1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Games Ripping

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dinjo_jo, 17 Feb 2009.

1. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

I want to know how games are ripped , as i want to rip Prince of Persia which is about 7 GB on original disc and i wanted to burn it on a dvd which only has 4.9 Gb.I googled it and found that there are many rippers who actually compressed/ripped the games and they have compressed it to 3 GB only.Can someone please guide me.

2. dogdude16

dogdude16 What's a Dremel?

People might not help you, because it seems like you are pirating the game.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

No, he's legally safe, the EULA permits you to make one physical copy for personal safety/storage/whatever. I did it to a lot of my games a few years ago, and it paid off when the original discs were so scratched to **** that they stopped working.

You can't rip a full =<8Gb disc and then burn the image to a 4.7Gb disc, I believe most modern retail media is on dual-layer discs (don't see how else they'd get 8Gb on a DVD-5 specification disc) so you'll have to buy a DVD+DL rewriter drive (you may already have one if you bought it within the last few years, check) and buy some DVD+R DLs. Then get burning with powerISO, or nero (ugh), or whatever. You may need DVD decrypter if the game has certain types of copy protection on it, I don't know - but it's illegal to circumvent copy protection measures anyway, so I don't (read: can't) advise you to do so.

4. dinjo_jo

Creating a copy of the original game which i'm owing is legal, don't tell me to use winrar.

5. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

Nobody told you to use winrar as far as I see. Boiled Eggplant told you what you need to know. You'll need a dual layer DVD burner and dual layer DVDs (which aren't cheap unfortunately). A google search should help you out with finding software that can help you, but again, don't circumvent any copy protection as it doesn't matter whether or not you own the game (or have paid a license fee to have the privilege of using it as the case may be, since you never really purchase the software itself just the rights to use it) because doing so IS illegal no matter what.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

lol wut

I love it when you give a comprehensive, helpful reply and people ignore 90% of it and misread the other 10% :D

Grab powerISO for starters, it's free and will both rip and burn without bloating itself all over your processor like nero. Then grab the hardware if you can.
    Personally I'd just buy a large secondary HDD and store ISOs of all your games, rather than burning them back to physical copies. You can mount them (again, with powerISO...did I mention it does everything?) and install as if they were hard copies.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Use Winrar.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Lol yeah defo winrar

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I use ImgBurn.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Use winrar.

:p

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I think in this case, you could put all the files into a folder, and then use winrar.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yep, I think you should use Winrar.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

winrar is the answer, it's what all the scene kiddies use. :)

14. dinjo_jo

Googled it and found that u should use software named UHARC with command line options.
    I'll post some code if you want

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

UHARC is just an archiver, the same as winrar, 7zip, etc. All it will do is make an archive of files on your computer it will not rip a game from the disc or bypass protections.

16. dinjo_jo

But it compresses the game to very small size.
    Got HL 2 compressed to 480 MB

17. dinjo_jo

These are the steps.
    1. If u wanna delete the intro and in game movies, just delete them from the game folder(where it is installed)
    2. Download UHARC GUI from here - http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/U ... -3283.html
    3. Now, run UHARC and compress the game folder with settings (best o'course) you want.
    4. Now, starts the main part, open notepad.
    5. Write this:

@echo off
    cls
    UHARC.exe x -o+ -vm+ -y+ files.uha
    cls
    del files.uha
    echo DONE...
    pause
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo
    echo.
    echo.

pause

Save this as install.bat

del name.uha - - In place of name, write the name of the compressed folder u made.
    6. Put install.bat and your game.uha in a folder, compress (fastest) using WinRAR and it's complete.

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Just buy a big HDD or two, put it on there (and the rest of your games collection as well) then there are ways so the disc is not required (every major search engine will reveal the apps for the second part).

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Why are you making back-ups of Half-Life 2 considering it's already on your Steam account and accessible anywhere with a net connection (and cannot really be installed without it, easily). You could back HL2 up to a damn USB key if you needed.

20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I back up all my steam files to my computer, so that if i need to reformat, i also dont need to download all the 100gbs of data again, and the amount of times i reformat, i'd rather not wait to long to be able to play left 4 dead again.