1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gears of War 3 to feature Casual Mode in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jul 2011.

1. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

my uber high tree of wisdom have told me to crush you using sunflower powered plants :p followed by an attack from the Trine trio. and finish off by my trusty pirate friend Guybrush Threepwood.

gosh, i've got a lot of casual games on my computer. luckly angry birds has been strickly limited to my mobile devices.

2. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Well yes the £5k side of it is out of choice, but you don't really back up your own side of the argument by saying "I've spent £2.5k" either. That's still a lot of money.

Since August 2005 - About 3 months before the Xbox was released - i've had to go through an Athlon 64 with a 7800GT system (Not cheap). E6600 with 8800GTX system in 2007 (Not cheap). A Q9550 and an i7 930 with a Radeon 5870 system to keep gaming at high res.

I have a lot of friends there's no problem in that respect. As I said before in my previous post, it's just that none of them really want to spend (Or can afford) a decent PC to play games at decent resolution. Especially when the Xbox provides what they want for gaming.

Are you referring to those false friends that you meet on games and never meet in person? I find that a bit weird myself.

3. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

A PC doesn't need to cost 3 times as much as crapbox £3.60. Crashing is more common? I guess you must have been using windows XP then. Most games are pretty stable these days. Crysis 2 hasn't crashed once and windows 7 is much more stable than the shitty XP.

PC games aren't 3 times better? No, that's because most of the developers decided to code for the lowest system and then upscale to the PC and so PC games have suffered as a consequenec. Latest news from DICE is that Battlefield 3 is being coded primarily for the most powerful platform and scaled back to accomodate the vintage gaming systems.

Do I want extremely outdated gaming hardware? No. I want a system where I can upgrade parts one a time over the space of a few years. I sell my old parts and get money back. I got £102 for my Q6600 on ebay. £75 for my Gigabyte 260 Super OC etc. The old excuse that PC gaming is expensive is really just bollocks. Plenty of ways to minimise cost as well as recoup some of the outlay later. The big advantage is that I can change each part and decide what goes into it. I can't do that with a console. It only seems like yesterday the 360 was announced and now it's a very old system with pretty poor graphics compared to even a low end gaming PC.

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon New Member

I think PC gaming is often perceived as being expensive because of what it is, a hobby and gamers will often needlessly lavish money on it just because it is their hobby and they want to.
    In reality you can pick up very capable machines for £300 - £400.

5. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits New Member

But you have to compare like for like!

You are comparing the cost of consoles with a PC, but you are not comparing the finished article. Consoles don't have super high resolutions, cranked graphics, and AF and AA. If you play a console game on PC (like NFS / GTA / GoW / whatever) and you use moderate settings with no AA etc.. to match what you get on the console, then it runs smooth as silk even on old hardware.

So your argument is (unintentionally I think) biased, because you didn't 'need' your most recent upgrade. That old dual core conroe with 8800gtx will match anything a console can do. The PC vs Console debate is actually quite deep, when you consider that people work on their PC's etc.. you can't just say well consoles are cheaper so there.

p.s. and all the stuff about friends is personal to you, and doesn't have anything to do with PC gaming in general.

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

This. Exactly my point. +1

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As long as you're enjoying yourself, I suppose. :confused:

God forbid different people enjoy different things, apparently.

Blame Steam imo. Drop a couple bucks here and there on those addictive little games and next thing you know it's a sizable chunk of your collection! And you really can't scoff at the value of them, $5 for even just 10 hours and you've hit a pretty typical cost to play time ratio of a AAA title.

Tags: Add Tags