1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GE unveils piezoelectric fan replacement technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

When can I get some in servers?

I come away from some customers partially deaf.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I wasn't aware that cooling was so hung up on the accepted wisdom for its cooling :p ;)

It's an intriguing idea, it'd be interesting to see how they perform against standard (that's conventional convection :D) fans.

Should we be worried, though, that everyone in the video was wearing safety goggles - even the besuited VP?

4. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

So they only make the Minigun then?

Quite strange that we use a lot of GE stuff at work which aren't miniguns, suppose we aren't blinkered like some.

Also I work in a research lab, and most of the time we have to wear safety gear, so I do not understand you're question, its just basic health & safety.

5. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Easily in the top 5 largest corporations on the planet.

6. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I'd rather have the Minigun meself like

7. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

"down far more efficiently than just convention alone"

Convention? do you mean convection?

8. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

The prob with GE is they have almost everything you can image, and you can't be good at everything PERIOD!

9. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Honestly, this is one of the coolest bits of tech I've seen in a while. If their performance claims hold up, and the price is reasonable, I could see these being quite a big deal.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oopsie - fixed, ta!

Blinkered, by referring to GE's most famous creation? You'll have to let me know what the view is like from up there on that high horse. Does GE make/invest in/invent other things than firearms? Yes. When you say "General Electric," does a not-insignificant proportion of the male populace, raised on a diet of films like Terminator 2 and Predator - which, incidentally, show the Minigun as man-portable, when it is not - hear the suffix "Minigun" in their internal monologue? Yes. Is that proportion even higher on a site where a large section of the readership play games with Minigun and Minigun-like weapons (from the 'chaingun' found in Wolfenstein 3D and Doom upwards?) Yes.

It was a lighthearted throwaway comment, nothing more. Don't fret: I'm sure GE's stock price will recover from my devastating hatchet job.

(Incidentally, I have a GE consumer unit powering my house. Suppose I'm not blinkered and presumptive like some.)

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

When I think GE, I think jet engines for planes. So you're both wrong!

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Actually, when I think GE I think Six Sigma and loads of middle managers creating projects just so that they can get their black belts...:sigh:

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Going to have to disagree with you there. While every person whose played a video game with guns in the past twenty years likely is aware of the minigun, I can pretty well guarantee very, very few are aware it was invented by GE.

When I think GE, I think light bulb commercials with that 'we bring good things to life' jingle...but maybe that was a US thing.

At any rate, nice to see them actually investing in some R & D - seems a lot of corporations don't like spending money on anything if it won't make them a profit within the next two quarters.

I won't argue with the performance, since it seems to work (and damn - a design that simple nobody thought up until 2012? Humanity, I am disappoint.) But I'm not seeing how it will work to make a 200mm big boy lit up with super-bright, garish LEDs :p

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, I didnt know GE made the minigun - however it doesn't really warrant the kind of reception that small sentence is getting... get over it, guys :)

Seems like an interesting piece of tech - I would LOVE a cheap solution to making my pc entirely silent, and since this is simply a few pieces of metal that vibrated I would imagine that it would get fairly cheap fairly quick :)

edit: also, as wireless power gets a bit cheaper I wonder if these could be powered wirelessly... then you could just stick them anywhere in your case, or all over your case, without the need for wires :) (would dramatically increase the price though I would imagine!)

15. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!