1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

That's good info, and a very useful tool for comparing weapon/attachment stats. Just what I need, thanks. :thumb:

+rep to you both.

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I was tired last night so here is the foregrip theory, and I already linked the Symthic site.

My loadout for copy: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/JamJester/loadout/363545879/pc/

BF3 shooting mechanics are more interesting than most games I've played, The thing that isn't clearly visible in the stats pages is how to maximise each weapons potential. Foregrip is good for two situations, it benefits bursting characteristics allowing longer bursts, it always benefits hipfire. Foregip is bad for longrange tap fire, good for close-medium range sustained fire, (5-10 shots).

For example ACW-R is a bad candidate for foregrip, it's a long range carbine best suitated to tap-fire 1/2 shots at a time or micro bursts; It still bursts well at closer ranges but w/o headshots it's a consisten 5/6 shot kill.

One last point, if you run HB w/o Foregrip you need to make your first shot count - that's the whole benefit of doing it like that; In most cases, you'll want to micro-burst these setups, 2, 3 or 4 rounds at a time.

3. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Yea, that makes sense, thanks.

I've been playing this a bit too much lately :D and have unlocked a few more "stuffs" (Gunnery Sgt now *points at stripes* :D). I have t say, I think I like them all! F2000 with FG & HB is great fun - the FG & HB really calm it down nicely for those longer bursts at close/med range. Same with the Aug a3 - the FG & HB really allow you to nail medium range targets with precision bursts (have the holo sight for the Aug too which I like a lot). I like the AN's 2-round burst too but haven't really had much time with it yet.

Surprisingly, I'm also enjoying one of the semi-auto sniper rifles - the QBU-88. It's great for when I just want to hang back a little further and take people out relatively invisibly with the glareless 4x scope (working towards the FG & suppressor to help with this). O, and I somehow managed to bag a 750m headshot with the SV98 & 12x scope too.

All's not perfect though - I lose far too many short range battles for my liking because of my rusty skills and being surprised due to not being familiar with my surroundings. High ranking lone-wolves have sneaked up and nicked my dog-tags a few times too. :(

Edit: I've also discovered that M320 spamming is a "thing" so I'm now consciously trying to avoid using the LVG. It's too bliddy tempting though and my accuracy is pretty good with it (36%). Still, it was beginning to take over my game so I must resist. Using it too much will hold back my unlock progression - I don't want to end up a Colonel with nothing to show for it but a worn-out M320.

Last edited: 22 May 2014
  4. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the score is with the M16A4? I have the A3 version but despite reading on the web about the A4 being available in BF3 (after 89k infantry points?), I can't see it anywhere in-game (despite having ~240k infantry points). Has it been removed in an update or am I missing something very obvious? (quite likely.)

Thanks.

Last edited: 25 May 2014
  5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

It's there still. I wouldn't use it though, also it isn't separated in the stats engine from the A3.

6. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

How do you get it?

I read that it had better spread stats than the A3 making it more accurate for longer ranges, and IIRC a burst mode option (though I may be mistaken on that).

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

A4 is burst and maybe single only. It's in the Assault weapon group.

8. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've checked and double-checked my profile/weapons tab in Battlelog (next to "overview"), filtered for "assault kits" and it isn't there. Am I looking in the right place?

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

M16A3, full auto, single shot.

M16A4, Three round burst, single.

The A4 is marginally more accurate than the A3, but you have to contend with the first round recoil more often (which increases scope jump) and the practical fire rate is lower, you do less damage at all ranges. So nobody uses the A4.

TBH all the burst firing weapons except the AN94 perform poorly compared to their full auto equivalent. The way Battlefield's recoil works makes them less accurate unless you fire very slowly, then the extra accuracy is only useful at ranges where you should be using a sniper rifle anyway.

10. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Cheers, I appreciate the opinion but I'd like to try it. Any idea why I can't see it?

11. fix-the-spade

Ah ok.

