1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Oooh, Assault Lines, that's something DICE should have considered keeping. They also should have considered keeping Conquest maps where one side didn't have an un-cap, nothing more awesome than winning by default when your enemy has no where to spawn even with 100+ tickets left! On the flip side you start to really value your squad leaders when your team is out of control points and they're the only things people can spawn on.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

That sounds like rush without MCOMs. So how can the defending team win? I assume less tickets?

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

That's pretty much how Rush came about really, although you can't move back in Rush, whereas i believe you could in Assault Lines.

According to wikipedia it's described as:

Conquest: Assault Lines

A new gamemode variant exclusive to the Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike booster pack, this gamemode is similar to Assault. The EU team begins with a single, uncapturable base, while the PAC team has all the remaining control points. However, the PAC home base cannot be captured unless the EU team controls all the other flags on the map, forcing more defense onto flags that have already been captured. If the PAC flag is captured, all players on the EU team receive an award. However, if the PAC manages to recapture a base, the round will continue. If they recapture their home base, the EU is eligible to receive the award again.

Conquest: Double Assault Lines

A new twist on a twist. This gamemode has only been seen following the Battlefield 2142 1.40 patch on the Highway Tampa map. The only difference to Assault Lines is that both teams now have a base that is uncapturable until all the other flags are taken.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's normal Conquest rules, just that on some maps one of the teams has no un-capturable base and starts with all of the standard control points under their control. Since each team is provided with a unique advantage and disadvantage it maintains balance and makes the map a different experience depending on which team you're playing on.

At first glance it sounds like the "defenders" have it hard, but in practice starting with a 4-1 control point advantage can really help. It's actually not uncommon for a good team to never give up a single point and leave the enemies trapped in their un-cap all game.

EDIT: Unless you were asking about Conquest: Assault Lines, see above.
    EDIT2: Read the Wikipedia article for a clearer explanation, the single un-cap maps are formally named Conquest: Assault. It seems there's also a Double Assault that I forgot about... need to launch up 2142 again!

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  5. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Strike at Karkand agrees with you :p

Seriously, I think it's a shocking map.

6. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

That's kind of what I had in mind. For me, one of the biggest hindrances to realistic tactics in this kind of game is the absence of fear. Getting shot doesn't really bother you, so getting shot at doesn't either. So the whole dynamic of the gameplay changes as a result. You can't really pin people down, no-one's too worried about being in the open, snipers don't mind if people know where they are when it's not too easy to hit them back. And even if you do get killed, it's no big deal really - just a quick respawn. I think it would massively improve this kind of game if the stakes were raised a little.

7. wyx087

go play actual realistic shooters rather than complain in BF game thread? BF has never been a realistic shooter, always been a fun arcade shooter with realistic elements.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I disagree somewhat with the whole "getting shot doesn't really bother you" part.

Although that could be because i only play on Hardcore servers these days. Crossing open ground is risky and the minute you start taking fire (or hear bullets whizzing past) you *will* head for cover and not just turn around and try fend for yourself.

Snipers are also incredibly effective at pinning people since a single body shot is now sufficient to put someone down. On the flip side, making yourself scarce as a Sniper is invaluable as now a stray shot to the face seriously hinders your ability to see as opposed to being able to take a few (in Vanilla).

9. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Any news / info on the commo-rose in BF3??? This Q-spots all crap in BC2 just wont fly!

I would like to be able to shout specifics such as:

'Thanks'
    'I need a medic'
    'I need ammo'
    'I need a lift'
    'Roger that'
    'Follow me'
    'Negative'

Squad leader orders were also important in creating team work with strangers!

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Agreed with Ham.

One of the greatest parts about BF2 was using the commo-rose to get med packs, ammo, tell people to follow, etc. It worked very well when you were in a squad.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

You can still do most of that stuff... sort of.

It's all context sensitive now, so if you want a Med Pack, "Q" a Medic, for Ammo "Q" an Assault, for a lift "Q" a vehicle.

However it does get frustrating trying to actually find the guy you need instead of just spamming it out there and having the guy find you (for the points).

There are still things you can't do like say "Thanks", "Roger", "Negative", "Follow"... but then those aren't vital per se.

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Massivley agree with this. The BF2 way was MUCH better than the BFBC2 method.

Holding q then moving mouse in direction if the required command was fast, easy and very ver effective. It meant you could use a radio command without having to point at something specific and comprimise yourself.

It also really helps promote teamworking, with orders for squads being much clearer and used in the right context.

Il keep my fingers crossed that they keep this.

13. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Some more info / pics of the class system has been announced!

Slinky

14. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

System Spec rumour

Minimum

Hard Drive Space: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
    Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHzRAM2GB
    Video Card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card

Recommended

Hard Drive Space: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version
    Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPURAM 4GB
    Video Card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850

all i know is i will be able to run it:clap:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/08/battlefield-3-system-requirements-revealed/
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/08/gamestop-lists-minimum-and-recommended-specs-for-bf3-on-pc/

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

A 5GB difference between the digital and the disc version ? This is kind of weird, isn't it ?

16. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

Yeah i agree but it could 5gb of DRM For the hard copy

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Certainly strikes me as odd too, though it seems game specs are getting progressively more conservative when it comes to space requirements in general. Any game which has the potential for future patches and updates seems to be advertised as requiring 5GB more than the game really ends up being just to make absolutely sure that no players end up without enough room for a patch. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they game only ever uses 7GB or so.

Still completely lost as to why a hard copy recommends 5GB more, though.

18. wyx087

oh god, any can't they have a balanced medic class?

with power to bring back a ticket, medic cannot have a good gun. in BFBC2, they gave them LMG's, and now in BF3, they are giving them murderous assault rifles?

LMG suppression class certainly sounds interesting. but with such a large belt of bullets, I bet there will be a very limited number of ammo boxes around. To me, it seems like people only throw down ammo boxes when they need it themselves.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's just it, the "medic" can't revive people the assaults can

IMO the classes should be something like this

Assault:
    LMG
    ammo boxes that can only be dropped with in 10 meters of someone else (you can't hide in one spot and drop yourself ammo forever)
    pokie balls

Medic:
    unsurpressed SMG
    med packs
    defibrillators

Engineer:
    Assault rifles
    RPGs
    repair tool

Recon:
    Long range rifles with at least one VSS style rifle (long shots that will take skills or no one hit kills for foot shots)
    Arty and C4
    Only class available to spot enemies

With an all kits weapons similar to BC2. It also be cool if your run speed/response time (coming out of a sprint) should be based on the rifle you're using. Ie. LMG=heavy so you run slow and have a longer time from carrying your weapon to being ready ready to hip fire or aim down sights. SMG=light so you run faster and can draw you're weapon faster.

It would also be cool if your abilities/ the loss of them were based on where you get shot. Leg shots, you run slower; arm shots you can't hold your weapon as steady; body shots that don't kill you can't sprint as far; head shots you're dead no matter what weapon you use, unless it hits your helmet.

20. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Recommend Graphics card is less than £150?
    say whaaaaaat?