1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Gaming Server - How to?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raven, 14 Feb 2003.

1. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I've just spent 7 hours (slow day at work) trying to find information on how to configure a Gaming server. This will be my first attempt at creating a server.

I cannot figure out what specs this unit will need. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I looking for pure processor power? Is storage important? Any websites, tutorials would be helpfull.

I plan to use this to host our LAN games. We mostly play Half-life, CS, Starcraft, Age Of Empires II, Diablo II...

Is a dual processor system really needed? (Currently run an AMD 1700 dualie) I have a Bridge/router, and a hub with all the cabling needed.

Thanks...

2. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I'd figure it would all depend on how many people will be connecting to the server. I, too am about to do the exact same thing.

I've got:

-AMD Duron 750
    -512MB PC2100
    -Asus A7V
    -20GB 5400rpm HDD
    -Windows .NET Server RC1 (but I'm sure WinXP'd do just as well. I use it because I can :)
    -GeForce 2 MX, 32MB

I wanted to try it out, so I chose to use BF1942 and Soldier of Fortune 2.
    BF1942 has a "dedicated server" option right in the start menu. I ran that, configured, and viola! A server.

Secondly, I started up SOF2-MP and configured it and hit the "run dedicated" (or whatever the wording was) and, tada! Server 2 was running. I connected to it from another machine and both seemed fine.

All I need to do is get enough people to connect to it to see how well it will fare.

I'm wanting to use this at a ~40 man LAN.

I dunno if this was the same route you're wanting to go, but I doubt it's much different.

3. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

4. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

ndtinker: Thx for the insight, it was more for a 5-10 man LAN. I was also planning on allowing my friends access via the net. But that will be later.

The history behind this is that all my friends complain that hosting an Age of Empires game will lag them down. This is were a game server would help us out.

SleeperDC: That's a good link, I'm reading it now. It's better than any doc I've found so far...

Thx again...

Tags: