1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gaming on the same server as my housemate

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 24 Sep 2006.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm having problems, so far only with CoD, where my housemate and I can't play on the same server, we can play on different servers perfectly well but not the same ones.

I'm guessing this is because CoD has no login system so uses the IP of each person as thier "login" to track scores? Any way around this apart from getting a separate internet connection?

I'm guessing this will also effect things like steam games too.

2. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

Steam games are fine... They are all based on your Steam ID... I'm not sure about CoD, but I know steam games are 100% fine. Although mani can block you frmo ghosting on the same IP which is a shame sometimes lol

3. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

Yep, I have tried Steam games and BF2 and they all work fine, no idea about CoD though.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ah yeah I forgot about the logon system to steam since it does it automatically.

CoD 2 doesn't have any username and password system so I'm guessing your IP is your 'logon' hence why two people on the same network couldn't connect. They should really use a CD Key based thing but oh well.

5. SeBbY_007

I thought it did use a CD-Key based login? I heard there was lots of people complaining that they couldn't play online because their CD-Key was in use. :eyebrow:

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

All online games do that anyway to stop people using pirated versions online, but it doesn't seem to use the CD key as a login.

7. SeBbY_007

So you're saying that CoD2 uses CD-Keys, but not to login, they use IP's instead? :eyebrow:

8. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Yes, it uses your CD key to verify your status only, your IP address is used to play online

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Okay this is a bit annoying, tried playing HL2 Deathmatch but couldn't connect to the same server again :(

10. SeBbY_007

:eyebrow:

Strange, CS:S and DoD:S worked fine for me, must admit never tried HL2-DM...

(Smiliey appears if i put colon in DM)

Tags: