1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games that should be remastered

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Jan 2007.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

A fairly good article, but I, too, am surprised by some of the omissions.

4 pages and nobody has mentioned any of the King's Quest series. Frankly, that surprises me. Those games had such immersive puzzles and storylines. Plus, each one was significantly different than the previous, but every bit as good.

Such an important series in the history of adventure games, and not even a mention?

-monkey

2. planki

planki ...

sim city! i remember when it used to come on a single floppy disk!

3. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Member

Elite.
    Total Annihilation.
    Syndicate.
    Toobin.... j/k

4. daftie

daftie New Member

Starsiege: Tribes

Has everyone forgotten how GREAT this game is??

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

IMO, the kings quest and quest for glory games are still eminently playable and don't need remaking.

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well, good to see one of the best PPG's in the list. But I think you guys missed one VERY important: Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. It was the very first FPS/RPG ever released. It came about 4~5 months BEFORE castle wolfenstein 3d (the precursor of DOOM)!

Still on the RPG part, I think they left one aside wich, im my opinion, is the best storyline ever for an RPG: Planescape Torment. You convice your girlfriend to kill herself to help you in the afterlife... Very wicked.
    But I agree with the list as a whole.

A good news is that Bethesda is making FALLOUT 3. Let's pray with all of our faith that they doesn't release it to look like "The elder scrolls: oblivion" (wich by the way is heavily influenced by Ultima Underworld).

FO 3 needs to be isometric or like Neverwinter Nights.

7. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

Descent look-a-like in the makings

There is a Descent-like game with modern graphics in the making, and the name is 'Core Decision'. Find their website here.

There's not much there as of the time I am writing this, but that is because they switched to a new web site. I guess it will be updated soon. A couple of trustworthy people (from www.descentbb.net) have had tours through the game, some levels and the editor and have said the game is in a very advanced state of development, looks absolutely stunning, and also that the tools (i.e. game/level editor) are absolutely amazing and easy to use.

The makers of the game or going for a look and feel (game balance) similar to Descent 1/2, not Descent 3, which is a very good thing (tm). :)

8. sl1xx

sl1xx New Member

avp2,ut99,worms,delta force bhd ! imo

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Definitely agree with Deus Ex, the game is legendary and suffered a premature death due to the poor (read appallingly atrocious) sequel. I would also like to see MechCommander, Mech Warrior, Albion, X-COM Interceptor and FreeSpace 2 revamped.

On a different note, I would love it if developers released the source code and other resources for abandoned franchises/games (possible under the GPL?).

-ed

10. Motivator

Motivator Arma Virumque Cano

I would like to see Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri remastered. Was a great strategy game.

11. Epoch

Epoch New Member

I fail to see the Crusader series mentioned anywhere in the list or this thread.

Doesn't anybody remember Crusader: No Remorse, and Crusader: No Regret. Those two games were extremely good.

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Seconded for all of those ( :duh: how could I have forgotten Wing Commander?)

13. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Member

Postal?

Nah....just kidding.

14. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing New Member

The Star Control series. More to the point, Star Control 2. I played it on someone's 3DO about a bajillion years ago, and just recently I found the port "The Ur-Quan Masters." My god, what a fun game. I know you may think it was boring, but it was such fun tedium, and the replay value was fairly infinite. Yes, there were major plot points, but a lot of it was not necessarily needed to complete the game. 1 was weird, not sure I liked it, and 3 was just fugly. I think if you took the plot, universe style, and basic game mechanics, and dropped it into an Eve style engine, you'd have one hell of a game. Remember the Melnorme? Or the Yehat? The Slylandro probes? Imagine hyperspace in 3D, being able to modify how your ship looked in 3D. It had great physics, both in real-space and in battle. There was momentum, gravity swings around planets, missile gravity, such cool stuff. If they stuck that into a 3D engine, I'd cry with joy. I can't imagine what it would look like, save amazing.

15. Bladestorm

Bladestorm New Member

"I was just saying to <..> I had itchy pods today.. and here you are!"

Yes I've only played The Ur-Quan masters because I was lead to believe it was the best of the series, and yes it rocks :).

And also warzone 2100! yeah ace game :) painfull to try and play as it is now, but back in the day that was the daddy :).

16. F0U12TH

F0U12TH New Member

17. kergareth

kergareth New Member

Uh... C&C???

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I thought that was the point of the article. Games that are still very playable or have iconic status), but could use a makeover.

The King's Quest series is pretty old, and the graphics are very dated.

-monkey

19. Emon

Emon New Member

I think C&C was left off the list because of C&C 3.

20. BBurger

BBurger New Member

I've thought for years that X-Com/UFO deserved a real update - and did NOT deserve the rest of the franchise, which mostly sucked mightly.

I'd like to go even further back for my 'game that really needs a graphical buff', though: Seven Cities of Gold, a Commodore 64 game of exploration & looting natives for gold. Minimal colonization/settlement crap, it was a game of pure exploration, mapping & such - I played it for hours and days in grade school!

Tags: Add Tags