1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Gaming PC for £400 - £500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slinkylizard, 18 Oct 2011.

1. slinkylizard

slinkylizard What's a Dremel?

Hi all i've recently started university and decided i want to spend part of my student loan on a new gaming pc as i've always seemed to just have ones that can handle word processing and basic games.

Just to clarify this will be my first time building my own pc and I will be building the entire system from scratch so if you see anything wrong with what i post please feel free to send caps at me as it will save me time and money and help to build my experience :D

Budget Im looking to spend about £400 to £500 and im hoping that it will be able to run games like BF3 or shogun 2 on sorta medium settings at a decent fps. I dont need to worry about spending any of the budget on anything but the system as i already have the rest of the gubbins. I dont have to worry about it being noisy or the size of it thanks to living in a student house :hehe:

What the main uses of the PC will be GAMING GAMING GAMING...umm i said gaming right?

The native resolution of your monitor Umm im not entirely sure but most times i run it on about 1280 by 1024 for playing some games

Whether you will be overclocking or not. I will not be overclocking. This is due to the fact as this is my first build i want to keep things simple and since it seems overclocking can cause problems and i have no experince with it id best leave it alone for now

How much storage space you require. About 500g should be enough

Budget: £400 to £500
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming
    Parts required:(All prices are from scan.co.uk as this is the website bit tech used on their guide but prices may be cheaper elsewhere but thought it would be a good benchmark of price)

Graphics Card: GeoForce PNY GTX 560 --- £140
    Computer Case: Xclio Godspeed One Full Black Mid Tower --- £025
    PSU: 550W PSU, Powercool Green Dual PCPC550AUBA --- £040
    CPU: AMD CPU Phenom II 965 Black Quad Core Processor --- £100
    CPU Fan:140mm Fractal Design 800 RPM Silent Series Cooling Fan inc Rubber Fan Mounts --- £010
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 £040
    HardDrive: 500GB Seagate ST9500325AS Momentus --- £040
    CD/DVD Rom: HOT SELLER Samsung SH-D163C Black --- £010
    Memory Modules: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance --- £060

Total..£465

Still have a bit of money to play around with so if ive missed any components out or you think some of my choices are complete garbage would love to hear peoples recomendations.

One upgrade i was thinking about was changing the cpu to an intel i5 2500k, it is quite alot more money though so do you guys it would be worth an upgrade?

Got abit confused with the compatability stuff with the motherboard/ memory but tried to find peices that i think fit together but knowing my they probably wont :lol:

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Umm none that i can think of unless i need the usb's for any vital purpose, and im only going to use one graphics card due to cost do dont need the xfire/SLI.
    Extra information about desired system: Hope it works! xD

Cheers Slinkylizard

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's going to be at least another £110 to go the Intel route if you can foot that price hike.

You can make some better choices with the current build. Go for Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black LP 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz for around £45, a 1TB Samsung F3 just shy of £45. Also on the PSU front get a Corsair CX600 which is £50 from dabs.com! Upgrade the 560 to a 560Ti, that'd be a good place to spend a little extra.

3. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Don't forget your copy of Windows 7, use your university email address and get a student copy dead cheap, same goes for Office 2010 fr your coursework, it's worth getting it that way.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Get rid of that PSU, its terrible.

Get this Enermax one for £52 - its £10 more but a bad PSU can cause all kinds of problems from instability, crashing and even the death of other components.

Save £10 and get a 955 if you are going to get an AMD CPU. You could go for an FX-4100 which is the new version, but you'll probably find the motherboards are more expensive.

This Coolermaster Elite 370 case will be better than that case you've chosen in terms of sound levels and ease of use and costs just £5 more. Even better than that would be this Antec One Hundred for just another £6

Hard drive - Fine. But I recommend Samsung and Western Digital personally as I've had several Seagate ones fail on me, but never either of the above makes. Make sure its 7200rpm.

You are overspending on the RAM. 4GB is all you need on a budget build, and performance RAM like the vengeance won't really make any difference in gaming. This 4GB Corsair XMS3 is just £24, saving you £36....

...which you can put towards a better graphics card. The 560 is good, but a 560ti would be perfect! This Asus Direct CUII one is £172 and a great buy!

Think you might need a 120mm fan for the case, rather than a 140mm one. These Enermax TB Silence fans are good, and can be controlled automatically by your motherboard.

Also, what monitor are you using? Sounds like an old CRT! Try and pick up a used LCD one or this 21.5" Samsung is only £85

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

You haven't mentioned if you already have an OS for your build but I'm presuming you will be able to snag a fee copy from uni.

6. slinkylizard

slinkylizard What's a Dremel?

thanks for all the response guys should really be able to help me and seems like ill be able to spend some money upgrading the graphics card and so on and it seems upgrading to the 560ti is a popular choice so will probably do that.

About the OS forgot to mention that but i should be able to get a free/cheap copy from somewhere thanks to being a student :thumb:

If i dont need the extra ram then i can save a bundle there to and spend it on a better case and psu which seems like i picked a bad one out.

Any idea what to do about the cpu as parge mentioned the 955 which scored less on the benchamrk test on bit tech but they seemed to think more of it than the 965 in the review :S

Tags: