wait to see what Moss gets up to this season.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2009
  7. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

lol, ive got to admit ive never been there :p

The only other thing I can suggest is to update your BIOS to the latest version if it's not already, and also make sure if your mobo has integregated graphics that they are disabled.

It seems weird that you don't get anything on screen what so ever, and thats what is making me think that the card may be at fault, if its compatibility it should say something on screen about it, and it should post some bleeps of some description. Does the back light on your screen come on?

If you don't want to update your BIOS (I don't blame you if you don't) then all I can suggest is go back to basics, like making sure the card is placed in the slot correctly etc.

Im guessing that the packaging is similar to here in the UK of GPUs, and on most of the ones ive brought, there has been two plastic strips that you have to peel off the PCI-e bit of the card before installing, I guess they are there to make sure no dust or anything gets in. It maybe a stupid thing, but make sure you have removed these if your card has them.

I take it you want this card to play GTA4?

I haven't got a clue when the next series of the IT Crowd is out tbh, I hope its soon, but the new series of Top Gear starts this sunday, so that will keep me happy for a bit :)

Sorry I can't be of more help

8. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Thanks for all the help.

With all that you've posted it just seems that my Graphics card is faulty.

It has an aftermarket Artic Silver 3 fan cooler on top so it uses a bit more power and is overclocked a bit as well. But it can't be drawing more than 200W on load ... or was it idle (just woke up) :p.

But I'm going to call up Galaxy and see how things go.

I'm quite pissed off that things like this slip through an assembly line. How can a company's quality control let an expensive piece of hardware that doesn't work AT ALL slip through?

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

And yes I can NOT wait for Top Gear, Fifth Gear is OK but I hate them for burning all of Top Gear's stuff down, or that's what Clarkson claims :p I shoulda asked James and May if that was true when I saw em in the Hong Kong airport, they both looked lost as usual LOL.

9. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

lol, yeah they got onwed on that bullet train :)

Let us know how you get on after asking galaxy

Gaz :)

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Does the fans even run for the GPU? If they don't it's a GPU error.

QC is not perfect. That's why RMA exists. If you insist QC must be perfect, than you must too be a person without faults. Or one can insist "How can a school/parent/society let a person that isn't perfect slip through?"

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I'm not that kind of person, no. I didn't insist that QC be perfect I was just surprised it was such an expensive bit of a kit and it didn't work at all out of the box. If you think that I should accept that then that's a bit ridiculous, no?

Anyway, I went to Galaxy and they put my card on a test rig and somehow it worked perfectly. Me and the tech guy were very confused.

Paranoid it was my computer I went home with the replacement they gave me and it all works fine now. Sometimes computers are just confusing. :confused:

I'm surprised how with my system specs (read original post above) I can run Crysis on Ultra settings now with no slowdown whatsoever and I can run the ARMA2 demo on ultra settings although at 10~30fps.

I just have to ask one question now.

I'm trying to overclock but I can't find the card's core/memory speeds on the internet at least for my particular card.

It's the Galaxy GTX 260+ with what looks like a huge Artic Silver custom cooler on it with 3 fans, that's the best I can describe it. But try as I might I can't find it anywhere on the net.

I've only managed to find a pic of it :/

http://www.modernopc.com/store/images/large/gfe_GTX260_LRG.jpg

Last edited: 26 Jun 2009
  12. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father