1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

HD destruction only works as its a smaller map and limited number of players, start uping the player count and things get alot more complicated.
    Dice proably could increase destruction though i doubt they will do it unless pc gamers put money forward for a dlc destruction pack.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

At first glance, I hated the CQC dlc. However, I've been playing a lot of infantry only maps and now that I saw that video, I'm a little bit excited for it. However the 16 player limit is kinda dumb but whatever

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So, new weapons then.

I saw MTAR-21 and AUG-A3 come up on screen after the 1minute mark, not sure if any others came up before then altough I think I saw the SPAS 12 there somewhere.

Well, I presume they're new. :worried:

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I shot a little bird out of the sky :p YAAAY!! Such a good feeling!

Although what is it with some chopper pilots trying to chase down enemy jets? I think I died 5/6 times because my pilot was fixated on killing gets.

5. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

I highly doubt it's an engine limitation, considering the incredibly advanced capabilities of Frostbite 2.0; it could be that console hardware limitations influenced the lack of HD destruction on vanilla maps, but BC2 seemed to be able to pull this off on both PC and console, so I assume it's a combination of Frostbite 2.0's greater power requirements across other features such as the revamped lighting and sound engines.

The last thing BF3 needs is more DLC (imho), DICE really should be concentrating more on getting patches out sooner, whilst supporting their core competitive community - something that companies like Valve do incredibly well. Unfortunately the trend they've displayed is exactly the opposite, but I highly, highly doubt many people would be happy about paying for 'destruction DLC' on maps they already own, and as such I don't think EA/DICE would be that profit-hungry at the expense of their reputation.

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

New vid looks pretty cool, if the pricing is right I can't see a problem with adding a few new maps and guns to go after.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

does that BF3 trailer remind anyone of CS map de_chateau?

8. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I thought the destruction in BF3 was ment to be more complete than in BC2? Would be awesome if you could just destroy the whole map if that makes sense make a city just rubble etc

as for the trailer now you've said it yeah.. I thought it looked close to something but couldnt put my finger on it xD

9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Dom, I would have liked to watch the vid, but I only got 6 mins through until that drunk filter v1 made me feel slightly motion sick. I must be a bit more sensitive than most.

I still don't know about the new dlc, but the L86 included with it should kick arse (a longer barreled L85).

I thought most of the destruction thing is in the trees.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Very strange, I havent added anything to the video in fact I left it completely alone. I will watch it through and see what it plays like.

I see why it's playing like that. I let youtube fix the video and it has made it look that way.

Just removed the changes. It's now undoing the shake fix it put into place.

11. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Reminded more of a map called Showdown back in COD4.

12. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Dice proably could go all out on destruction if they wanted to but its more likely console limitations alongside sound and graphics as you have mentioned, to produce a smooth running game on both platforms.

BC2 maps where very small so limited destuction seemed more effective, where as large open maps in bf3 reduce that effect.

DLC is what brings in additional revenue and keeps teams working on the game, other wise patch teams gnerally get smaller as theirs little revenue to keep staff on the game.
    The competive side of bf3 is hampered by DICE/EA lack of support and a unfinished game, they may put the long promised competive support in but its unlikely.

What we shall see from DICE/EA is more dlc to expand the game and add new content which is what the masses of players want, alongside the continued patches to fix things slowly and break more stuff while doing so.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Wish I'd recorded the round I had earlier. Some great work by me/Elton/Throbby oh and lack of observational awareness. Team mates dying near by and no one thinks hey who killed them....

Would have been ace as Top BF3 plays etc

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Good bit of playing. Still owning it up with the beastly rifle that is the SKS.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

M416 is my new love. Underslung/Heady Barrel owns. Now time for me to sleep!! Thats another Episode of Bones watched!!

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

As has been mentioned somewhere in the last few pages, the reason the destruction was tweaked down is due to the size of the maps afaik. Someone said earlier but it adds an element of complexity that needs to be managed. BC2 was smaller, more compact and allowed for more destruction.

Didn't get on yesterday and doubt I'll be on this evening, going on the piss! Have a nice weekend all.. :thumb:

EDIT: Update on some of the new guns, just by watching the vid.. looks like AUG for Medic, ACR for engi, MTAR for recon and SPAS-12 for general. Not sure for Support, don't think it's shown.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2012
  17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm pretty sure both the ACW-R and MTAR are for engi as they're both carbines, MTAR wouldn't fit in the recon class at all. Besides, recon has a new sniper rifle in the JNG-90 or whatever its called.

Also, I got a game update this morning, it wasn't huge so I'm guessing it was just minor bug fixes but there was no patch list for it.

18. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It's a PC limitation too. A lot of PC gamers are still struggling along on hardware that wasn't good 4 years ago. This forum, by its nature as a HW enthusiast forum, gives a distorted picture of what most people actually have.

There was a video explaining the modifications to the engine made for the Close Quarters DLC - essentially Destruction 2.0 can be scaled up and down without difficulty, but you incur a serious resource cost for doing so - most current hardware can't handle large open maps and granular destruction at the same time.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The new weapons are:

Assault Rifles
    ■AUG A3
    ■SCAR-L

Carbines
    ■ACW-R
    ■MTAR-21

Light Machine Guns
    ■L86A1
    ■LSAT

Sniper Rifles
    ■JNG-90
    ■M417

Shotguns
    ■SPAS-12

PDWs
    ■MP5K

All confirmed either on-screen being used, or in the killfeeds from videos.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Here is the patch list:
    * Origin wrapper updated
    * AlienFX support
    * Bugfixes to Eyefinity detection

What I think of the patch list:
    - dumb
    - dumbest/had to Google it to even see what it was
    - whatever.jpg and fixyourgame.mov