1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Games you like the idea of liking but can't be bothered...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 12 May 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Pleased to report that I've had no trouble getting into Dishonored. I bought it cheap a few months ago and have played far into it. Probably nearing the end. I've bought the dunwall trials too.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Straight-up question, since I'm happy to see that I wasn't the only one to struggle with it: does The Witcher's gameplay get more sophisticated and/or interactive later on? I was completely turned off it by the opening chapter in the castle, the gameplay mechanics seemed incredibly basic, but I did notice that there was a lot of stuff I hadn't unlocked/started using yet.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So many, to be honest:
    Stalker - I know people say it gets better, but if a game needs me to wade through 4 hours of rubbish before they become good, they failed, IMHO.

the DiRT series
    The Witcher
    Anything Elder Scrolls after Oblivion (sans expansions)
    Anything GTA since 2
    KOTOR - NOT KOTOR2, which I adored, but the first one...

4. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

In short, yes. Once all of Geralt's abilities are unlocked the gameplay does become more dynamic. I do agree though that it is not a strong opening, but I felt that way about the original as well and it was worth sticking with.

The storyline is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, quite adult themes but generally handled with maturity and dry humour.

5. workingclass

workingclass New Member

The opening in the Witcher is its weakest, once you move to chapter 2 and especially once you get into Vizima the game is one of my all time favorites. I did the same as so many and abandoned the game at first because of the poor way it started... once I forced myself past that I loved it so so much. Have finished it 3 times now, will probably finish it once again before Witcher 3, only finished 2 once, don't like it as much as the first one, but I plan on doing that again as well.

6. David

David RIP Tel

Arkham City - I enjoy it to an extent then just get bored to tears, same story with Ass Creed and other open world (ish) games.

I think it's more a case of thinking "ooh, open world/sandbox - imagine the possibilities" then being thoroughly disappointed by the execution.

G0UDG and YEHBABY like this.
  7. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Assassins Creed 3.

That game bored me to tears and I loved the first couple of games...:(

Including The Witcher, both of them...I just can't get myself immersed into them anymore..

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i am shocked at the people stating they dont know how to play anno, the campaign is the tutorial but if they want to i can happily drag them into a server and teach them how to play it.

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

GTA IV want to play it some day but I will not play or buy it until I can buy it without sicurerom either from steam or from some other official vender.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Arkham Asylum and Dead Space come to mind. I bought both around their release dates and didn't play either one more than an hour or so. I think it's the distracting view point changes in Arkham Asylum and the over the shoulder instead of traditional first person view on Dead Space. If either game actually implemented the traditional FPS view I would likely pick them back up.

Sword of the Stars 2. Looks like a great game, but seemed a little too tedious to get into at the time I bought it. The game flat out tells you that you should read the manual from cover to cover... seriously? Give me some tutorials instead you lazy dev! Conversly, Galactic Civilization II (similar gameplay in many respects) included brief video tutorials and is a really fun game to play. Picked up the GCII Ultimate Version on a Steam Midweek Madness deal for $5. Probably the best $5 I ever have spent.

Witcher (the first one). Game kept crashing so I never got outside the first area. That was a complete waste of money.

Last edited: 15 May 2013
  11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Dishonoured. It has all the elements of a game I should love, but I can't get into it. I just don't care what is happening or why. I simply don't connect with it at all.

Metro. Just leaves me cold.

Stalker..yet another game I really looked forward to, only to find I just can't get into it. I've installed it multiple times and tried to like it. I've managed to play for several hours to get past the beginning. But does it grab me? No.

Last edited: 16 May 2013
  12. Stanley Tweedle

Witcher, Stalker and Ark Ham pop up a lot here. Since Last Light is upon us... I decided to give Metro 2033 another try. It's pretty scary but I am adjusting to it again. What's interesting is that they succeeded in making the wasteland above ground scarier than the tunnels. I felt a sense of relief when I went back underground last night.

13. Pookie

Pookie So this is permanence, love's shattered pride.

As long as it does not need Games for windows Live I will play it. Not sure why but when I try to launch a game from steam that uses GFWL it crashes. I will add that I gave up on Total war as I was simply rubbish at it.

14. digitaldunc

digitaldunc New Member

Dead space is actually fantastically polished if you can get over the case of consoleitis it has with the wonky mouse (I seem to remember I manually changed my mouse acceleration to max)

The sequels, not so much.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Dead Space's strange camera angle, camera movements and complete lack of a HUD are actually what makes the game work so well. There's an extra sense of investment and immersion that you get from not having anything on the screen that isn't concretely part of the gameworld. It takes some getting used to - some people even report discomfort or motion sickness with the camera swaying disjointedly in midair behind the player character's shoulder. But if you can stick it out, it makes for a more immersive experience than the first-person perspective, in my opinion. (I've always found first-person gameplay quite detaching, because no amount of post-processing or blood on the screen can ever come close to simulating actual first-person experience.)

edit - oh, Neverwinter Nights. Every time I play this game I get outside the initial catastrophe situation into the city proper, wander aimlessly for a while, and then quit. It doesn't do a good enough job of leading the player forwards, as much as I love the setting and gameplay.

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Metro 2033, I love the setting and the theme, looks nice too, but the gunplay just really puts me off, I stuck it on ranger elite (or whatever the "ultra hardcore super real" mode was) and enemies just seemed to be really bullet spongy, and the guns felt really weak. I may give it another go at some point on a different difficulty

17. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Tbh I think all games with a real hardcore mode should be realistic. So if you get shot in the head or heart you die, and if you are shot square through a leg or your abdomen it would also be game over because you wouldn't be able to continue. An arm would be useless for the rest of the game, and the second arm would also be game over. Bullet grazes could be controlled with bandages.

All of the above should apply to human enemies as well.

Of course various levels of body armour for the player and the enemies would assist in making the game more playable.

TL;DR I hate games where you can shoot a human in the naked face several times before they die, it's just absurd.

18. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

Witcher - very good reviews i just cant make myself enjoy the combat which is a shame as it seems my type of game.

any open world rpg (nwn, skyrim, fallout 3 etc) i just get bored to quickly even thou i love the games in just about everyway possible. im ashamed to say that i seem to need games to hold my hand a bit and feed me things to do occassional. the mass effect series is perfect in that regard.

19. Stanley Tweedle

As I previously mentioned... I'd wanted to like Metro 2033 but failed in the past. Now playing it again in 3d vision. I thought I'd picked it up again from the point where I'd reached ages ago (detonate the 2 tunnels to stop monsters getting through) but it seems I've been playing it pretty much from the start.

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

RPGs - I think they're just too slow, and I've always hated the process of having to choose how to spend 'skill points' or whateva the game wants to call them. A mate raved about Fallout 3 and showed it to me when it was quite new. It looked awesome, but I just can't be doing with a lack of fluidity in my gameplay. Same can be applied to the whole genre as far as I'm concerned - quite why I've bought the few that I have (Oblivion, Witcher, Fallout 3) I don't know.

Try telling that to this guy:

Last edited: 20 May 2013