1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Game recommendations

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by eek, 9 Mar 2009.

1. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Righto, the bad news is that I'm only 24 and have just been diagnosed with cancer.

The good news however is that I now have 6 months off work for chemo so have made an executive decision to buy myself a PS3... The question is, what games should I get/look out for to see me through? I'm up for most things, apart from singstar!

(before anyone starts, I have seen similar threads of this nature in the past, however given that new games are being released all the time I figured they'd be somewhat dated)

2. bahgger

bahgger New Member

Mirror's Edge
    FIFA 09
    Killzone 2
    Resident Evil 5
    Tom Clancy's HAWX
    Skate 2

Hope everything goes well, best of luck!

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Have managed to get hold of GTA IV and Killzone 2 so they should keep me occupied for a little while!

I've also read that Red Alert 3 is due to play better on the PS3 than any other platform... should be sweet when it comes out at the end of the month! (although the announcement was by EA ;))

4. Red Eye

Red Eye Member

Metal Gear Solid 4

I wouldn't forget some of the wonderful PS2 games out there in which case I'd suggest Ico & Shadow of the Colossus.

5. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Yeah GTA IV is great and Killzone 2 is eating my sparetime up at the mo.

COD:MW or WaW if you want more FPS action.

LittleBigPlanet lots of fun and if you get into the level building it's very addictive.

Check some of the games on the Playstation Store (i'm asuming you'll be online), there are some gems on it. (NobyNobyBoy - raaandom but amusing, Warhawk - the orignal "killer app" for the PS3, LocoRoco Cocoreccho - oddly mesmerising, to name a few).

Make sure you add your PSN name to this thread and take some names down add to your friends list. (I'm rubbish at replying to messages tho, only realised on sunday kenco-uk sent me a message last month asking if Killzone2 was any good, and i still haven't replied, sorry kenco!!! my rambling review is here)

Hope the chemo goes well :thumb:

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

if your into arcade non realistic racing games burnout paradise is alot of fun and a steal since it is very cheap.

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Yeah COD is on my list of games to get, not sure whether to go WaW or MW though, seems to be mixed opinion on which is better!

I'll check out burnout and the psn store - cheap games are always good for bulking out a collection.

I also just ordered a whole load of blu-rays, can't wait to see the likes of reservoir dogs in full HD glory!

8. riggs

riggs ^_^

Retail
    Killzone 2
    LittleBigPlanet
    Burnout Paradise
    Dead Space
    GTA IV
    Uncharted (an oldie, but still one of the best games on the PS3 imo)

PSN
    Super Stardust
    flOwer

Good luck mate!

"buster2006" - PSN ID

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

NHL 2009
    Fifa 2009
    Call of duty 5
    Street Fighter

From psn store:
    3 on 3 arcade hockey

I hated killzone 2, the aiming I wasn't happy with, so traded it in. Little big planet was awesome for the first few hours, and was even better with friends, but I got bored fast... Not a big ps3 person, use mine mainly for cod5, and sports games, and street fighter...

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It will play alot better than the 360 version due to the processing power, but the PC will still be much better.
    I've really enjoyed The Force Unleashed, nothing better than throwing things around.

Sam

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Really blows to hear you've got the big c. Hope the chemo clears it up.

LBP is really good fun. The story levels are great, with some incredible levels. I'm still stuck on the Bunker level - it's a real test of platforming skills. The online levels are great, too. Some are a bit naff, others are short but on the whole there are some really fun levels.

Burnout Paradise is quite addictive and is infinitely replayable. The sandbox is a fair size and it's great fun just zooming around.

Uncharted-Drakes Fortune is a really great game. It's very cinematic in its presentation and isn't overbearingly difficult.

If you want to rock the hell out, Guitar Hero 3 is good.

GTA4 is damn good fun with a good story.

If you like a challenge, Virtua Fighter 5 will do the job.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2009
  12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Motorstorm 2.

Great Game.

13. books

books New Member

Streetfighter 4 is a must. I don't own a PS3 but my friend does and we've been playing it all weekend. It's amazing :) Not only is it fun to play and play, but there are lots of characters that need unlocking, so you have to play through the single player as each character in the game and it unlocks a new one. It's a LOT of gameplay right there and I couldn't see myself getting bored of it quickly. My friend has been playing it for a long time and he is starting to get really good now.

We also played a lot of Tiger Woods 2009. It's a really pretty game, really fun and chilled out. Not action packed, but still seems to be a lot of fun. A bunch of us played it together and it's really funny and can be exciting when you are competing with each other. You also can make your own character and play it single player and that seems to be pretty addictive and a lot of fun too because you enjoy the game but you enjoy building up your character too.

He also got Madden (09?) which was fairly complex and complicated and we were all terrible at it. But it looks like the kind of game that if you can put quite a bit of time in to it, it would be a lot more rewarding than most games in the long term. The more you put in, the more you learn and the more you get out of it.

Good luck to you.

14. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

Burnout, Motorstorm & PES2009 are my favs

15. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I found LBP for 12.99 on Play, I couldn't resist at that price! Unfortunately the gf also spotted singstar on there...

The one thing I seem to be lacking is good multiplayer games (local, not online). I have a constant stream of visitors these days and I always find myself going back to the Wii and firing up Mario Kart for some 4-way action. I'm torn between street fighter, fifa, or a good old fashioned racing game (motorstorm? burnout?) to fill this void. I guess I'll see what deals are around!

Thanks for the suggestions

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

if your looking for good multiplayer games that are non-online here are a few i have tried and have been fun

PS3

Rockband / GH
    Burnout Party (each person get's to attempt a challenge. the one who completes / wins the challenge get's points. The person with the most points at the end of the set of challenges wins)

Wii

GH/Rockband
    Rayman Ravin Rabids
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    The aforementioned Mario Kart

If your ever up for some online gaming i am usually home ardoun 7pm EST and online until around 12. (once i played Burnout for 12 hrs straight :D. my PSN name is lcdguy.

17. khalabuth

khalabuth New Member

mua2

marvel ultimate alliance 2

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Brutal Legend, at the end of next week.

Hope the chemo goes well.

19. Motoko

Motoko New Member

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted: Among Thieves, which should be out on the 16th!

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Grab yourself a G25 for when GT5 is released :)