1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Games which moved the industry forward

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bagman, 7 Feb 2016.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'd say there are a few games that fundamentally altered my appreciation for games as a medium while also moving the industry forward.

System Shock 2 - one of the best examples of a more complex FPS RPG Hybrid, with an awesome story and was co-op to boot.

Deus Ex - multiple ending, a whole host of choices that impacted the game and it's response to your actions in the world, all wrapped up in a great story, a game that went on to show that it was possible to tell a complex story where choice mattered and again, with an FPS RPG Hybrid style.

Homeworld - this game revolutionized RTS story telling, pushed the envelope in the graphics department, had awesome audio quality and managed to make a 3D plane and controls work perfectly.

Freelancer/Starlancer
    - both of these games had full co-op campaigns, worked really well over dial up connections and looked great for their time but what made them really impressive was the sheer scale, capital ships so long, it could take minutes for full speed travel to go stem to stern!

Ground Control - this game showed us it was possible to have an RTS that didn't need base building and resource harvesting as a core mechanic. It was IMO, the birth place of the Real Time Tactic spin off for the RTS. Leading on to titles like World in Conflict and Relics Company of Heroes.

I have played plenty of great games over the years, many which have refined the genres they represent but few that have really move it forward! But there is humble list of some of the big movers and shakers as far as I have experienced :D

Last edited: 9 Feb 2016
  2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Laser Squad was great, but it was just an iteration of Julian Gollop's earlier game Rebelstar Raiders on the Spectrum back in 1984.

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Never heard of it but then I didn't have a Spectrum. Laser Squad, however, was a multi platform release and many people I knew played it despite us having different systems and went on to play more turn based games as a result. I'd say that probably had more of a result than it's prior incarnation, no?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Last edited: 10 Feb 2016
  5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

1: Mayhem in Monsterland - Literally the best game ever released for the C64 at it's twilight.
    2: Unreal Tournament - Gamechanger when it came to FPS' skill ceiling.
    3: Medal of Honour: Allied Assault - That Beachhead landing...
    4: Final Fantasy VII - No explanation necessary
    5: Daytona USA - Ushered in the decline of arcades by allowing a console port to perfectly emulate the cabinet version.
    6: World of Warcraft - Say what you want, this game ushered in a million clones, and introduced a new generation to PC gaming.

6. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

WoW certainly helped put MMOs mainstream (mostly thanks to the fact Blizzard had a huge fanbase) but I wouldn't say it pushed the industry forward as EQ1 started the ball rolling on the MMO front. (of course I am biased as if anything I would say WoW crippled the MMO space and is responsible for the modern day rubbish we now have)