1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Gaming in the workplace

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by liratheal, 3 Nov 2008.

1. xAx

xAx What's a Dremel?

Sounds like CEX

2. kempez

kempez modding again!

Fireman? Sounds like a mate of mine's day!

3. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Slightly off topic, what company do you work for? The way you described your IT dept, uses the same name as the one I work at here in Leatherhead...

4. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Errrm :worried:

Where are you from?

5. xAx

xAx What's a Dremel?

I used to work in their E-com and Watford branch. Dodgiest work place ive ever been in.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I played forged alliance and X3 all day yesterday. I had nothing else to do. I've been caught playing games before, they dont care.

7. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

PM'd

8. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Without a doubt

9. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

I'm an editor and a studio musician. At both jobs, it doesn't matter what you do during down time. In studios and rehearsal rooms, I tend to use DT for pre-production and practice, but I could be gaming and no one would care. In the lounge at Nile Rodgers's last studio, Skyline, he had vintage arcade machines around for precisely that purpose. (Old school Ataris, ski magazines and Italian Men's Vogues on the mauve couches -- whatever Rodgers explored on his off-time seemed to find its way into that lounge.) And at my editing job, one of my bosses introduces me to new games regularly on the DS and PSP.

Until very recently, my girlfriend was senior graphic designer at Toilette & Douche (actual name concealed to protect the corrupt). Her boss fairly insisted she play WoW. She claims it was "a blast" but has complained her boss liked to kill off unwary members of his team for fun. Have you ever seen that internet show, The Guild? The in-game conversations were supposed to be like that, but with extra helpings of Brooklyn sarcasm.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2008
  10. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

I think I'm actually rather lucky in regards to gaming at work. Most of the PC's at work are quite capable of running a bunch of newer games and we (me, boss and a few other co-workers) play games quite often when there is nothing else to do. I got my copy of Fallout 3 yesterday morning and asked the boss if I could "upgrade" my workshop PC so that I could try it, he and 2 other co-workers spent most of the day watching me play and took turns playing when I was out on a few calls. I freaking love this job...

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Wow... i used to work for T&D here in NAM, and even as a support tech, i got into **** for gaming while there was nothing to do...

12. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

I played Warcraft III mod, Defense of the Ancients (DotA) over Battle.net at the office last time, after hours. I did get caught by a night shift supervisor, but since I am working normal shift, he couldn't care less.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Reading some of these posts, makes my job sount positively active!

I thought I had one of the slowest jobs in the world (First/second line tech support), but damn, I only just get time to fit customers around reading news and Bit-tech :D

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

In one of my last jobs I used to work shifts.
    The evening shifts and especially the night shifts had long hours of nothing to do.
    So, what better way to pass the time than to play RA2 Yuri's Revenge multiplayer? :D

Its funny though.
    The managers were never told about it for obvious reasons but it actually helped the work get done more efficiently.
    The system we had at the time needed all data to be checked three times before being made live.
    If 2 or 3 bits of work came in at once, they had to be queued.

When we started playin games though, people who weren't even working came in to play.
    When work came in, everyone pitched in and got it done in double-quick time so they could get back to the game. :D

Came to an abrupt end though when one manager came in one evening and caught me drinking beers and playing games with the guys on duty. :D
    Nobody was fired or even reprimanded though. :)

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ahh, if I were that manager I'd have taxed you some beers and pretended I never saw the game :B

When I was last managing something I spent 90% of my time watching other people work, counting money (Not mine, sadly) or watching films. Couldn't drink on the premises, though, what with it being an off license :(

16. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I work on a 24*7 IT support desk, on nights it can be very quiet with hours with nothing to do. The management are all ex shift workers and so understand that during quiet periods, people surf the web, play games, read books, watch films/tv, even sleep. However that is all within reason, if somebodies work started to suffer due to them doing other things it'd become a problem.

On the topic of WoW, i've recently quit (4000+ hours on my main char) but i used to play here at work when i could connect to a open WiFI connection on my laptop. However the main proxies are all port blocked and monitored. I've been able to play abit of Warhammer Online, but my 3G modem can't get a strong signal most of the time.

It all depends on the job you work and how it works. Unless we have calls, emails or server alerts to deal with, it's allowed.

17. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

more than likely not...since i'm an auto mechanic, and the only tech here period! just the boss man and myself, and when waiting on parts deliveries or customer feedback, the DS comes out to play! (this comp is an old pII 333mhz system witn win95, don't think i can even attempt to play flash games. :D)

18. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Yes, but what about germing in the wakeplace? If only I'd used my antibacterial soap while still asleep!

19. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

God, I play WAR loads at work :p Being the boss has its perks!

20. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Pc's are too slow for real games where I work, besides, installing something needs admin rights, I happen to know the admin pw, but too chickenshit to abuse it.

Tags: