1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And John McClane uses a car. haven't seen that in BFBC2... yet

2. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Have been wondering whether or not it would be better to bring back the Classes from BF2142 instead, i.e.:

Assault w/ Defib/Heal Pack
    Support w/ Ammo Box
    Engineer
    Recon

The main reason being it would counter some of the issues such as Assault being able to have an infinite supply of Noobtubes and Medics no longer having one of the best guns in the game and the ability to revive themselves.

One problem that isn't addressed however is the Medic's lack of dependency on an Assault for ammo however since they still have the highest clip in the game and it wouldn't get any better if they could hand out Ammo boxes. However since they already rarely need them anyways i don't think the "buff" would be too significant.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Assault: no ammo box, just the guns for frontal assault
    Medic: no LMG, shotgun or SMG, w/ health pack and defib. guns for self defence, main duty is to heal squad
    Support: LMG, ammo box for providing covering fire from back of pack
    Engineer: same as BFBC2, kill takes and repair
    Recon: same as BFBC2, but more VSS-like guns and less bolt-action rifles, so less people sit miles away

that should solve overpowered medic rush tactic in BFBC2.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Well, DICE did issue the challenge to the fans that if you had ideas for anything that would definately improve the game in any way (weapon, vehicles, layout etc) then to contact via some website and the best idea would be implemented and the creator would get a hefty bonus.

The actualy statement:

5. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

This might just be the PC game to reel gamers back to their PCs, been looking for a good game to bring me back to FPS and daaaaamn! It looks good, some of the videos (gametrailers.com have a few) look friggin awesome!

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Perhaps a separate designated marksman class (with psudo-snipers like the SVD and M14) with recon being sniper or spec-ops. Can't see it happening but it'd be nice; imagine your squad is fighting a losing battle to hold the objective but then BAM, BAM, BAM, your team's sniper has gotten into position and made the fight a whole lot easier.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Personally I think they should limit the number of each class you can have in a squad. Squads with 3 snipers sorry, recons are no fun to be in, and a squad of 4 medics constantly reviving each other or 4 engies constantly repairing a tank is no fun to go up against. Altering the class balance may help to address that, but I think only allowing a maximum of 1 (or perhaps 2) of each class in a squad should help to encourage team play and make people learn to use the other classes instead of just choosing a class based on what weapon they want to use.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

TBH there isn't an inherent problem with the Recon/Sniper Class.

The main problem is that the majority of people playing them either are the lone wolf sniper types and/or the fact that so many people bitch and moan about them that the whole thing's out of hand.

It also doesn't help that Snipers are really the only class that you see what they're doing wrong (i.e. camping). In reality if they were to change class to Assault/Medic they'd be the same type of people that refuse to revive or give you health/ammo despite you spamming Q on them the whole time. Or if they went Engineer they'd be the guys running around shooting RPGs at Infantry and ignoring the tanks and vehicles that are rolling by.

Ultimately my point is that it's not the gameplay/class mechanics of the Recon class and trying to "fix" the situation by breaking or significantly changing the class isn't a solution.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I think too many people are basing these on Bad Company 2 Recon classes. Different beast. Remember snipers in BF2, they were there, but not all that great. A good shot was an achievement at range. Hell, Karkand they sucked except at the bridge, but you could hardly see anyway!

After BF2 and BC2, I have enough faith in DICE to get this right.

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I do agree with you, although my experience is with BF2142 Sniping rather than BF2. However i think it's more to do with the game mode rather than the game itself.

The whole nature of Conquest/Titan Mode means that squads are more mobile and have to move around the map in order to capture points etc. It's just not feasible for a Sniper to have multiple vantage of different Objectives within a few metres of each other or safe near their spawn area.

Whilst i do love the whole "frontline/battlefront" that Rush mode (and Conquest: Frontlines) creates, it does mean that Snipers are able to camp a spot/hill and get away with it since it forces the fight at a specific area.

Also, i personally never got into Conquest mode, preferring the Titan Mode of BF2142. I think the main reason is that it essentially removes the "dying" element as punishment from a team perspective since the only objective is to capture the Missile Silos and lower the Titan Shields. This makes it much more noob friendly and doesn't punish them for making mistakes and/or risking their lives to try and take an objective. Whereas in Conquest mode if they were to do the same thing multiple times, they'd also be contributing to their Team's loss of tickets maybe making them hesitant to go on the frontlines more.

11. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Would be nice if they added some additional multiplayer modes...
    I know it's been done time after time but it would be good to see things like KoTH and Capture the flag (or capture the intelligence...etc). Bad Company 2 covered the "area domination mode", as someone who has played for over 80 hours now, I think it just needs something else.

Also I think the addition of campaign coop would be really good. Bad Company 2's was a bit bland; basic run around and shoot enemies with multiple cutscenes... The FMVs released so far makes the campaign look much much better; playing it with a friend would be awesome!

12. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

I agree, I think having a mode in which you have 1 life... akin to TF2's arena mode, would make each game feel much more realistic and stop people from running into enemy zones to capture areas..etc. Would actually have to think and be defensive at times, would add another element to the gameplay.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Actually i believe they confirmed that a Coop Campaign would be present. Although it would be standalone from the main campaign. I assume they mean something similar to say Splinter Cell: Conviction's mode although the two aren't exactly similar genres lol.

I agree that it would definitely make things interesting although it would be hard to balance:

Do medics still get to revive people, thus making them crucial? If so then whole teams of medics could become rather unbalanced. If not then you've effectively eliminated the possibility of one class being played unless they can provide some other benefit.

Also, assuming that Revives are allowed:

- I can see a lot of Recon/Medic teams happening, the Recon's generally have one hit stopping power and range so they don't have to go in to ranges where it's more about reactions and your ability to jump/turn 180/crouch/headshot in the span of 1 second. A nearby medic could then easily run between the group of Recons and keep them alive.

- If explosives "destroy" bodies like in BC2, or at least so it seems like in BC2 it could also encourage many people to simply go around as Assault/Engineer noobtubing and/or RPG'ing which is already a problem in BC2 already.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

after the success of BC2 I'd be VERY surprised if it wasn't more that kind of game than the original battlefields.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I would hope that they have the sense to keep it more in the wein of BF2 rather than BC2.

Slow it down a little, make the maps that bit more huge and sprawling.

Looking forward to the HD vid on the 30th showing the last part of the video.

Hopefully we can get some proper solid and confirmed details about the multiplayer side of things from E3 so that we can put our speculations aside :)

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

whatever happens, i wish motion sensor is back in :D it's the best weapon in BC2.

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

What I would really love to see is a limit to the amount of roles on each side. What spoils the game for me (and it's not just this game) is the amount of sniping that goes on. It's not fun and it's not realistic. OK a team full of snipers rarely wins the round, but they do get a lot of kills - which it seems is the main reason a lot of people play it.

The battlefield series has the potential to be a great team based combat game (sort of faster paced Arma), but I often find with the current series it turns into an objective based free for all with levelling up and kill/death ratios being the most important thing. There's 'another game' released every year which should satisfy these criteria!

I don't know how they would do it, but I would like to see more reward for team play rather than pure kills.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I like to keep my KDR solid in BC2, but always play objectively. Still managing to maintian it at 1.4 on Hardcore. It's nice to keep it in the green, but I never lose track of the objective. Drives me up the wall when people can't seem to remember the beeping MCOM beside them as they wait patiently for somebody to fall into their sights, or afraid that they might die trying to defuse it. Give away ground and give back tickets to the enemy team why don't you!

One of the key things I love about playing with ZiiP is that we always do our best to keep the objective of the game clearly in sight. From BF2 to any other game we've played/hosted.

With the motion sensor, I would prefer that claymores make their return instead of sensors. Instead of keeping still waiting for the recon player to find you, you walk around a corner to get your body torn in half by a shotgun in a box :D

By the looks of things thus far, the alpha footage is showing nice models, excellent animations, beautiful detail and great use of the Frostbite 2.0. Hopefully the buildings will be tall and impressive, not just copy&paste jobs from BC2 with a max height to keep it simple. I have high hopes for this one.
    I wonder what they will do in terms of UAV/Commander roles...

19. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Looks like commander wont be included Linky

Personally i would like to see squad leaders and commanders in 'Hardcore' mode at the very least.... but we'll see!

Sniping should only be 1 shot kill with a headshot, even in hardcore, to limit the number of players using it!

Everyone complains about sniping in BF2 but it forced squads to work better and to get stuck into the objectives / flags more!

In terms of classes the 2142 system worked best, with 4 classes, each customisable into 2 branches --- Heavy / light assault, Recon (C4) / sniper (claymore), Anti air / anti tank, etc.

20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I disagree with limits imposed on Classes as it goes back to my *breaking a Class just because people "abuse" it* although in this case it's more of a system than a specific Class.

Servers which have limits to the number of certain Classes have simply been the most frustrating thing i have ever experienced in a game of BC2. From my experience this only happens with Recon to limit the number of Snipers so i can only give my thoughts on that:

- In addition to what NaloaC stated, it's not just the main Objective that people seem to be oblivious of, but it's also being aware of what's going on in the "World" and how you adapt to it.

- In a recent game of mine we were attacking and the defenders were doing a good job of keeping us out, making use of all the turrets available to take down our Air Support/Vehicle Support. It's in these situations where the Sniper role comes into play, nothing's easier than sniping out a person mounted on a Turret. However whilst our "team" in general was coordinated, the Server had a restriction placed on the number of Recons and this number was currently met. The current Snipers however seemed to be derping around and prioritising all the wrong targets, resulting in us being unable to mount an effective assault.

However it's easy to extrapolate this experience to other classes... what if the Medics on your team aren't properly healing/reviving your teamates but you can't change class to fufill that role? Or too many people are going Assault for the noobtubes and not resupplying you with Ammo? Or Engineers that are using their RPGs on Infantry instead of the Tank that's supplying vehicle cover whilst enemies are capping a point/arming an MCOM.