1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: EVE Online

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Apr 2009.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I might try it. The idea of it really appeals to me so I might give it a go in the summer when I've got a lot of free time.

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hey Hamish, can I buy / have your acct if you've got any goodies in it?

Oh, and Mister_X, don't feel so bad, I wrapped my faction CNR around a post a few nights back. Total Mods lost: 2 Navy Launchers (90M), Kaikkas XL Booster (390M), Caldari Navy Boost Amp (85M), a Caldari Navy BCU (45M), the ship and rigs itself (250M), and a few T2 Mods (they're so cheap that they don't matter. Really). So around 860M to some rats. Oh well, **** happens.

3. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

"Eventually though, you get this burning desire, like a flame rekindled, to dig out and fire up that classic for some nostalgia gaming"

I have that burning desire also to return to Eve, but I just don't have the heart to advance a new character to the level my original one had (I sold my character :( ).

The best time I had was when I stayed up 2 days as part of a massive Fixian Defence force helping BOB out when a hostile alliance (Don't remember who) were putting heavy pressure on our borders.

The good days!

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

What happened to BOB? just looked at the territory maps and there gone :eek: Bloody Goonswarm

5. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I've never seen EVE online besides on a few screenshots, but the 3 posts above do make it look awesome :D

7. Millusdk

One of the things i like is that if you just play by the rules set up by the game it self, that is not use some bug or other exploit, ccp pretty much lets you get away with almost anything... As the case of BOB's disban proves.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hah! That's pretty hilarious. I started playing EVE about 3 years ago and got bored of it when corp activity had slowed down (by this time I think it was my 3rd corp, first 2 had died). Same thing happened when I picked it up again last year (although time/money constraints were the main problems). Like most MMOs a good corp/guild will make the game so much better. I'd love to get into EVE again but I think I will get rather bored again, solo mining/missioning gets really boring after a while and I don't think I really have the skill to play in 0.0.

9. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

The only advice to you is keep your head up, and stick in there with it! Depending on the alliance/corp you join, it may take months for you to get a proper grasp of the game and be able to do things.

It's the politics of the game I love. Just one big Sandbox where the players make there own rules (Excluding Empire space that is :) ) and the player base generally is of a more mature nature!

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

just that by itself is a great thing. I don't think I would ever get into this kind of game however, but you never know !

11. Millusdk

@Ghys:
    You can always give it a try with the 14 days trial.

12. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

ouch! thats alot of credits !

Don't think it would be so bad If i had a regular income stream, but i don't as yet. and the Corp I was in dissolved :( Still to find a decent one)

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

If I were ever to start playing an MMO, I'm sure it would be this. I just don't like the idea of paying monthly for a game.

:/

14. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

This is often a difficult pill to swallow, I was the same prior to my first MMO. Personally, I justify it by remembering that it pays a development team working full time on creating new content for game, updated server hardware for better performance and (in many cases) customer support.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Plus when you find an MMO you love you buy less games. I found when I played I didn't buy so many of the crappier games that were pretty good but nothing amazing as the MMO took up the time those games were to fill. An MMO is actually probably the best VFM you can get.

16. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

If grind is your thing maybe. Don't get me wrong EVE is a superb game but I've seen what 5 hours of mining can do to people. You end up as an extra in Left4dead.:D
    MMO's are ludicrus time sinks.
    Games like CS:Source are much better VFM IMO as the modding community keep it alive. All for a one off payment.

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

EVE is not for everyone. Imagine getting a PhD in RL. There is a similar level in commitment needed for EVE as a PC Gamer.
    If you are still reading, drop whatever you are doing in EVE and find a 0.0 alliance that holds sov. You will learn and earn more there, do NOT under any circumstance sit in Empire/Low-sec, that is the path to the Zombie side.

Enjoy,
    S*D

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I think if I go back to EVE again I think I might jump in something cheap as my ship such as a frigate or cruiser and have a go with a 0.0 alliance.

19. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Agreed, 0.0 is where the action is but I recall from my time on Eve when BOB was taking on ASCN, it took ASCN 6 months of organised mining etc to get the parts and minerals to build their first Titan class ship. That's not lite entertainment thats a job.
    You need to be Jedi to play EVE i.e hold the deepest commitment.:D

20. waffle911

waffle911 Grappling with Torque Steer Daily

There is a saying, if I recall correctly, from before Goon wiped the floor with BOB:
    Being in BOB is not like a second job; it is a primary job supported by whatever your real-life job is.

As for anyone who tried it before but didn't bite, I don't blame you. My first try was back in the Exodus expansion ('06 I believe), and the tutorial was 6 FRIGGEN HOURS LONG. But I stuck to my guns and I did it, I was so hooked during that 14-day trial that my English grade took a noticeably steep nosedive. I decided not to buy in at that point.
    Then came the summer of 2007, coming back from summer camo and meeting someone else who played EVE and got me back into it. It stuck for a couple months and then I stopped. By then, however, he tutorial was a SCANT 40 MIN. AT WORST. I haven't seen what the new rookie experience has to offer, but I've heard it is excellent at getting through the basics, starting shallow in character creation before getting deep—no more choosing race, then bloodline, then profession then placing stats before even knowing what any of that even means. Plus, if you think later on that your stats would have been better distributed some way different, you can change them; you get to re-distribute stat-points once every year. Because a lot of people put stat points in Charisma because it must be awesome. No, it really isn't for most purposes. But you didn't know that when first putting your character together.
    Then they introduced Epic Mission Arcs. These are long, multi-part mission arcs that you can start in as a noob, in all adding up to enough start-up cash to stop noobs from begging (how does 20-30 mil sound in 2 weeks after starting out clueless? My first trial account I only got up to 3 mil in that same time period!), but also gets them a lot of the experience they need to start having fun in the game. Plus, they now have tutorial agents in a "career funnel" to help you get started in one of the three primary profession categories: business, industry/manufacturing, and military. I always had wanted to get into manufacturing, but hadn't a clue how to get to that point. Now I'm working on improving my first blueprints and maxxing out relevant skills to start producing.
    And, just because you were capable of flying a ship did not mean you were qualified for flying it well. Now there is a certificate planner, which helps in making decisions on what skills to train to make more effective use of that shiny new cruiser you just bought. Not only that, but no more babysitting low-level skills so you can maximize skill-learning potential: you can put together a queue of the skills you want to begin training within the next 24 hrs. so you can set it and forget it until tomorrow, or next week if you plan a long skill for last. It basically has only gotten more real-life friendly since the latest expansion.
    OK, I'm done selling it, just download it and get started already!

P.S. If you have a Steam account, you can get an extended 30-day trial instead of the regular 14-day trial; plus, if you are invited to try it by another player, you can also get a 30-day trial this way instead. For existing players, if someone you introduce to the game signs up for a full paying account, you get 30 days of free game time.

And, if you do end up making lots of money in-game, you can even begin to play for free by buying pilot's license extensions (PLEX) in-game for ISK. People can buy PLEX for real money and have the option of using it themselves or selling it to another player for ISK. They started doing this to curb the incentive for lazy players to buy money from ISK/gold sellers who end up stealing accounts or scamming people in other nefarious ways (though it would serve them right in my opinion).

That reminds me of another saying in EVE:
    When a player leaves EVE to return to WoW because EVE is "too difficult", the average IQ of both player bases goes up.
    A bit childish and elitist to be sure, but none the less true to an extent. For one thing, it's pretty hard for someone under the age of 14 to grasp quite how deep EVE is. This helps keep many of the whiny snot-nosed brats away. There are still plenty of trolls and immature players, but they are generally of a higher caliber–if such can be said of these people–than you will likely find in other MMO's.

Tags: Add Tags