1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Games to be classified as a sport?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 21 Aug 2006.

1. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

I don't understand.
    Why are you comparing video games to other games?
    No one is suggesting that you can have a guy playing golf ina field and a guy playing golf on his computer in the same event.
    It doesn't matter if playing golf on the computer is easier than in real life, because they would never overlap. And so when everyone is playing the same type of game (sport if you prefer) the playing field is level.

I'm not sure why anyone would want video games defined as a sport. I'm not too sure how much would really change. It could affect youngsters and encourage them to be a professional sportsperson, but they can still aim at getting into a really good clan and go pro now. Whats the difference? I imagine that pro-gamers are encouraged to do some exercise as doing so should improve your gaming ability (as it improves your whole life). So I'll be happy either way really :)

I also don't understand the idea of not being able to play games in real life. Are you saying that you need to bring about some change in the real world? Or, at least, that your actions need to have some effect on the real world? Would gaming be a sport if I made a rig that fire a shotgun each time i clicked? I could then use my gaming skills to shoot targets (like skeet). Alternatively, would virtual reality not count? If I were very active in "real life" and those actions were projected to "virtual life" would I no longer be doing anything? Would my game of (football, tennis, whatever) be invalid? No longer a sport?

At the end of the day only one thing needs to change, and thats the definition of sport. Someone mentioned this earlier. Even with that everyone can keep their own opinions. Personally I don't consider darts a sport. But that doesn't mean it isn't...

Anyway, doubt people will ever agree :D

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Well you wouldn't watch an adult movie and then boast to your mates that you 'got it' the night before would you? Why not? Because it is virtual, just like electronic gaming.

Computer gaming is virtual. All sport is in real life. I see this movement as giving food to those that seek to critisize gaming for blurring the lines between real and electronic life. Don't give them the material they are looking for.

3. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

You wouldn't win your highschool basketball game and claim you just won the olympics would you? Your analogy fails because you seem to believe video games is a substitution for other sports. Competitive VIdeo Games are a sport in their own right.

Every sport/game has their own set of tools. You wouldn't bring a bat to a hockey game and you wouldn't bring a hockey puck to a soccer game. Video Games have their own set of tools such as the keyboard, mouse, or monitor and that is the "REAL LIFE" aspect of the game. And there are other sports that require much less "REAL LIFE" physical aspects of the game. Marbles and Archcery anyone??

Also, just because the playing field is "pre-rendered" makes it no different from a golf course being "pre-cut" every morning or an ice ring being "pre-cleaned" before a skating contest.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2006
Tags: Add Tags