1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Game Of Thrones review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Real shame as we have had some brilliant RPGs recently such as Skyrim and Amalur. The thought of exploring Westeros in a Skyrim style game is what I had in my mind. Don't think i'll be picking this up.

3. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

A large porion of games based on a TV series or Movie often fall short and ruin the valiant efforts of others and seems they try too hard to match the original, either that or these games are not being developed by the right studios.

4. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Reminds of the Wheel of Time video game pretty much flopping.

5. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

This game was in production before the tv series, explains some of the differences.

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

There was a WoT game?!?! There is so much detail it's staggering it could ever be ****ed up!

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this is disappointing I was really hoping for something decent

8. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Wow. A game made off of a movie or TV show....and your saying its bad. This is surprising.

/sarcasm

9. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game)

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index17.shtml
    GameSpy gave it good reviews, but when I played it ("The Wheel of Time was one of the best titles you've never played."), I wasn't too plussed by it.

10. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I'm suprised this got as high as a 50%, the review kinda glossed over 2 of the bigger failings of the game which are the lack of combat animations in the type of game where you mostly watch the fights (DA:O style), and the locales having nothing interesting to explore or show off consisting mostly of different brick styles on the hallway walls you run down.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Has anyone here actually played the game?

I've been playing it for a few days now and really don't see this "mostly watching fights" that you're talking about, CowBlazed.

This game isn't for everyone - the reviews of this game on the internet remind me of the reviews of Mount and Blade when it first came out. Sure, some of the production values could have been better and the game looks dated...but it's fun to play, the story is immersive and it's really quite difficult if you're playing on the harder setting.

If you're after a huge AAA title that's polished and perfect in every way then this isn't it. If you liked Mount & Blade despite it's flaws, and if you're a fan of the GoT/ASoIaF series of shows/books then you will almost certainly want to play this game. It isn't going to go down in the history books as the best RPG ever made but it doesn't *have* to do that to still be fun.

Looking at a small stack of AAA games next to my desk for a moment, I consider my £30 on the GoT RPG well spent...far better spent than:

Far Cry 2
    Brink
    Mass Effect 2
    Dragon Age 2
    Sacred 2
    Empire at War
    Command and Conquer 3
    Red Alert 3
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River
    FEAR 2
    King Arthur
    Order of War

...all of which are gathering dust next to me, and none of which were as much fun as the GoT RPG is.

Tags: Add Tags