1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gaming - University Halls (Nottingham)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bluespider42, 9 Nov 2011.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I have been attempting to get my brother back into pc gaming since my dad replaced the family pc with one incapable of playing anything and him getting an xbox. Him starting uni this year and asking me to build him a pc seemed like the perfect opportunity especially with bf3 coming out (we both used to play bf2 alot).
    So it seems like xbox live/GfWL and steam both run fine through uni halls network, although we can't get portal 2 coop to work. However he can't get bf3 to work, he can't register on origin. So does anyone know if the origin service is blocked or anything and if there's anyway around it. I'm feeling a bit betrayed as I've spent months proclaiming the vertues of pc gaming only to have drop £30 in a game he can't play (not even offline sp).
    Any suggest would be appreciated, I wont be seeing him or his pc until christmas, by which time I fear MW3 will have been purchased and he will be lost for good...

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Get him to give you his login details, logon to origin from your computer, redeem his BF3 key, logout.

Let him download it.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

As somebody who works for IT in a university I would suggest he contacts his helpdesk and aks them to look into it.

4. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Thanks, I've managed to activate his serial number on his origin account so hopefully that'll do the trick!

I didn't know if online gaming would be forbidden under his halls contract or something, I just remember when I was at uni the it services were very happy to block your pc if they didn't like what you were doing.

5. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

hmm still not working, I guess it's something the IT guys at nottingham would have to change

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I game at my college with no problem at all, I don't know why they would restrict it.

7. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

I had issues downloading a digital copy of win7 when I was in Nottingham halls; the network can be kinda dodgy. Don't think I ever managed to get it working. I played a couple of games online without issue though iirc.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just email to find out, our IT services are fine with it.
    In fact we now have a game server on JANET.... ;)

Edit:
    And I've got friends at Nottingham who play games, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  9. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Do you know if they play BF3? or another origin game

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'll ask.