1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gates and Jobs to share the love on stage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Feb 2007.

1. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

My experience with the hardcore mac fans is that they usually are, it would be nice to see a somewhat civil discussion with a few jabs here and there. :D

2. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I don't see that as a defeat by Microsoft, it's not really in the same context to begin with. Apple's reasons for switching to Intel x86 processors were because IBM couldn't produce what they wanted, when they wanted.

They took it in their stride and bloody hell -- it worked. Sucess. Win. Their products have improved, not only in performance, but in compatiblity and flexibility. I'd say being able to run Windows XP or Vista reliably on a Mac is the nail in the coffin for a LOT of users who'd love a Mac, but couldn't afford to lose Windows.

Exclude business customers from that and you'll have a much narrower spread. Business customers are biased on price; they don't give a damn about quality. It just has to work. It just so happens the cheapest hardware back in the day came with Microsoft's software loaded on it.

Microsoft built for businesses, and work places were the first place a lot of people in my parents' generation came into contact with computers. They learnt Microsoft, they know Microsoft and 99% of them really do need Microsoft -- because they don't know anything else.

It's an efficient strategy, and one that snow-balls with time. It's only really now that people are trying to move away from 'the monopoly'. I definitely wouldn't see a business (besides your graphic design houses) even consider switching to a complete Mac-based network. Your average bean counter would look at the TCO and drop a brick. Cheap hardware + cheap OS = Linux, hence Microsoft's main rival these days.

Besides, if we go back to the main point at hand -- regardless of Microsoft's lion share of the desktop market, I'm pretty sure Apple's user-base is on the up. You don't call that a defeat do you?

Firefox's market share is what, 10%? Compared to the 80-something percent of IE. Since when have the Mozilla team suffered a defeat? Their user-base steadily rose and even now it's steadying out, you wouldn't refer to it as a defeat unless it starts snow-balling back towards 0% again.

Being so narrow-minded really is a shame. I'm pretty anti-apple (aside from OSX), but they're definitely not defeated -- and rising in my books all the time.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2007
  3. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Macs aren't exactly up there in quality. Not saying that PCs are any better - but I'm fairly Macs are pumped out by the exact same companies and places that pump out other PCs.

To say that an Apple branded Asus Macbook is better than Asus' own line is just sheer arrogance unless you can objectively prove it - because as far as I'm concerned, the same factory and the same standards = the same quality.

Macs might be more eloquently designed, but let's not debate build quality, because Apple has their own plagues of issues.

4. tuteja1986

tuteja1986 What's a Dremel?

I am not saying OSX is bad , i am saying Job is not the great leader as most of you think of him as. See german did develop the best tanks (panther) and plane (me262) in ww2.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

wow, tat IS pretty good... lol

6. randosome

randosome Banned

lmao thats great :D

7. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

i want tickets to the show! lol

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I do believe it's sold out already, chap. :waah: