1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm tempted to chuck up one of my short stories for my chapter if I'm honest.

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Forgeworld resin was indeed nasty, well some of it was. It depends on where they get it from. I am not sure how things are but while I was there, none of it was made by GW, all the figures were bought in from other companies who were set up to make things like miniature house models, figurines and so on.

The Forgeworld warehouse (small cupboard with a few shelves and a table) was a nasty nasty place to work in, especially when we had a new delivery in, the dust and smell was horrible and we couldn't have the door open much as it was a ground floor room where the public walked past to get to the store. Hopefully things have changed now but not having bought any FW stuff for years I have no idea about the quality of the resin used.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

So they finally updated the news page on the GW site with sime "amazing photos" of 4 Finecast figures.

Now, this isn't the most in-depth comparison, but look at the painted version of the "finecast" Autarch with the one from the catalogue (Finecast is not stated anywhere)... I can make out no discernable difference...

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Will be interesting to see at the end of this month when their financial year ends to see what the figures are. Sales did take a dip, though growth has increased. The cost cutting and debt free is good to see, will be interesting to see how GW strategy does for them in 2010/1011 once the results are published.

Thats beacuse the Autarch pic is the old one, im assuming that its the same as the finecast poster with all the models, where the pics are the old ones.

5. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

underwhelming news release to say the least, very uninformative. We'll have to wait until people can get their hands on them and get their opinions.

I think this month's sales figures will be extremely high, due to

- long awaited release of tomb kings
    - price rise announcement always makes people rush buy to 'stock' up (including myself lol)
    - price rise comes into force just before end of month
    - and of course the more expensive finecast range comes out, and as with anything new, people will buy. And i'm pretty sure all the fuss this finecast range has cause, even heavy complainers will buy a model to see for themselves (not including me in this one at moment)

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Vast departure from my so far Xenos free armies;

[​IMG]

My WIP of my "test" model.

The box looked cool, the Talos is badass, and I have had enough of painting marines (After.. Seventy+ with no real breaks from them) for a little while.

Also, their lore is kinda cool so far.

And just because I'm not a Xenos lover;

Pete J likes this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ha! Lovely!

You certainly take the hobby seriously!

Out of curiosity, how have you secured the gun? Do you have a bearing in there or is the shaft stable enough spinning without one?

8. liratheal

At the moment, it's not secured at all. I'm going to look at the best way to secure it, I'm thinking another plate similar to the one at the front (The white strip), but put something on the inside of it to prevent it moving forwards.

I'm not sure "seriously" is the right word :p

My local GW manager asked if it could be done, so it's more of a prototype so I can show him what he needs to do to his.

9. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

This is from GW on their facebook page as a response to people asking about the safety of the GW resin

Also, chaps, we've spotted the odd comment about the safety of the resin. As with all our products, this has been vigorously checked. There are currently many formulations of resin used across the world. The resin material we are using for Citadel Finecast models has undergone testing by a leading international toy safety testing agency. They identified no risks to health and recommend no special precautions.

Looks like they have done there work with getting the material right, though would be good to see the safety report from the agency.

GW should see good sales, though there release program has been brought up alot with the early release of grey knights, though should go back to normal now.

Next 40k army looks to be Necrons as only the nightbringer has been done in resin, in the inital 100 models that will be on sale on saturday. Tau should follow as there book needs to be updated to bring it into line with the 40k main rule book.

Fantasy could be Bretonian's, though Ogre Kingdoms and Wood Elves both need doing, so will be interesting to see what happens in Fantasy.

10. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I think it may be ogre kingdoms as they've apparently stopped restocking the battalion in stores, either that or it's not getting enough sales to be worth it

11. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Its a hard one to call, as all 3 need doing just which.

12. liratheal

After last weeks ridiculous single round of combat leading to my Emperors Champion slaying a Carnifex outright, I decided to re-do him to honour his hilarious victory:

[​IMG]

I realise this does not convey much fun yet, but it's coming :p

Edit:

[​IMG]

No, the pose is not final, the body isn't glued to the legs, and the legs to the carnifex face >.>

Edit2:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 May 2011
  13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

14. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

First review of sorts on the new resin by non GW person out:

http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2011/05/citadel-finecast.html

made me lol as it's exactly as people predicted it would probably be on miniature forums. tut tut. Also they used the same moulds as they did for the metal

In other news I have made use of vouchers issued by online independant retailers to boost sales before their hit by the new GW terms & conditions. Bought myself Lizardmen temple guard box as well as spray paint (army painter), several new paints (both citadel and vallejo), GF9 hobby glue, and 2 rosemary & co sable brushes.
    And magnifying glass with stand from ebay lol

Last edited: 25 May 2011
  15. liratheal

Damn, that is one massive mess.

16. liratheal

[​IMG]

Splash of paint, so I can use it tomorrow.

Still loads to do, though.

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

1 - If i even received a metal miniature with that amount of flash i'd be taking it back. There are limits.

2 - FFS Lirath stop painting, do you have any idea how long it'll take me to catch up!!! :p (seriosuly though, great work.)

18. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Interesting to see why that person has a resin model already considering the amount of NDA's GW has done within its own company, someone could be meeting their legal team.
    Its already been confirmed that they are using the same molds as the metal- molds were recast from the master copies, to re-scuplt all the metal models would cost alot and take alot of time.
    The GW resin is fine, why you would need to work in a ventilated area- has already been passed by a independent company as being safe, the amount of flash we wont know till saturday for sure if theres going to be that much, even so its a soft resin will be easy to clean off.

The reviewers claim if you drop a resin model it will snap or shatter is bs, my local GW manger has dropped Ghazghkull Thraka model on purpose and it didnt break- has even stood on the new paint station in store in front of me and others and took his weight. The resin models only take a minitue or 2 too put together as the resin absorbs the super glue so only a tiny bit is needed and holds it well, its a overall improvment on the metal models which continually break unless there pinned.
    Will also proably find that most of the metal models that always fell over will now proably stand up fine as their lighter- if people dont like the prices then dont do the hobby.

Last edited: 26 May 2011
  19. liratheal

I've still got 20 Dark Eldar to do, a drop pod to finish, and a dreadnought (Which you can see in the background more often than not), an Imperial Guard Mech army, not to mention another 30~ Grey Knights!

If I stop now I'll never finish :(

I do need to get my Black Templar army up by a fair amount of points too, GW manager and I were discussing the possibility of us two doing a 10k (5k each) Black Templar apoc. game vs anyone who wanted in >.>

20. liratheal

I saw some of the finecast stuff today, there is some flash, but for the most part none were as bad as the Draigo (Although I saw no Draigo) one in that blog a few posts ago. GW manager had put together a couple, and they really were considerably better than their metal counterparts.

I'll just leave this here...