1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GameSpot officially comments on fired editor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. quack

quack Minimodder

On the one hand, better late than never to speak up, and on the other, the damage is done: GameSpot's reputation is shot.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

like any real gamer is going to go to GameSpot of game reviews now!

if they do, just buy the games that not advertisted on there site..... logic would state that they are the bestest games.

4. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I wonder what Gerstmann is going to do next.

5. ivanrlynn

ivanrlynn Whats a Mod?

I think he was very generous with his score of k & l, thank **** i rented it so glad i didn't buy this game, he shoulda got a promotion...

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

It's their own non disclosure agreement that will stop whatever the thruth is about his leaving. they can't say if he left a giant turd on the MD's desk and he can't say he was booted for rubbishing advertisers games. Can't help but think that the removal of the video review, and lack of statement for 4 or so days helped gamespot though.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

"Mass cancelation of subscriptions" They better hope the advertising covers that loss

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I hate it when a rep or exec for some company quips, "Though he will be missed by his colleagues, Jeff's leaving does not affect GameSpot's core mission of delivering the most timely news, video content, in-depth previews, and unbiased reviews in games journalism."

... just shut the f**k up.

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

If the firing was completely unrelated to the review and their advertisers then why the hell didn't Gamespot issue this statement earlier instead of waiting for the speculation to spread and their reputation to deteriorate? I'm not usually this cynical but I just can't believe Brannan or MacDonald's statements.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i call BS......

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

gametrailers.com over GameSpots subscribtions to watch gamer trailers any time!

12. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Because the minute the news broke, everyone, including bit-tech was already of the opinion it was over the K&L review. Penny Arcade had a strip up a day (or two) later, and every blogger known to man who dabbles in video games had already taken the moral high ground of "Advertising Pressure doesn't affect my reviews". This is a no win situation for Gamespot, so wether they came out with it on day one, or 2 months later I highly doubt any of you would have believed them because they are a site that generates revenue and for the most part that is evil.

13. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

This says a lot about the other reviewers working for Gamespot. I know if I worked for a company who fired someone for that kind of reason I'd try and organize a strike or something. If his job could be lost for such a trivial reason, why couldn't it happen to the others? I would seriously question my job security.

We all knew GS would deny that it was the advertisers pressure that cost Jeff his job. There was no way they would admit to that. Not to mention that Jeff isn't allowed to disclose the reason he was fired for legal reasons. If the reason was as they say they would have let us hear it from his mouth, it would have had a far greater impact.

I'm happy to hear about the mass subscriptions. That will teach them to pull a stunt like that.

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

meh... Gamespot's review never holds a candle in my book anyway...

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I thought they edited the review and removed his video review? And he wasnt fired because of this review? Come off it!

16. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

17. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

That got censored? Well shame on me for quoting my favorite line from V for Vendetta... Anywho, I'm curious as to what this internal matter was that got him fired, correct me if I'm wrong but Gertsmann had been there for quite a number of years right? Seems odd that he got canned so quickly.

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

[​IMG]
    "Grap The Cocaine"

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It seems fairly likely to me that the guy did get fired for the bad review. But who's surprised? Gamespot have been rubbish for years.

20. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I tend to take all reviews from the Spot as a pinch a salt, now? Dont think ill even bother visiting them, plenty of other much more repectable sites to read from. It just seams a bit too hmmm, suspect?!!

Tags: Add Tags