1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gatwick Drone Theories

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Bungletron, 20 Dec 2018.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

I think that was my point... what was yours? :p

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My point was that they did do the thing they can't do, and it proved to be the wrong thing to do, which is why they can't do it. Again.

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

Following the drone with another drone is a brilliant and simple solution! Pursue from behind, since you keep a relative speed when you fly the sacrificial drone into a rotor when it is safe so this can be done with highly accuracy. Otherwise just follow the drone to the landing zone and film the culprits. Its better than shooting at it with all the jet fuel and buildings around.

It does not surprise me at all that there is no contingency for this, the disruption strategy is unprecedented and this is Britain after all. I think at this stage the credible incompetence of the response is the main indicator that supports idiots. Well motivated and technically adept idiots, but still idiots.

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Well-Known Member

I'm a qualified and CAA approved commercial drone operator, I'm worried about incidents like this affecting my livelihood. We are bound by the laws concerning commercial drone operation (Air Navigation Order - 2016). It's odds on that a high profile incident like this is going to result in politicians demanding changes to the existing laws, which then means increased restrictions and regulation for commercial drone operators like myself. We already have a lot of hoops to jump through before we even consider launching a drone.

In terms of which drone was used, I'd guess at a DJI Inspire or even possibly a custom made drone. The Phantom does look toy like whereas the Inspire does look more industrial. Other industrial drones come at a massive cost, with some hitting tens of thousands of pounds.

If it was a DJI drone, the operator has been clever and bypassed the firmware set no fly zone safety feature (DJI Geo Zone). DJI included this in firmware updates a while ago, where their drones will not operate in controlled airspace. An operator would have to contact DJI for an authorisation code to be able to operate the drone in these situations.

I have authorisations from DJI and from my local Air Traffic Control Unit to be able to operate in controlled airspace around my local airport, but I had to meet with the ATCU and demonstrate the fact I can operate safely, both in pre, in and post flight phases. I also have to follow a strict set of procedures and ensure I have a dedicated contact method open to ATCU. So it is possible to lawfully operate drones within an airports controlled airspace.

The whole thing boils my blood. Commercial drone operations is still a relatively young industry and idiots using drones like this just serves to make it that much harder and also expensive for people who are making a living from it.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Maybe there is no spoon drone

9. adidan

adidan End of season avatar. 50% reduction.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

adidan likes this.