1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gears of War film set for 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The aspect ratio of all the characters are wrong, so it will be full of wrestlers, whose aspect ratios are also wrong.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It could be ok. It has a reasonable script writer behind it and as far as I know Gears was largely Cliffy's vision, so he knows how to make the franchise look good. Although I'm a bit skeptical of the production going ahead when the Halo movie fell through (I was kinda looking forward to that when they announced it).

Here's hoping...!

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I just can't get excited about it. The ratio of good game-to-movie conversions is so low that I simply cannot believe this has the strength to be anything more than say, "Doom"..

What about a movie of Zak MacKracken or Leisure Suit Larry??

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm just waiting for them to announce that the director is Uwe Boll... :(

7. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Lol excellent word use! I've often thought that way about the recent UT characters too.

8. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

The biggest problem with game-to-film adaptations is that the writers always feel compelled to completely change the story and characters. Remember "Super Mario Brothers"? Where the hell did that vision come from? "Resident Evil" - that got all twisted, with the rubbish to do with the computer. "Doom" - genetic engineering instead of hell unleashed. If the games are so popular, why do the writers and producers of the film adaptations always feel they ought to change everything?

9. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Well, again, why are they always the same sorts of games they choose? Big guns and big explosions... because it's so *easy* to do. Chuck it all at special fx and there, 90% of the game-to-movie conversion is done. Let's see some proper "creative" storylines, characters, without big bang-bang guns and super flashy explosions.

Let's see a game-to-movie version of "Below the Root" - if they can do that then there's still hope...

10. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Gears of war always reminded me of Starship Troopers anyway, its the whole creatures coming out of the ground and big cannon type bug. Perhaps the film will be Starship Troopers set on earth, with a bit of pitch black thrown in for the night scenes.

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I don't think the IP is actually all that strong to make a good movie, but it could be be done with good production and writing.
    aren't they making a warcraft movie? i have high hopes for that, that is very good lore/IP

Tags: Add Tags