1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gartner predicts a 42 percent drop in DRAM pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I can't keep up. Just days ago it was prices would be going up because of Toshiba, Japan/South Korea and reasons.

monty-pup likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That, I believe, was referring to spot pricing which makes up around 10 percent of the market; Gartner's talking about market pricing, as I understand it - which is the other 90 percent.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Is this another part of the collusion, though?! Keep telling everyone that the price is about to plummet, so everyone waits and holds on to what they have, then some big crisis happens and boom, 25% rise instead.

/tinfoilhat

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry for being stupid but what's spot pricing, i assume market pricing is what companies pay for the DIMMs from whoever is doing the fabricating.

monty-pup likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I guess it's buy it if you need it otherwise we may as well put our money in stocks the amount we can end up guessing the market.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Spot pricing is right-darn-now - in other words, if I wanted X amount of DRAM immediately with no prior contract. What I called market pricing should actually be called contract pricing, and is what you pay when you've got a (surprise!) contract in place.

To quote DRAMeXchange:
    Sudden spikes and troughs in the spot pricing don't affect the contract pricing, 'cos you've already agreed pricing before the volatility hit. If the contract expires before the spot pricing recovers, your next contract will be higher/lower, but that's a problem for the future. Thus it's entirely possible for spot pricing to spike over the short term while contract pricing trends downwards over the medium to long term - and the spike in spot pricing doesn't have a huge effect on end pricing to you and me, 'cos barely anybody buys their parts on the spot market.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2019
    Corky42 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags