1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

If it was me man I'd get the generic hobby set + a box of what ever models you like the look off bit more money but you get alot more stuff

2. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Yeah that did cross my mind too but i only want to spend the minimum at the moment to see if i still have the skill... (eye's and hands might no be so good now i'm in my forties...) :sigh:

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The marines are fine to get, the night golbins not the best starter models for painting could be better ones etc.

My local store has just had the manger leave which is a shame since it was only a one man store, vet night today and no one down at all, just me and the staff member covering.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Done a bit of work on the three guardsmen this morning, as well as some on the DE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kurze

Kurze What's a Dremel?

Dig the terrain modelling, that's one of those things I've always aimed to get in to but never quite got around to it.

Will have to hunt down some pictures of my Night Lords or Wood Elves at some point.

6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

[​IMG]

Not the best pic but I like how the mini turned out :) getting back into painting will take abit more practice but not bad for being back in the hobby for two months

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Very nice indeed Gilljoy! :thumb:

Lith, great work so far. Looking forward to seeing how the flamer finishes out.

8. liratheal

That is very nice, Gilljoy. The only thing I'd do is drill the barrels on the storm bolter - Even without that, though, it's a lovely miniature!

I was so excited to paint the flamer, I didn't wait for the glue holding the cotton wool to the wire to dry - However.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm quite happy with it!

9. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Cheers guys,

Lith I really hate your tallent lol and yea I'm gona drill the barell but I've not got a small enough drill bit for my hobby drill atm, need to pick one up.

Edit: Grey knights Librarian Conversion ( free mini so may as well give it ago)

[​IMG]

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Excellent work Gill and lith.

Just won some flayed ones off ebay for my necrons. Probably going to give them a rest till they get their update.

Been concentrating on my chaos forces, which has expanded to 1.3k ish points now.

11. liratheal

Thanks chaps :p

Looks good, Gill, really suits the model!

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

I have never played any tabletop game or read one of the books, but I've always been fascinated by the Warhammer universe. One day I'll manage to find the time to go to a Games Workshop and indulge myself.

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Oh wow, that flame just glows. Nicely done.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks great, well done. Only thing I would change is drilling out the barrels of the storm bolter.

15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ok, quick question for the the assembled masses.

I have a marine army, pretty plain, nothing special, which I painted up VERY quickly to get them into a playable state with the intention of going back later and making them pretty. 8 years later they still ain't that pretty...

Below is a picture of the general scheme, as you can see it is very simple (add in black body bolters and stuff) with the only sort of details being the star field dots on the shoulders (very quick and look OK).

[​IMG]

This is pretty much the standard for the tactical marines, the assault guys have dark blue helmets and yellow/black warning stripes around the jump pack intakes and my terminator armoured captain has a red loincloth.

My question is, what do you think should be added to give them a little more 'something'? I was thinking of picking out the chest eagles maybe in gold and possibly changing the colour of the bolter bodies, red would stand out but I am not sold on that yet.

/*edit*/ Oh and by the way, the shoulder edging is midnight blue not purple like it looks there

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Convert the living **** out of them :)

besides that, look at using some dark angels veteran parts to make your vets have robes and stuff?

Also look at doing Object source lighting for the glow from power weapons / around eyes. Personally I think theres too much black going on ( can look like you just based the army with black spray) try changing the colour of the parts between armour plates, black armour and light grey connecting parts?

What about painting the Aquilla on the chest midnight blue? Or changing the colour of the bolters etc. A nice contrasting colour like red would look nice, you dont wana have too much black :)

Edit: Squad markings / rank markings on one of the knee pads?

17. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Nice thread, I haven't been reading enough of the important stuff here for a while!

Does anyone have any ideas regarding removing acrylic paint from an old metal model? I have an original chaos dreadnought that I mucked up when I was about 12 and I'd rather like to correct it. The same goes for the Harlequin jetbike, modded war walker (Harlequin Warlock piloting) and Phantom titan.

A quick ferret around in the wardrobe has produced the boxed sets of Space Marine (versions 1 & 2), Blood Bowl, Dark Future (with Whiteline Fever), Adeptus Titanicus, Advanced Space Crusade and numerous sprues of plastics - including some "Wombles in Flares" Corvus armoured marines as well as some half completed Ork/Genstealer hybrids. I also still have about 15 untouched Eldar Guardians, metal bodies and plastic arms. Now all I need to do is replace all my paints as they're a touch less liquid than they used to be...

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I managed to clean a hideously over-painted Ghazghkull Thraka by letting the parts soak in brake fluid for a few hours at a time. Had to use a needle to get the straggling bits out of recesses, but otherwise, it just peeled away and perfectly clean after a scrubbing under hot water with a nail brush.
    Works a treat.

19. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Sweet, ta very muchly! As I said, it's one of the original chaos dreads with the skull face, power claw and heavy plasma and I've always felt a little ashamed of the fact that I muffed it up so badly :blush: I'll give that a go during the week.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

No worries.

I still have my very first mini that I painted. An Eldar Warp Spider. Didn't have the proper paints at the time, so I was using AeroFix and a shoddy brush, had to do the fine detail stuff with toothpicks :D

The brake fluid takes its time. What is worth suggesting is to leave the parts in a small glass jar with some of the fluid, take them out after a while and remove the larger chunks of good that come off and then put the parts back into the fluid. Once it's almost ready, just give it a good scrub with the nail brush.

I remember that dread, so there will be alot of recesses and pits, so you might need a needle to get the last little bits out.

Grimloon likes this.