1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows game skills

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by M_D_K's Dad, 20 Jun 2004.

1. M_D_K's Dad

M_D_K's Dad What's a Dremel?

Hi i'm new at first person shoot em up games
    are there any ways to improving other then practice

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

Play against real people its the best way to learn tricks and techniques, also try to play a variety of fps games as then the skills and techniques you develop can be easily ported over to other games.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

make sure you're getting a good framerate. i find that helps a lot.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Got to play on live servers againt real opponents, its a completley different game to playing against computer generated AI.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Id say play against bots but just increase the hardness for a while until you feel you're good enough to beat them easily then play humans. Humans act like humans and are generally unpredictable but they are also bloody good and crap ones and usually on a live server youll get your ass kicked by the best relentlessly if you're unfamilure with the game.

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

belongs they aint cheaters :grr:

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Practice.
    Practice.
    Practice.
    Practice.

Try some noob servers at first and progress from there.

8. M_D_K's Dad

M_D_K's Dad What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  9. Malavon

Malavon What's a Dremel?

cod as in Call of Duty? I didn't like that game much tbh... Anyway, what I would advise you do is find a type of FPS you like: realisitc (CS/Raven shield), or unrealisitc (UT2k4/Quake etc). If you play one game at get moderately good at it, then it can be extremely hard to play the other type of FPS.

The main way I would suggest to get good is by practice. Try against bots first, play offline and learn the maps, then go online and try against players.

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I would completely disagree. 99% of FPS share the same list of keys (with one or two exceptions) they all do basically the same sort of thing in the shooting department, and getting good at one gives you a massive headstart if you try something else. After that you just gotta get used to different 'feel' of the controls, and stuff like different abilities to go prone, jump, lean etc. But essentially they all boil down to a test of reactions and hand to eye coordination.

I'd recommend Counterstrike as the lowest common denominator of FPS's, as it does everything very well and with little frills or additional distractions. And it's not to hard to become atleast modestly successful at due to the relatively moderate pace of game play. After that progress onto more difficult games like COH and RB6 series for a more complete experience and much tougher, unforgiving damage and environments.

11. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

cs isn't a good game to get experience quick as you have to wait for new rounds to start and everyone else has been playing it for years :)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hell yea, once you are good at one then all the others fall into place. Sure you have to learn the new engine and get a grasp for its responce and "feeling" of movement and style etc but its all generally interchangable skills.

CS - dont bother. 90% of the people have been playing since the early beta days and youll get raped.

13. Malavon

Malavon What's a Dremel?

I would disagree with that. After playing CS for about 2 years, I found it EXTREMELY hard to play UT2k4. I automatically tried to aim for the head, which in a game like that is just a waste of time and often gets you killed; especially as HS don't make any difference (I think anyway). It didn't take me too long to get back into it though, but that was only because I used to play Quake 3 hardcore (had 16 way lans at school, I always won with at least three times there score. One match I had 350 and the next closest had just hit 100 :p)

So yeah.. I stick by my comment. Pick one and then play that. It makes things easier in the long run.

14. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

Well I can honestly say that I found it very easy to transfer skills between games. I used to play a hell of a lot of cs (don't play any games whatsoever now) and it was very easy to adapt to games like dod, hl, bf1942, desert combat, ut2k3, ut2k4, sof2 etc etc after a couple of minutes of playing.

15. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

theres only one way

set your bots to godlike
    set the game mode to at least 135 % of normal game speed
    die ALOT

then after two months play against real people and realise how much your reaction times have improved

16. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

play with instagib game modes as well, it'll teach you not to miss first time :)

17. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

Bots on nightmare will do wonders for your accuracy but nothing for team play / tactics. Best thing to do is to play on a server well above your level, you'll get caned at first but you'd be supprised how much you level will increase :]

18. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Totally. After a few hours you get used to different ways the game responds and the slightly different damage models etc, but the same sort of basic skills will apply right across the board. At the end of the day they all rely on you shooting someone else before they shoot you.

As for CS being too hard, I disagree completely. The more leisurely pace of the game gives noobs a far better chance to atleast have a decent game than the more deathmatchy games like UT etc. Theres far fewer keys to worry about, and the maps are really simple to learn.

19. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

I would say that cs is harder to get into because people are so good at it and it takes a little while to get used to the 'crouch-takeaim-controlled' shots style of play where as with deathmatch style games its more 'see how long you can hold the trigger down for' tyoe of play :D

20. Malavon

Malavon What's a Dremel?

Yes, but were you actually any good at either games? I do think it's harder to transfer from UT to CS though, as (and you can't deny this) it is a much different style of FPS. The other way round isn't as hard, but you still find yourself crouching and aiming for heads, rather than just holding it down to spray and prey.

Tags: