1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCSE's

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 11 May 2007.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Well, there is a thread for A Levels, so why not one for GCSE's.

This year, i'm doing higher Latin and French, with first proper exams starting in 4 days :sigh: (I have to do them a year early).

What are other people doing this year for their exams?

2. Been

Been What's a Dremel?

Latin and French...OUCH!

3. seebul

seebul Minimodder

physics :wallbash: pretty much failed already though , dont understand any of it.

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

why choose a dead language?

Don't sweat GCSE's. the only ones that truly matte is Eng/Maths and science. everything else is plain poo.

And if you do indeed mess up badly don't worry coz it ain't end of the world.

5. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

It's one of the key methods used to ensure that private school kids have an air of being generally better than you. Also, y'know, many other languages being ridiculously similar to Latin and knowing the language makes several European languages far easier. That's just a bonus though, it's mainly the elitism thing.

Completely joking, Latin is an awesome language to know.

Doing alright in English, Maths and the sciences is fine if you want average results. However, if you want to really excel (as someone from Eton would I imagine) then doing very well in 9-10 subjects is fairly normal. I go to school with 3-4 people who got 10 A*s last year, so it's not true at all that you should just go for 5-6 ok-ish grades.

Well, I sound old... :sigh:

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Thats another thing ive found. Alot of the people whom i went to school with who got the A-grades actually flopped some of their A-levels and a few also flopped their degrees.

Just because you get A's in GCSE's doesn't mean that you would automatically excel in the next stage. Personally i flopped my GCSE's but at the end of the day i got my degree, but im not using it as the market is over saturated and i don't enjoy doing I.T. as a paid job.

That being said you could call me out and say that i wouldn't have a clue at what im talking about. I went to two private schools before finally i went to high school to do my GCSE's and my thought's are that they were a waste of time and also i missed out on alot of social interaction with people in general and doing things kid's at that age should.

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Just, broke up for study leave (on Thursday), first exam is English lit' on 22nd, Hopefully I'll come out with about 8 B's and an A* :)

English lit + lang: BB
    Economics: B
    Business Studies: BB
    Art: A/ A*
    Maths: B
    Science: BB
    Engineering: CC/DD (CBA with this, no use to me tbh...)

-Fr4nk

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm only doing Latin because I have to. Eton forces us to do Latin and French a year early, becuase it supposed to help us be 'better'.

Next yeat, i'm up for...::

English Lit + Lang
    Maths
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemestry
    Divinity (RS ect.)
    Geography
    Design.

that'll give me a total of 11.

Next year looks set to be a long'un.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Aye, GCSE sucess doesn't mean a lot, I got OK results but I'm coping pretty well with A levels (some of the hardest as well).
    And latin is defo one of the things a private school will teach to make it look better. There's not much better about going to one really.

I think RE is also important, it does teach you somewhat about religion and more important it teaches you to argue your case.

10. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

Good Luck in your english :p

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

yeah............... shut-up :D

12. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

I've got my GCSEs starting in about 6 day's time and looking at the slightly worrying timetable, I have a total of 11 science exams :sigh:

13. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Reading this it makes me glad I'm not doing exams etc anymore but that might change in september.
    Planning to go do information engineering with network management masters at uni...

Still, at least I'll get stuff cheap with my student card... :D

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

There, I fixed it for you.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

What am I doing? I'm having to mark the flipping coursework... gah. On the upside, study leave means I get loads of free lessons now!

16. funkycat06

funkycat06 What's a Dremel?

long time since i did mine -1997

17. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:O

what are you taking...?
    i did triple science only had to do 6 papers...

1 main paper and 1 extension for each...

18. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Bah, 10 c grades will see you fine most of the time.
    Most colleges/Sixth forms only ask for 5 C grade gcses, being the lazy and cocky git that I am I knew I could get c's in everything so only revised a few dates in history to make sure I didn't fail.
    The only one I was worried about getting a C in was maths (i was in the top set but no teacher would listen when I told them I couldn't do it!) looked at a revision book n started weeping. I answered 2 questions on the entire paper for the final 2 exams and still managed it.

Came out with 5 C's, 4 B's and an A.... not bad at all!

19. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

I'm taking triple science but we have 2 modules still to do, then 3 papers for each seperate science

20. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

Well, I also have my GCSEs coming up, First exam this Friday (Music, Edexcel)
    I have a total of 11 1/2 hours of Maths exams to look forward to (Yuppie).

Thankfully, I took CiDa for IT, so I miss out on quite a few exams as it is 100% Courswork (2 easy A*s on my part).
    Only exams I'm worried about are the Science ones. It's my weakest subject, but I should still be able to get a double A.

Good luck to everybody else with exams :)