1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME Group enters its final day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Mar 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

It's called bankruptcy. ;)

2. erratum1

erratum1 New Member

It's amusing how some of the posters are happy.

Those 6000 will be on benefits, and have their rent paid also some claiming child benefit....and where do benefits come from YOUR TAXES.

Everyone shops online now it's easier and more convenient, you can shop for a bargain 24hr with a cup of coffee sat in a chair.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Thought as much, wasn't 100% sure though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I thought with this on the way they would be selling things on the cheap. I went into a Game on Friday to see if there were any bargains to be had. But no. Prices hadn't changed. Bah

5. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I feel horrible for the poor staff that will be losing their jobs. I would imagine that most GAME employee's are of a young age (say 18-20 something). The unemployment rate in that age bracket is already at an all time high.

I don't feel sympathy however, for a company that refused to change. I've not purchased a game from either of the store brands for over 5years as I can find it cheaper online. The pre-owned prices were terrible for both buying and selling (I use ebay and amazon to sell/buy pre-owned games) and PC section was totally neglected.

The company itself deserve what it gets, it's just a shame that their refusal to evolve as a company will kill off so many jobs.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, the Game group also used a company called Shoppermap, which counts everyone going in and out of the store, does a headcount so to speak. Obviously they're not required anymore which means my Dad's job there is redundant. I've just spent my points and got a PSN voucher.. also earnt 37p of further points lol!

7. Jehla

Jehla Member

Probably still cheaper than shopping in their stores :p

8. warejon9

warejon9 New Member

The only thing Game had to offer were the consoles stations, so you could briefly play a game, but i can't remmeber when they decided to get rid of those in my local store, they effectively imho tried to turn into an online store within the retail space, and failed.

As far as the 6k people potentially being on benefits, although they will get those from taxes they will be spending 99% of that money on items, which will still be taxed one way or another. Also this is exactly what happened when i was at Original Shoe Company (which went into administration due to JJB), most of the people working there already had jobs before the place went. The people i felt sorry for were the shop managers as quite a few of them didn't have degrees (not necesarily a bad thing) but only had experience of a shop manager, and not much else.

I'm currently looking for a job as well, and there are plenty out there, you just might have to adapt, and potentially change career direction.

9. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I'm happy to support a business which adapts and trades responsibly and also respects its customers and stays informed.

But let's face it, GAME feels more like a newsagent which sells a few budget games in the back.

hell even pc world has more going for it than game did in the last 10 year's.

I'm certainly not going to stump up high prices coupled with a complete disregard for my platform.

Like I said sad for the staff and I understand the implications of high taxes, I am a 50% tax payer and according to a press release recently 1% of the uks tax payers foot 28% of the bill.

But I hope this paves the way for a real game company to come in now, so let's keep positive.

The group has potential investors let's hope some of them know what they are doing and turn the group around.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

10. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X New Member

Unless anyone being made redundant by game has a side in arranging containerised goods to the far east, I doubt my business will be affected.

Further to this, its only 2500 or so staff being made redundant. Meaning they have a package to tide them over until they get a better job. Not to mention that the DWP lavishes ridiculous amounts of help onto large scale redundancies like this, and that the main group out on their bums is in the 18-24 year old group, they have a very good chance of getting a better job out of this than they had in the first place.

And in reference to the short sightedness, I was using it in relation to why anyone should support a company that contributes very little to either its own workforce, or to society as a whole. This is the company that monopolised the high st games market and muscled out every bit of competition, then went crying to everyone who would listen when supermarkets and online kicked their butts rather than came back and refreshed their outdated business practices.

11. brave758

brave758 New Member

:( , sad news

12. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

I went in there last week and all the good stuff was out of stock, they'll just be desperate to shift the large amount of unpopular or old stock now. So if you need a 4 year old DS game you might get a good deal, but any remotely popular stuff is likely gone and they havent had any new stock coming in for a week or 2 now.

13. ADJB

ADJB New Member

1 & 4, Gift cards and pre-order deposits are essentially the same thing - An unsecured, no interest loan to the company with a view that goods can be acquired at a later date. As the company is now in administration these loans (debts to the customer) are the same as any other debt - In other words get in line with the rest of the unsecured creditors. .....and your at the back of the queue.

Also with reward cards and gift cards it can be considered that they amount to credit and as a company in administration Game will not be allowed to have credit dealings.

2, You still have your statutory rights with the manufacturer. Best of luck with that one.

It stinks but thats the way it goes.

A partial list of the stores to close is here.

http://gamerspy.co.uk/game-and-gamestation-list-of-confirmed-closed-stores

No doubt the full list tomorrow before the rent falls due.

mars-bar-man likes this.
  14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

+rep

Thanks for the answers :)

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

this is a slightly better list, the gamespy one is a bit misleading for instance:

There are [were] *3* GAME stores [+1 gamesation, which has also closed], 2 of which have closed.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2012
  16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Sad to see them go really (just from a nostalgic point of view) and I hope the staff find new work soon.

Not sad to see them go from the point of view of their 'pre-owned' con. Not happy to settle with the fact they were paying less for the game than they would wholesale, they then went to sell them on at an inflated price, which together with the 'online pass' cost you more than the new game to start with. For this they deserved their fate. They got so greedy and fat that they then were not agile enough move when they eventually saw that people were buying elsewhere. Complacency was their biggest downfall.

It was going to happen sooner or later anyway as very shortly there will be no 'media' associated with games and therefore nothing to sell.

17. lucas4

lucas4 New Member

Feel sorry for the employees, but couldn't care about the company.

In a competitive market their prices forced this upon them along with bad decisions. A shop specializing in the sale of video games is unlikely to survive when the supermarket 20 secs round the corner has better prices and choice.

18. fluxtatic

fluxtatic New Member

Worst of it is, at least if it works there as it does here in the States, the execs will likely land nice jobs somewhere else. As if these weren't the idiots that drove the company into the ground headfirst. Meanwhile the grunts from the trenches end up on the dole because corporations can't pull their heads out of their asses and look past this quarter's results. (Corps are legally people, ergo they have asses, legally speaking.)

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

While correct if a company is still trading - if they go bust you have to get in line with the other creditors.

The biggest creditor gets 'first dibs' and usually very little is left. Certainly somebody owed some money for a game pre-order has no chance of seeing that again.

20. greigaitken

greigaitken Member

Game, it's staff and those high street properties provide games but have massive costs to do so. They dont add any value to the product. Thus the whole business seems redundant. Like blockbusters - they should've went online and competed when they had the cash

Tags: Add Tags