1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

I'm going from the damage chart here, and the logic that the guns need to be balanced. If the RoF is high or the amount of ammo is high the damage needs to be lowered a bit. If the RoF is low or the amount of ammo is low the damage needs to be boosted.

Also, the suppressor is SUPPOSED to reduce recoil, but also reduce the muzzle velocity of the bullet (shots don't go as far and drop faster). As far as actually reducing the overall damage of the bullet, it's not supposed to touch that. However, there is something in the patch notes about changing the way the suppressor works so it might not work as intended right now. A possible (disclaimer: I'm making this up without ANY facts to base it off of) reason for this is right now suppressors move the entire damage over distance function back a little bit. The min and max damage are the same, but as the bullet flies, it loses energy (damaging potential) faster which makes it seem like medium distance targets take "less" damage. For example, if the max distance for max damage used to be at 10m and the max distance for min damage used to be 250m, the suppressed values would become something lower like 5m and 240m and so the function at which the bullet loses energy would be moved back. Targets that are hit past 240m or before 5m don't notice a damage decrease, but any targets hit between 5m and 240m appear to take less damage because the function's reducing the bullet's energy sooner.

2. adidan

adidan Avatar now in stock for xmas 2019

That's been my experience with the G18, the suppressed version is my goto back up - ideal for recon as any pistol work is usually at close range.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Lot of confusion over add ons:

Suppressor:

+ Makes aiming down the sight more accurate
    + Decreased muzzle climb a little.
    - Decreased hip fire accuracy.
    - Decreased firing speed.

If you're a run and gun type into close quarters combat then a suppressor is bad, if you're one who engaged in medium range and aims with sights then a suppressor is good.

Heavy Barrel:
    + Makes aiming down the sight much more accurate.
    - Increased vertical muzzle climb.
    - Badly increased spread.

Great for single shot/burst fire at long to medium range, if you use full auto or close quarters then avoid it.

Laser Sight:
    +Increases accuracy from hip fire.

Excellent if you use close quarters combat or run and gun style. If you prefer medium or long range, or mostly use your sights...then you're wasting a slot.

Flash Suppressor:
    - Decreases hip fire accuracy.
    - Decreases sighted accuracy.
    - Increased your spread.
    + Hides your muzzle flash.

Badly affects just about everything - this must be weighed against stealth and hiding your muzzle flash. On huge maps this can be very useful, but as soon as you're spotted you're at a distinct disadvantage.

Fore Grip:
    +Decreases vertical muzzle climb

Bipod:
    + Significantly decreases spread (exception of the M60 where it causes horizontal kick)
    + Massively increases accuracy on machine guns
    - Needs to be deployed

We all know about Bi-pods!

Last edited: 3 Mar 2012
  4. adidan

That's why I find the G18 supp perfect as it fires so quickly the decreased firing speed makes hardly any realistic difference and yet provides greater accuracy.

5. Stewb

Stewb New Member

Not sure I agree with you about suppressor and close range. I personally love it at close range because you don't appear on the map.

6. adidan

I agree, at the end of the day a headshot is a headshot so accuracy is my main concern, especially at close range - I find the suppressor essential for recon back up because you want enough time to back up enough to switch back to the rifle so being as quiet as possible may just buy you enough time.

7. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Don't forget at close range, your shots can be heard by the enemy and with a surround or headphone setup, they can quickly work out where it came from.

That is why I run with suppressor whenever I can. Slight hip fire disadvantage can be made up by flanking stealthily.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

On the 30Mb package. Last night there were 2 PC's connected. My mate on FB and watching a film, me on BF3 lagging, badly.

9. adidan

This has been a complete biatch for me since yesterday afternoon. No idea why, it was working perfectly well even after the Origin update.

Giving up on it today, frakin me off.

10. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

If possible try connecting over wifi and comparing that to homeplug and then ethernet. I reckon the culprit's most likely the homeplug connection, as those have a reputation for causing issues. Alternatively having someone else streaming a film can affect latency in my experience.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Bleugh, need to spend more money >.<

I think the electrics in the house aren't helping tbh, it's quite an old terrace, electrics are probably shot. I'll see if I can get a cheapish USB WiFi adapter.

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Wouldn't hurt to try a little diag'. At command run ping (something like "ping -n 50 192.168.0.4"), it'll can determine packet loss. Probably find it goes great, in which case - supposedly equipment like blenders/microwaves, and in our case, as they are rated of that level power, PC's make noise so duplicating the circumstances and repeating. Apparently EoP is preferred over WiFi, as the frequencies are unregulated. I get disconnects whenever someone rings (but I'm not sure if this is the ADSL or interference of the cordless phone with the WiFi), it's the first indication of an incoming call - answered with "you :grr:").

In other news, my graphical changes has netted a GPU mem' usage of ~715 MB of 768. I did find out that the new WHQL Nvidia drivers have a fix for low (<=1 GB) memory gfx cards where there was memory corruption when using high texture quality settings. Going to give it a try.

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

14. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

Strangely enough, i don't give a fart about losing the game if I'm top player on my team, as all it means, was that my team was crap. Same applies for your win there matey.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2012
  16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I still have such a schizophrenic grasp of this game. On some games I will absolutely dominate, and on others I won't.

Although to be honest, that's mostly due to me switching weapons every other kill. And then reacclimitizing. After i do, I pretty much own again.

17. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Considering you lost by 16 tickets in a 250% ticket game, your team was actually pretty decent... BF3 isn't a 1-man game. MVPs can only get high scores if their team works to provide opportunities that skew power ratios in their favour.

When I go 60+ kills to nil deaths in a tank it isn't because my team is crap and I'm the only one 'good enough' to get kills, it's because my engies are doing an amazing job and my team is working well to provide me the opportunity to clean house.

18. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

I can attest to times when I've been very jealous of enemy tanks that I know have 1 or 2 engis behind them constantly healing while I see 5 little repair icons on my minimap running around doing anything but repairing me or even helping me attack the tank that I clearly spotted and am trying to kill for them.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

As of tonight I have everything unlocked, EVERYTHING. All unlocks for the guns and vehicles

I really had fun unlocking stuff for the scouts. Before I never used to like to fly because I didn't think I was good at it. But now I'd consider myself to be a decent pilot. Now I'm back to getting all the master dog tags for the guns.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Im having lots of fun playing scout, ok so I'm not racking up mega kills when I'm doing so but I'm enjoying spotting targets and calling out recon to those on comms as well as getting that long rang headshot. 395m is my highest so far, gonna see if I break that.