1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gartner predicts a 42 percent drop in DRAM pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Jul 2019.

  1. bit-tech

    bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

    Joined:
    12 Mar 2001
    Posts:
    2,423
    Likes Received:
    43
    Read more
     
  2. adidan

    adidan Guesswork is still work

    Joined:
    25 Mar 2009
    Posts:
    14,194
    Likes Received:
    1,696
    I can't keep up. Just days ago it was prices would be going up because of Toshiba, Japan/South Korea and reasons.
     
    monty-pup likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

    Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    4 Dec 2007
    Posts:
    12,708
    Likes Received:
    1,977
    That, I believe, was referring to spot pricing which makes up around 10 percent of the market; Gartner's talking about market pricing, as I understand it - which is the other 90 percent.
     
  4. Wakka

    Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

    Joined:
    23 Feb 2017
    Posts:
    2,029
    Likes Received:
    591
    Is this another part of the collusion, though?! Keep telling everyone that the price is about to plummet, so everyone waits and holds on to what they have, then some big crisis happens and boom, 25% rise instead.

    /tinfoilhat
     
  5. Corky42

    Corky42 Where's walle?

    Joined:
    30 Oct 2012
    Posts:
    9,354
    Likes Received:
    331
    Sorry for being stupid but what's spot pricing, i assume market pricing is what companies pay for the DIMMs from whoever is doing the fabricating.
     
    monty-pup likes this.
  6. adidan

    adidan Guesswork is still work

    Joined:
    25 Mar 2009
    Posts:
    14,194
    Likes Received:
    1,696
    I guess it's buy it if you need it otherwise we may as well put our money in stocks the amount we can end up guessing the market.
     
  7. Gareth Halfacree

    Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    4 Dec 2007
    Posts:
    12,708
    Likes Received:
    1,977
    Spot pricing is right-darn-now - in other words, if I wanted X amount of DRAM immediately with no prior contract. What I called market pricing should actually be called contract pricing, and is what you pay when you've got a (surprise!) contract in place.

    To quote DRAMeXchange:
    Sudden spikes and troughs in the spot pricing don't affect the contract pricing, 'cos you've already agreed pricing before the volatility hit. If the contract expires before the spot pricing recovers, your next contract will be higher/lower, but that's a problem for the future. Thus it's entirely possible for spot pricing to spike over the short term while contract pricing trends downwards over the medium to long term - and the spike in spot pricing doesn't have a huge effect on end pricing to you and me, 'cos barely anybody buys their parts on the spot market.
     
    Last edited: 23 Jul 2019
    Corky42 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags

Share This Page