1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Games that have disappointed us today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 May 2006.

1. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

I wasn't aware it was a mod.

oh wait, it isn't.

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Widescreen allows a more natural field of view (FOV) in games - the positioning of human eyes allows up a larger horizontal viewing angle than a vertical one (including peripheral vision, humans can see something between 160-180 degrees horizontal) - therefore a wider screen is more natural.

A larger 4:3 screen does not provide the same 'advantage', as the FOV is the same. Take Quake 3, for example... the default FOV is 90 degrees on a 4:3 monitor. To make this FOV correct on a wider screen (say 16:10 or 16:9) the FOV has to be increased to ~105 degrees.

And BF2 is not stretched at widescreen resolutions - the top and bottom are cropped, so you see less vertically, without having the horizontal view expanded.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

They've been saying that about real wars for the last hundred years. The machine gun was going to make infantry obsolete. Then the tank was going to make infantry obsolete. Then it was the atomic bomb, then the helicopter.

The bottom line is that the infantry will probably always be the basic unit of an y army and so the game reflects this.

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i thought i was about the only person walking this planet that had any issues with this bf2142, i think its going to be a huge pile of dung if im honest, the titan mode looks like a half a$$ed attempt at changing the game and the only reaons to try a fleece us of yet more cash, it must have taken them atleast a half hour tea break to come up with that and i bet theyre rubbing their hands together and some of the responces the games got so far, but its what EA do best with tiny updates but in a whole new game, it could easily have been a expansion or addon. im also still stinging as its too early to replace BF2 and the concensus seems to be that as soon as 2142 is released then BF2 will just be dropped from being supported and the way that game is going theyre going to have ruined it before then

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

they still dont seemed to have fixed alot of issues with BF2

bunnyhopping is still reasonably easy

it still eats memory for breakfast

and they keep piling more crap ontop of it

6. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

Prey not innovative? Dude the thing rocks in multiplayer! :rock:
    I havent checked out the single player, it sounds a bit weak, but i am willing to try it out. The whole being able to walk on celings and then do a summersault to the floor is really cool! Check out the demo, I think you will find it interesting. There are some things you have to figure out about the weapons (alternative fireing mode and spirt mode), but once you get the hang of it, it can be a really intense game.

As for the BF. I am a HUGE fan of BF, but i think this is a step in the wrong direction for the series. I mean comeon they just released BF2 last year! How are you going to build a community with a game if you split them by releasing another game so soon. Kinda distroys the ranking system and the addon pack they JUST released. Dont get me wrong, i got to check it out at E3 and i thought it was pretty fun. There will be ALOT more customized options for your player as you rank and the Titan mode was actually very cool. I just think its bad for the community as a whole.

OH BTW.. EA said there are two development teams: one for BF:2 and one for BF:2142. Supposedly both games are to be continued to be supported.

7. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

Having actually played Prey at this point, I can say you couldn't more wrong.

Firstly, Prey looks great. Secondly, the level desgin is actually really cool and ties in with my next point. No gamepaly innovations? Are you kidding me? Walking on every damn surface you come across in multiplayer adds a whole new perspective. Spirt mode? I could kill someone without them ever seeing my body! And believe me, some interesting strategies developed in just the first night. And the weapons... some of them don't get any cooler than that. The Sun Beam (dubbed Lockman's Happy Beam in my circle of gamers) shakes the whole level when fired. Kinda a "boy, you run into that guy and well, your f*cked" type warning. And this nothing quite like disolving your friend into a puddle of green goo either. I've played all manner of Quake, UT, BFx, and so on and haven't had this much fun in a damn long time. It has its flaws but I'd bet money this becomes one hell of a popular online game.

Tags: Add Tags