For reasons known only to DICE, the M16 A3/4 track stats and unlocks together (so does the M4/a1), on Battlelog only the A3 shows up and any kills with the A4 add to that total.

To equip it in game you have to be on the Assault loadout screen and keep going through the assault rifles until it comes up (it appears in the pop up quick-loadout box in the spawn screen too). It looks the same as the A3 so you just have to look at the description until it appears.

You need 89'000 Assault points to unlock it, specifically Assault points rather than general Infy points, butif you have the F2000 you should be past that. There may be a bug where it doesn't appear until you have Assault SS1 as well, in which case you can only use it as US until you unlock the AK/A3 with Service Star 1.

Last edited: 26 May 2014
  12. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. So the A4 is visible in the Loadout section but as far as displaying weapon stats (and progression unlocks) in Battlelog, the A3 and A4's stats are thrown together and displayed under the A3? That is a bit quirky, I wonder why they decided to do that.

(I can't give you any more rep until I "spread it around" but thanks, appreciated.)

13. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

It just gets better and better!

Just had my first real tactical success. A no-explosives 64 player Metro Conquest Large round, playing on the US side, advancing past B towards the passageway to the right and behind the ticket office. Progress had stalled with about 8 of us stuck round the first corner (in full view of the left door). Enemy were by the right door and covering pretty well. I decided to try and break the stalemate and charge.

I managed to jump out of cover and drop 3 of them who were tightly grouped by the right door in two short bursts before advancing, hopping back into cover up onto the long ledge in no-man's land and dropping myself a medipack. A few seconds later I jumped back down, dropped another 1 or 2 by the right door again before sprinting forward and then left to surprise 3 others around the corner. The rest of the squad followed and we soon broke outside and held r/h street corner.

*Rambo face*

It felt every bit as good as CS used to, if not better - it's so much more fun without people spamming grenades everywhere.

Last edited: 31 May 2014
  14. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

15. fix-the-spade

So, right now there are 92'000 people playing BF3 on the PC.

There are about 19'000 on BF4 pc and 52'000 people on BF4, across all five versions combined.

I wonder how much EA are making from expansion sales for BF3 and whether it outstrips BF4's income at the moment, making Battlepacks paid for items seems somewhat extreme.

16. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

I've noticed there a lot more servers online since the free-to-download period, and most of them seem to be full/heavily populated. It's great... BUT... last night I had my first experience of a round being ruined by several very obvious cheaters. A few were persistent too - before being votebanned/kicked they spammed the chat saying they had a million other accounts and true enough, once banned/kicked they returned with slightly differently numbered player names, and the voteban cycle continued.

People often say "but they're just better than you" and I agree to a point - people often cry "hacker" when they've been owned pure & simple. I haven't been playing BF3 for very long but I have played online FPS long enough to know the signs: these guys were racking up a kill every 2 or 3 seconds and I was killed several times in a row by the same guy, with a single hit from his pistol when he was 50+ yards away. I joined the same squad as one of them that was on my team and just sat out for a while watching his play from the follow-cam. No tactical awareness at all, he was just walking into open spaces, rotating on the spot and firing with no adjustment - each time he fired, he got a kill.

I hope they soon get bored/banned.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2014
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fired this up and went hunting with SMC,

felt good, felt REALLY good.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

alright i know you lot have all moved on to other things but ive only just started getting back into BF in a big way, until lastnight.

for some reason every 6-8 seconds the game just freezes for a fraction of a second and locks whatever input was being made at the time. naturally this is getting me ganked on more then one occasion. this only appears to be happening in MP, SP is fine. so far I've done a fresh BF install, fresh plug in, shitbuster and new gpu drivers.

i dont have hyperthreading on the cpu so its not that and im running out of ideas.

suggestions?

*edit*

it appears the last origin update caused it, disabling the ingame overlay has resolved the issue.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2014
  19. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Glad you got it working, and thanks for telling us what it was. Will be on the lookout for it when I next play a BF game.

20. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Been playing on bf3 for weeks now. Just a far better game than bf4.

Living it tbh.