1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game sold me a pre-owned console as new

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mushky, 6 Jul 2007.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

And it get's better.. The warranty sticker is messed up and the bit of silver tape near the drive has obviously been screwed up.

I already took it back because the spring was missing off the faceplate that holds the controller port shut. I didn't notice the warranty sticker until it came back from getting a new faceplate in the shop.

Fair play to whoever returned it like that :rock: but I'm not happy that game sold it to me as new. The box looked new, all the stickers were well on. Did notice it was made nearly a year ago!

fuming!

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I ones bought a new ds game (on the day of release aswell) to find that there was a save on it! now i alwasy ask for my game sealed, or i go else where :p

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

it was sealed! :)

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sue them :p

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Upon further investigation it seems that the drive has been flashed, but badly. Open tray error.

The thing is, I might know too much about it for them to believe me when I return it. I honestly haven't opened this console but I have done other ones so I know what to look for. This could get interesting!

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That is pretty damn awful, it's unacceptable from the only remaining major high street retailer of games, even if it was an accident. I would contact trading standards personally.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Shove it up theirs. All the way up.

8. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Same thing happened to me at my local game. Got mariokart for the DS and noticed all the special items unlocked. Probably due to Games return policy which some people treated as a glorified rental service!

However a preowned tampered console being sold as new is well dodgy. Lucky you found out early.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Has happened to me also with DS games - Warioware came 88% unlocked and 76 stars were unlocked for me in Mario 64 DS, I also had a DS lite from there which had a non-responsive touch screen and saved names already on it. Was not happy. I used to only shop at Gamestation because of it, but since their buyout by game, I only trade-in old games there occasionally for cash and I then spend it on play.com. That when I don't get games free of course :D

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Good thing you noticed it. If that thing bricked on you and you sent it to MS they wouldn't have repaired it due to the warranty sticker being tampered. Just try to argue with their logic. Why would you buy a brand new system, flash the drive, rip off the warranty sticker, break the controller port, and then try to return it ALL on the first day of ownership? Who do they think you are, Mr. Bean?

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I bet someone has bought a new core, then put this badly modded console in the packaging, then returned it. He's done one over on game but they aren't doing one over on me. That particular shop hasn't got any more cores in stock apparently, but they advertise pre-owned systems. I'm going in there tomorrow to hand out some grief. Hopefully it will be busy.:D

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Thanks mate but I think I'd rather deal with this one face to face if possible. I want answers damn it :lol:

14. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Definately a trading standards job, but should be far more advantageous shall we say, to deal with Game first...

tbh, I'm pretty certain that Microsoft (if not Game themselves) should be able to track where and when that console was first sold.

- Threaten trading standards action... maybe even to go public on it.
    Take 'em for everything they've got!

Would be very interesting to find out how they react to this.. Might even be worth trying to record any conversation you have with Game about it for possible future actions.

Good luck!

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I remember with my Xbox and PS2, for the warranty to be valid I had to register my consoles using their unique serial numbers. If you get any grief, you could check to see if it's been registered to somebody.

Oh, and if you don't get this sorted in Game, not only go to trading standards, but bill game for your time without console. :p

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Just got back from game with a premium to replace it. Just the console. Luckily the manager was coming out of the backroom just as I walked in. It was nice and busy too. He changed it without a fuss and was a genuine guy. He's only been working there for 4 weeks bless him :) He was genuinely interested in what happened and didn't disbelieve me.

The actual shop assistant bloke that sold it to me was there as well, looking a bit awkward. He gingerly asked if I'd had problems with it and I explained, which got him looking very pensive.

This one looks OK and it's a lot quiter than the other one, so it's all good. Apart from the stupid silver tray which I thought I'd seen the last of when I got rid of my broken premium :duh:

Last edited: 7 Jul 2007
  17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Is that legal? At least in the US, they're obligated to provide full warranty whether or not you've registered. Of course, they're allowed to give you incentive to register by extending the standard warranty, but they can't ignore what's advertised if you haven't registered the thing.

Anyways, glad to hear you got it sorted out mushky.

18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Yeah, thinking about it retailers are supposed to provide (I think) at least a 2 year warranty or more. registering meant that Miocrosoft would replace the console if the retailer went out of business and entered you into a prize draw, or something.

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

just a little update..
    console died last night, within 12 months of purchase. Tried taking it back to game and they wouldn't accept it because it was a premium console in a core box :duh:

the manager is in tomorrow, time to go and kick off in the middle of a busy store again. YAY

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That sucks, make sure you get the manager about. At least you know the date when you went in from the dates on this board, that way they can check their records if there's any debate. :)