1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games that should be remastered

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Jan 2007.

1. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Are we limiting ourselves to PC games only?

Because if not, Flashback for Sega Genesis is another game I'd certainly love to have remade.

Btw, I second Phantasmagoria. Scared the bajeezus out of me as a teenager. And it had boobs which is always a plus. And a great "hints" system that made it absurdly easy if you wanted, but avoided leaving the player stuck for a long time (in a time where gamefaqs.com didn't exist, that was pretty cool).

2. Narvi

Narvi What's a Dremel?

It's not like C&C needs an update, anyway. The sequels were actually better than the original.

Besides C&C didn't exactly have the best gameplay. I have the First Decade (where it's optimized for XP) and I really don't think it's that good anymore. Little conveniences put in the sequels have made it unpalatable.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So which is it, very playable or dated?

I played syndicate yesterday for the first time in around 12 years and I must say, I enjoyed it just as much now as I did then. So much emphasis is put on pretty graphics that I think people forget why they play games :rolleyes:

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There was a kind of update done to Flashback on the PS, called Fade To Black. It was more or less a sequel done in 3d.

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

No has mentioned Carmageddon yet! The original game was utterly brilliant, but it had two fairly poor sequels. The graphics were and still are awful, but you could pretty much make it like the original FMV suggested it would look :)

Carmageddon Remastered...

:rock:

6. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Theres still work being done on Crusader, they even found one of the old devs, dug out some old mulitplayer code and are working on it as we speak!

http://cyberionsystems.com/echosector/forum/index.php

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Mission Impossible, Carrier Command, Mercenary (1 and 2), Damocles.

For the surreal amongst us: Franky Goes To Hollywood (Google it. It was surprisingly good).

8. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Chucky Egg and all of the Dizzy series

9. Retrograde

Retrograde What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see Doom2 redone in the same style that the Doom 3 Classic team used.

http://cdoom.d3files.com/

While they only did episode 1, it was amazing to play. In fact, i've never even played Doom 3, just installed it to play Doom 1 over again. I believe Carmack once said that they didn't think people would want to play the exact same game only prettier, he was dead wrong and this group of fans proved it.

10. K

K 528491

Impossible Mission needs a DS port! That'd be swell.

Flashback on SNES and Megadrive is still hugely playable. I only played it a few months ago. The controls and animation are really sophisticated.

Of course, Delphine's Amiga selling precursor, Another World, has a rather nice XP remake featuring support for high resolutions.

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/

11. galimim

galimim What's a Dremel?

I would like to see Half-Life with source engine. And Doom would be nice as well. There is also Unreal that is worth of remastering. :D

12. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Carmageddon, that game was awesome due to the nature and level of violence..
    And there was a game for Amiga 500, a RPG like HOMAM where you toured a world, only thing i remember from it was the intro scene sadly, starts off by telling you why and how you have become what you are..

13. K

K 528491

You mean like Half-Life Source?

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

An FF remake always sounds tasty to me, but it also scares the hell out of me. I don't think anything scares me quite as much as someone screwing up Final Fantasy in a remake.

I wouldn't mind seeing a D2 remake (or D3!), but it would be worse for me than FFXII+Wii combined. That game ate my very existence for the best part of three years.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

No, since that didn't actually do anything other than update explosions, water, and physics. Black Mesa: Source, is a far better stab at what he wants.

Anyway, for myself I'd say you can forget them all if I could just have Deus Ex with 2007 graphics. Carrier Command was a good mention though, the game that taught 4 year old specofdust how to be the commander of an entire navy.

16. jarek91

jarek91 What's a Dremel?

And then I'd have to toss my vote in for Parasite Eve. Which is, in my opinion, the greatest game to ever grace us from Squaresoft.

17. K

K 528491

Well, it was nice of you to answer for him.

18. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

I'm glad someone said Star Control, IMO it is the BEST gane ever made, hands down, no competition... One other series I would love remastered is Wing Command 1 and 2... loves those games. And lastly, Strike Commander. I remember having to delete almost everything on my 120meg HD and try to get 630+K of conventional memory free to play this... DEVICEHIGH baby... heh.

19. yellowbomb

yellowbomb Minimodder

My (want) list:
    Amulets and Armor
    Monkey island 1-2
    Quest for glory series
    Goblins
    Space Quest series
    Diablo 2
    Blake stone
    Maniac Mansion

Simply graphics and make them run on new systems...

(I left out Doom, Heritic, Blood, Dune, Descent, and the other(s) that have already been mentioned...)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2007
  20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Both. The game itself is playable, and loads of fun, but it looks very dated.

I guess I just misunderstood the article, because I thought that was the point: putting a fresh coat of paint on an old game.

-monkey

Tags: Add Tags