1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. tristanperry

tristanperry Active Member

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

€50!!! Bloody hell, wherever that is can feck right off!

I doubt any set release date might be a stretch at the moment. Hopefully there will be some good news though over the coming weeks. 2 months until E3 though :(

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I wonder if this would use Phys-X at all?

After talking with Mars last night, I was thinking about getting a cheap enough mid-range card to deal with physcis and then a hefty high-end for the graphics. Although, this is of course purely guess work so long before release. :D

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

PhysX cards are not worth it IMHO. i bought a 8800GT off Phazed on here for PhysX, calculated the number of games with physx and looked at its 40w idle power usage, not worth it based on the power usage alone, never mind the cost of a card.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

you have to think about the heat added to your case too, when there is a decent MP shooter it will be worth it but for a few SP games seems a bit OTT

6. Kakeshoma

Kakeshoma New Member

It will very likely continue to use Havok physics, so an Nvidia card will not bring u any advantages... Unfortunately maybe :p
    Anyways since the GTX 4xx series a dedicated physx card is useless as they are already so powerful the extra physics calculations are nothing.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I've been running ATI for the last year, so not up to speed on it.

It was just a nice thought though :D

I genuinely want to max this game out on everything.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

at 1920x, i don't expect any problem from current latest fastest crop of cards. 6970 and 570/580.

heard those videos they showed were rendered on a 580.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'm rocking a 5870 at the moment, I'll certainly see how it handles it before I think of upgrading.

10. Kakeshoma

Kakeshoma New Member

Will see if I can upgrade next winter, Kepler and Sandy Bridge E sounds rather tempting...
    But Ill have to prioritize car first. Not sure how much longer I can live with these two jet engines next to me, at the same time having the computer on the floor is out of the question.
    Must....run....BF3....maxed...

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just upgraded my videocard specifically for BF3 so it better deliver :D

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

That scares me because I'm still on a stock 4870 1GB. (Which is still a really nice card though.)

What would be the best step up, I haven't really been following the components market recently.

(CPU is an original phenom quad, 9850BE @2.5Ghz along with a DFI 790FXB M2RSH and 4GB DDR2 1066MHz ram. Housed in an Aplus Black Pearl so cooling isn't a huge issue.)

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I love my 5870, it still eats most things for breakfast, leftovers for lunch too.

But if it stutters at all... well... time for an upgrade. :D

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'm getting a 570 also, hopefully will be more than enough for 1920. I would have waited tbh but my 280 is dying a slow and painful death before my eyes

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm in the same boat with a 5870. It's still excellent, but likely won't be maxing BF3 or any future game.

Not sure about upgrades just yet, though. If we're presently looking at a November 2nd release then the new generation of cards should either have just been released or just be coming up. Perhaps a shiny new 7970 would be a good treat when the time comes. :D

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

upgrade the cpu first as it's definitely the limiting factor. The original phenoms were terrible for gaming and you could get a huge performance upgrade from a newer one, assuming your board supports them.

Obvious a best case scenario upgrade would be a new cpu and gpu but I would first see how much a new cpu helps. If it doesn't help much it wouldn't really hurt since a faster cpu would be needed to take advantage of a faster videocard anyway :thumb:

17. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

upgrading now for a game that is 8 months away is absurd. at least wait until new cards come out or until prices drop so that you can buy what you have your eye on right now for cheap.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it's not absurd because it's not like I didn't play anything else in the meantime ;)

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

BF3 spurred me on an upgrade path that I will partake over the new few months. Right now I bought my 560ti. Gradually I will upgrade to a board that supports SLI and when my 560ti starts to struggle I'll slap another one in there.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's an AM2+ board (AM3 support, I believe) but I'd rather just upgrade everything, gonna have to start saving.