1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Geekbench scores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 14 Dec 2011.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Depends on the architecture, more memory does lead to a slightly higher score, but so far as I can test; faster transfer speeds, so a combination of speed and latency, impact the memory tests. The stream is more about the speed at last check, while the other memory tests are slightly more latency oriented.

Simply getting a faster NB, thereby giving myself more bandwidth between memory and CPU leads to a good 700 point boost on both memory scores on AMD systems, higher Uncore seems to do the same on X58.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's me who updates it. I'll get on it later.

3. Pookeyhead

Hmmm... I have a few spare drives.. I can also just plug them into the top of the Corsair 650D. Seriously tempting.

4. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Lol dude nice score, but totally irrelevant to Pookey's charts which (afaik) are all on Windows 32-bit/64-bit. Your 930 gets almost the same Floating Point performance as my 990X at 4.7GHz - LOL!

Try running in Windows with your hardware tweaks and give us a score we can actually compare! :thumb:

6. Pookeyhead

And it's the 64bit version of Geekbench he was using.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Um, Pookey...

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

LOL ninjaspreadie :D

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Forgive me if I've missed something but they both seem to be version 2.2.3 so it's fair to assume they're performing the same tests. If this is the case his results are extremely relevant because they show a possible performance difference based on operating system, though it'd be best to see scores from the same system on both Windows and Linux. In the quest for higher scores isn't choosing a faster operating system just another tweak?

lp rob1 likes this.
  10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

+rep right there, sir! You are worthy to hold the Tux up high now!
    But yes, another operating system is just another tweak. But in the interests of comparison websites meta-fairness, I will rerun the test on Windows when I get back to my rig on Sunday.

11. Pookeyhead

The link says it's 64bit.

Anyhoooo... just tried installing it on Ubuntu out of curiosity.. and I've given up. Not used to Linux, and I just can't work out how to get the tar.gz file to install. I forgot why I gave up on Linux the last time I tried it. It's just stupidly complicated and fiddly to get stuff installed. I can't be arsed. I want things to just install, and any OS that doesn't just do that has failed IMO. If I have to spend ages installing an archive handler, and package installer, and typing into a command line, or any of these things... it's failed. I don't care how 1337 it is, or how cool it is.. it's failed.

Stupid linux.

We are comparing hardware... not operating systems, so unless we're all using the same OS, it fails as a hardware test.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Pookey hit the nail on the head - for a comparative hardware test to be valid, the software parameters need to be the same.

Highlight of this thread IMO, LOL :D

13. Pookeyhead

Sorry, but I despise anything that gets in the way of what I want to do, and when the very OS is getting in my way it can just **** off.

14. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

:eyebrow: Someone can't use Google...
    "...spend ages installing an archive handler..." Already in there by default. Clicking the Unity start button gives you a list of software, one of which is called Archive Manager. Or you can just search for it like the Windows search box (much quicker to get to it than using clunky Unity)
    "...and package installer..." Again, already there. Assuming I know what you think I know you should think it is. A piece of software that installs other pieces of software. Ninite software installer got some headway in the Windows area, but Ubuntu has the Ubuntu Software Centre. Again, same access as with the Archive Manager. Heck, it's even in the quick start bar at the left! Tip: It's the icon with the big 'U'

And the killer statement:
    "...and I just can't work out how to get the tar.gz file to install." Well, opening up the .tar.gz file by double clicking on it immediately shows you that it is an archive. And archives don't install - they just carry files around. So the files contained in the .tar.gz file must be the program itself! (Step 1)
    Looking inside you see a folder called 'dist'. Must be just some kind of monkey business with Primate Labs. :naughty: Inside that folder you see the Geekbench folder - understandable. Inside that... (Step 2)
    ...you find a .plar file and two files with x86_XX as a suffix. The XX being 32 or 64. This seems oddly like an architecture I have heard of... something to do with 'bits'... Armed with that knowledge, we can figure out that those two files must do the same thing as the prefix suggests, but on different architectures, as the suffix suggests. So, these must be the executables! :eeek: (Step 3)
    Now we know what to do. Extract the files with the handy Archive Manager, then double click on the _32 file (64-bit is limited to registered people). Oh noes! Nothing happened! Surprisingly enough, searching for 'how to run geekbench linux' brings up some interesting results, including the 'I Click Open, nothing happens' result. This is a post on the support website of Primate Labs, and the guy says to run some commands. oOo, commands. Like, command line commands? Terminal is easy enough to open, and skipping the tar command (we already extracted the files remember?) we just need to run ./geekbench_x86_32 or something like that. Using cd (change directory - exactly the same as on Windows) to the folder with our extracted files, then issuing ./geekbench_x86_32 (or whatever) suddenly gives us output! Hurrah, in all of 2 minutes I figured out how to run Geekbench on Linux by using Google, from a less experienced user's point of view.

And now you probably want to know why they chose to make it command line instead of GUI. This is because they do not have the resources to target both .NET and GTK+ or QT (or any of the plethora of other widget toolkits out there). I wouldn't be surprised if there is a command line tool for Windows as well, for users who want more control. Obviously you can't turn off Windows leaving just the DOS prompt, but in Linux you can, giving even more performance.

So, stupid Linux, or just mis-guided Pookey? :p

15. Pookeyhead

(sigh)

Boards updated.

16. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Really?
    The link on the front page is still pointing to old scores (I can tell because otherwise Siwini would be the LGA1156 champ). And I would understand entirely if you decided not to include my result. But it just shows how much difference an OS can make!

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

[​IMG]

For the score. I derped and forgot that SpeedStep dropped everything once the test was done. It boosts up to 38x multiplier for 3.84GHz, the P8P67 uses Turbo Boost to OC so I can't really get a screenshot of the final score and the mid-test speed. Maybe this will an incentive to get a real OC going over the weekend. :D

18. Pookeyhead

Still can't get it to run. When I try to CD to the directory it's in, terminal returns with "No such file or directory" even though there clearly is. I've used pwd to find where I am, dir to get list.. and then cd to go to the directory where the executables are, but "cd geekbench-2.2.3-linux" returns "no such file or directory". Any ideas?

I haven't included yours, no.. for the same reason I won't include my own Linux scores (if and when I can get it running). It's a hardware benchmark thread.. not a OS benchmark thread. To be meaningful, we must all be using the same OS.

I have updated.. just forgot to update the class leader box. Will do that shortly.

That's the Ubuntu cloud thing on mine.. Ubuntu One.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Very nice Spreadie - well deserved victory ;)

I'm half tempted to put my 920 back in and roast you LOL :D

David likes this.