1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games With An Urban Exploration Feel?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 5 Sep 2011.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

So after seeing this frankly amazing photo gallery, I realised that, of the games that opt for urban environments, it's actually pretty rare for them to have huge internal architecture. You're usually either outdoors (which isn't really very urban or very impressive, since most of us spend our time outdoors surrounded by buildings anyway) or indoors in tiny, cramped offices, corridors and hallways. Towers, factories, industrial storage and sewers are all rendered at the corridor scale, presumably due to hardware limitations.

In real life, though, factories, sewers, industrial buildings and sewers are usually mind-bogglingly massive, which is why urban exploration is so much fun. If they were all the size of kitchens but coloured brown and grey, people wouldn't bother.

So here's the thing: what games have big structures that replicate the interest of urban exploration? All I've got so far is Mirror's Edge, for its storm drain level that's remarkably similar to the gallery I linked above:

[​IMG]

Fallout 3 was kinda UE-ish too, it's one of the things I love most about it. But it was also very small and mostly you were just creeping through houses and office blocks. Can anyone think of any others?

edit - ah, and Dead Space, for its huge decompressed chambers with industrial hazards and zero gravity.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2011
  2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Some parts Stalker maybe.. Oh and Half Life 2 of course.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Would Metro 2033 count for it's tunnels?

Last edited: 5 Sep 2011
  4. pingu666

pingu666 New Member

assassins creed, prototype, gta ?

5. boiled_elephant

GTA IV has a good dose of it, now I think back. It was strictly optional, but there was TONS of exploration if you were so inclined.

Gears of War had some pretty cool architecture, too, but it was all a bit small and boxy. They could've done a lot more with that game. I guess they were still grappling with making it run well on the 360, as a launch title.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2011
  6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Stalker did a nice job. Although it's a bit limited in a sense, although exploring pripyat was always something that was chilling. It is a bit boxy though.

I'm actually pretty stumped at this question.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'm really struggling at the moment. What about Dirt2/3 for Battersea power station or Mass Effect for some of the ruins?

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Assassins creed 2 and brother hood both featured some very large indoor sections where you explored cathedrals or temple. Apart from that I can't really think of anything.

btw B_e that storm drain was featured on Andrew Marr's Megacities.

9. Metaporic

Metaporic Member

The orginal Duex Ex and parts of Duex Ex: Invisible Warfare (dont hit me!). Not played Dues Ex; Human Revolution yet (its just sitting next to me, waiting for my new computer) but id imagine it has a Urban feel to it.

Have you ever played the Rainbow six games? Though the focus is on the objective and not the exploration every single one of them offer some very impressive Urban environments. Same goes for the Splinter Cell games, but again there is more of a focus on the objective than the exploration.

The Longest Journey, and the Longest Journey: Dreamfall, although outdated in terms of graphics do offer some fantastic environments.

As others have said the GTA series can offer a city feel, though there are not that many buildings to explore. The Assasins Creed series offer citys to explore as well.

If you like post-apocalyptic games, try out Hellgate London. Though time spent inside buildings as opposed to outside of them is low, there are some nice areas to check out. Such as Museums, Sewers and Subways.

You could also check out Batman:Arkham Asylum. You are free to (and encouraged) explore the island and explore the environments. Though its not a city there is some interesting environments and if you get into Arkham Asylum when Arkham City is released later this year itl make it that much better for you.

Hope something there hits the spot. If I remember anymore il add them haha.

10. boiled_elephant

Ooh, thank you, have rep.

Dreamfall was good, actually. I think I'll revisit that game, I never finished it - the story got to be too much of a mind**** and I gave up, but it was interesting.

I totally missed Hellgate at the time because I thought it was online-only. May have to see what it's like.

I thought of one more - Unreal II. Not the best game in the world, but the environments were amazing. There was an H.R. Giger rip-off level towards the end that had huge alien architecture. That was pretty cool (testament: I haven't played it in six years and I still remember that level.)

11. dave_salmon

dave_salmon New Member

However much I have tried, I cannot bring myself to like Hellgate, despite how hard I was wishing that it would be immense on release.

It feels and plays like a Beta and is about as exciting as an empty brown paper bag...

I'd go with Stalker.

12. Metaporic

Metaporic Member

Hellgate is one of those games that could have been great, but was let down by poor choices on the developers and publishers side. I mean come on, a game set in London after a total apocalypse, lets randomly generate the environments! At least the major monuments half resemble there counterparts in reality.

However if you can get past its flaws there is some enjoyment to be had, massing loot and visiting the different areas. Its better as a dungeon crawler than a action rpg. There is also a community project that makes some useful changes.

Oh and @ boiled elephant. With a name like Dreamfall would you expect anything short of a mind screw?

Btw if you own a copy of Oblivion and want to see some impressive citys (though not modern) and a stunning handcrafted map, then get Nehrim. It feels more like a Gothic game than a ES game and seriously it is one of the most beautiful worlds I have ever seen in a game, almost every new area I will take a screenshot. The capital city actually feels like a genuine medieval city, it has a massive sewer system, a zoo, a lake, cathedral, castle, garbage heap (i think), barracks etc...

If you have a PS3, the Yukuza series all take place in a very realistic but fictional Japanese city. Have not played them myself but have heard there quite good.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
  13. earlydoors

earlydoors Member

+1 for Deus Ex HR, the urban hubs of Detroit and Shanghai have a lot going for them - they're not perfect, but they do create a reasonably good environment to play in what is, frankly, a great game. Thoroughly deserving of its 90% reviews, imo.