1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

that is effing awesome!

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Thanks dude.

Just added a bit of shredded latex glove to the chain flails:

[​IMG]

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

4. liratheal

I like the individual models, but the "scheme" seems to be a bit.. All over the place. I mean, robes change colour for no discernible reason, yet the difference between certain Dire Avenger models is so slight that it could easily be missed and so on.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Started stripping some of my models that have too much paint on from all the previous owners.

Found that Dettol works. So got mum to buy some today, put it in a pot at about a 1:4 ratio with water.
    Left for about 2 hours ish.

And the paints coming off. Not brilliant, as the hard to get areas are....well....hard to get, so there's still paint there. And my toothbrushes weren't stiff enough really.

Hoping that an overnight soak will make the paint come off easier.

Only annoying part is it leaves a horrible sticky, gloopy residue on them, but apparently some hot water with a bit of soap in gets rid of that. Running it under cold water and rubbing it got rid of most of it.

Going to be making some raptors for my chaos army too. But instead of buying raptors, which are metal models and always go for more than I'd like to pay on ebay. I'm just going to get some normal chaos marines for cheap, and then some space marine jump packs. Budget raptors, :D

6. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Yeah, just need to decide on something only have 6 weeks till the tournament.

7. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I found that oven cleaner works really well, like the foaming one, works on my old tau plastics ages ago

8. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Fairy power spray- will take the paint of the models. Leave them in a tub for 12/24 hours.

Just wondering on peoples paint setup's ie just paint in the day time or do u have a daylight bulb lamp.magnifcying glass etc.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2011
  9. liratheal

Another vote for Fairy Power spray - Although I didn't need 12/24 hours.

On the Legion of The Damned I did three runs, leaving them in the power spray for about 30 minutes each run, then going over them with a tooth brush and hot water - Everything came off. The plastic power fist that was on the one didn't have any horrible side effects after one run and came back clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ten at the front of the first picture are, roughly, at the same stage as the single one in the second.

That's almost all dry brushing - Chaos black primer, lich purple, warlock purple, warlock purple/space wolves grey (50/50), space wolves grey (Very light), then a 50/50 badab black/leviathan purple wash. Ice blue on the eyes, then a drybrush of ice blue around the eye sockets. Wash of asurmen blue over the eye, then a drybrush of space wolves grey.

My painting setup is pretty basic, I paint with either daylight or a bog standard ceiling light - Sometimes a desk lamp during the darker evenings. I do have a set of those "helping hands" things, but primarily for holding things that I'm too fat fingered to.

10. liratheal

Stormlord has finally started to take paint:

[​IMG]

Also done a fair bit of work on what is going to become Kabalite Trueborn:

[​IMG]

It's a larger picture because I wanted the tattoo's on the one in the foregrounds face to be visible. Still, aside from the tattoo's and washes, a drybrushed job.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I happened to walk by the local GW store today and saw a painted Baneblade in the window (the first time I've seen one in real life). Feck me those things are big! The shelf above had a couple of SM dreadnoughts (I'd forgotten how small they actually are) and the Baneblade looked as though it could flatten one!

12. liratheal

It could ;p

Main weapon is a 10" blast, got a hull mounted cannon that'll do a 7" blast, and two las cannons - Not to mention three twin linked heavy bolters just in case.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I remember when the first prototype parts arrived for the Baneblade, they were the track links. Pretty much everyone who saw them said something along the lines of "holy crap, how big is this thing going to be?"

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Not liking this Dettol cleaning method.

Yes it gets the paint off, eventually, apart from all the inaccessible areas which you can't scrub.
    And then as soon as it goes anyway near water, any remaining paint/dettol goes all gloopy and sticky, and you end up with it dirty again.

Struggling to see how the models will ever be clean enough to be able to repaint.

Does the Fairy power spray work better, and easier?

Might try some pure dettol next, seeing as I've got almost a full bottle still.

15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Wondering how a dettol or power spray solution in a ultrasonic cleaner. That should get into all the tight areas.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm. I'd be careful about putting polymers or resins in an ultrasonic cleaner. After all, it's used as a method of polymer welding!

17. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

anyone tried the brake fluid method with the new resin yet?

18. liratheal

Fairy Power Spray worked absolutely flawlessly on my Legion Of The Damned, I'm currently stripping my Black Templars for repainting, though (Tempted to try and do something for Armies On Parade, regional manager for GW was talking me into it today).

I'll post some pictures of my BT squad shortly.

Edit:

[​IMG]

Pretty quick, and shoddy, 20 minute job. 15 minutes under FPS, five with a toothbrush and some water, then a quick rinse under the tap.

I'm not too fussed about getting this lot perfectly clean, as they're going to be going the same colours anyway, just.. Better quality painting :p

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  19. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I cannot believe I am only now stumbling across this thread!!! As soon as I finish my Beastlord, I shall be posting pictures! I am desperately trying to not make them look like shaved cows... So I will appreciate any input. I might just post a WIP picture when its daylight tomorrow...

Joe

20. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Assuming its the one I think it is, the Space Wolf Games Day Librarian, gimme a shout and I will almost certainly take it off your hands