1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Atmosfear The Video Board Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

DungeonQuest (aka Talisman I think, published here by Games Workshop), was a great game when I was growing up. upto 4 players (Knight, Ranger, Barbarian and Dwarf) each start in a corner of the laberynth and have to get to the center and back with as much treasure as they can carry without waking the dragon or being stuck in the laberynth by the end of the day (sun counter that progresses along the sun track after each round).

The game board itself is blank with the treasure-room and starting points the only set rooms. At the start of the players turn a room tile is picked at random from the game box which then defines the path through the dungeon and the room types (normal, trap, cave-in, chasm, locked door, corridor (extra turn)) and room cards (monster, dead body, trap, potions, treasure, etc...) define events within each room.

Great fun.

edit:
    looking through some of the out of print GW games The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (boardgame) looks interesting, I remember reading/playing the game book of that when I was little, dad bought it along with the spectrum version of the game. Think I've still got it (the book, not sure where the speccy tape has got to ) although there are pages falling out now - it's older than I am.)

Last edited: 18 May 2009
  3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Talisman was awesome. :) Later on, Warhammer Quest was pretty good as well. Except the party we had got maxed and got bored, so we ended up rewriting the level system up to 30, instead of the previous cap of 10.

Ah, good times...

Never played Atmosfear, the one time I played one of those video board games, it wasn't exactly amazing so I never bothered to buy any myself.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i loved key to the kingdom

and also a pirate game that had luminous peices but i cant remember the name of now

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Talisman sounds a little similar to Hero Quest. I bought a copy of that when I was about 10 and always wanted to play it, but nobody else ever wanted to so I just ended up fiddling with the different bits. It wasn't until about 10 years later they had found friends of sufficent geek-status to join in with me.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Some of the more modern board games shouldn't be forgotten either.

Nobody will play Scene It with me and my other half, as our movie geekery knows no bounds (at least within our circle of friends/family). :(

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

oh, you like board games? hear my recommendation:

RISK: 2210.

do not confuse this for average, boring, classic RISK. no, this one is based in the future, with a bunch of added complexity. you have five general types, each one capable of playing specific command cards or attacking/invading specific areas of the map. there's also the small addition of sea territories. and the moon. and you can nuke earth from space. and i'm gushing, so i'll stop.

it's so good. 5 player only, 5 turns each. just be warned, because of the turn limit people can get a little too carried away with time. we've had a game run to 7 hours. but don't let that put you off - we mainly took so much time because we were arguing over the rules - you can knock a game out in 3 hours if you all know what you're doing. i strongly recommend it. strongly!

i loved atmosfear. i remember my friend had this, and the sequel with a character called 'the baron'. you had to turn the heating up just before you started playing so the room got hotter and hotter. fun times,

Last edited: 18 May 2009
  8. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Hero Quest.

It's still knocking around my parents attic somewhere, along with all the expansions to it. That got me into Warhammer, which got me into Roleplaying, which got me my wife.

BradShort likes this.
  9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Disappointingly, a load of us got together at the weekend to play Zombies!!!: Second Edition and it wasn't as good as it could have been. It was fun and all, but the event cards weren't nearly as inventive or exciting as they could have been and the game felt far too serious because of it.

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

settlers of catan, carcassonne. first one beautiful in it complexity (we invented rules to make it a lot more interesting, made lager boards by combining two games) the second in its simplicity.(but not too simple...) those are technically speaking no board games, but i think they fall in the same category

and for some mindless fun: jungle speed. but technically, that is not a board game either.

11. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

If that was a skill test, that must have been an awesome dice roll.

:p

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Settlers of Catan is epic, we have the original, an expansion and the sea version at home (Though I think the original is the best, I have never tried with more than one set).

One we have played a bit recently is Ticket to Ride, which is pretty good fun too, but no where near as epic as Settlers.

13. Red 5

Red 5 New Member

Sorry, off topic, but I'm always reminded of this:

14. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

+1 Heroquest was awesome! 8 hr marathons were the norm thru the night with beers and smokes :p:rock:

15. hardflipman

hardflipman New Member

the Starcraft boardgame is good. quite complex and strategic. i've got civilization as well but it's a VERY long game!
    warhammer quest was good but good luck trying to get that for a reasonable price these days. i sold mine years ago and wish i hadn't! also on the games workshop theme is space hulk. only 2 players but quite quick and good fun

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The space hulk (space crusade) game I had was 4 player - 3 marine (Red (Blood Angels) / Blue(Ultramarines) / Yellow (Imperial Fist)), 1 Dungeon Master (Xeno/Chaos Marine/Ork) player.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Careful, Space Hulk was Space Marines vs Genestealers aboard an infected ship.

Space Crusade was similar, but pitted Space Marines against Orcs, Gretchin, Choas, Genestealers AND Eldar if you bought the expansion pack. It even had a Dreadnaught. My earliest, and fondest, memories of board games often include Space Crusade, and it actually introduced me to GW as a whole and the subsequent obligitory 5 year interest in it.

18. Skutbag

Skutbag New Member

+1 for Hero Quest

+1 for beers and smokes too!

-1 for not being a teenager anymore and not having the time or social circle to get away with marathon sessions anymore :(

Tags: Add Tags