1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Election - 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 18 Apr 2017.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:( But almost all of us on these forums would be knocked off as well if we went down the Logan's Run route, I'm sure there's not many of us that are young enough to be excluded from the games.

Happy to see that the Cornwall results are a lot closer this year, shame that Labour didn't gain the ground here as we had some really good candidates who represented a lot of my views on the so-called "affordable" housing and funding for voluntary services.

A bit disappointed with how uninviting our local polling stations were, when I went in the place was almost completely devoid of life and it felt like I was being judged by the unfriendly people at the signing in table...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I figured there was a fair amount of irony in calling for the 'renewal' of everyone over 29 with reference to a film of which nobody under the age of 30 is likely to have heard...

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

It was the same up here in North Somerset to be fair, my polling station was in a church that looked like if a bomb had gone off in there it would have been an improvement.

They would have had more people vote if the Polling stations were pubs :)

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Mine would not even let me bring my accompanying cat who walked to the polling station with me.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

God help us.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh yes more workable but although they share some ground with the DUP the DUP want to stay in the single market which is a big difference to the pre-election Tory position.

That has already got Farage going on about the type of 'Brexit the British voted for' because it appears everybody voted for his idea of a Brexit and that he may return....

TBH politicians crossed party lines to vote in/out of the EU, it seems only sensible that any deal is also cross party, this outcome may aid that. Yeah, I know, la la land :)

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IDK what the position of the DUP was in the past but they've said they'll support the Conservatives on confidence motions and support Conservative budgets as long as they promise that there's no post-Brexit special status for NI.

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I was more shocked at how slack the "officals" were at ours.

Not got your polling card? No problem, just go through.

No ID? Doesn't matter, pick a name and address from this easy to read list I have in front of me and vote on behalf of whoever you want.

The missus said a friend of hers and her mum went to vote in the morning, only to discover someone else beat them to it (in their names)...

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That's standard.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I suggest we raise the age limit to at least 55. That will give me a little over 2 more years to be a disruptive influence.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Who did you vote for? I personally don't see how saddling young people with a mortgage for their degree that is worth 7 tenths of diddly s**t nowadays being a sound policy.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Where are the party leaders this morning?
    Apart from Paul Nuttall who has resigned I have not heard a peep out of Corbyn, May, Sturgeon or Clegg.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think they've all had their say but the media seems to be running around shouting OMG it's a hung parliament and not paying much attention them.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

When was that then as I have been up since 3am and have not heard a thing from any of them?

They're probably still fighting over access to the smelling salts, before putting in an appearance.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...wasn't that exactly my point (or one of my points, at least)?

I voted Labour. For whom did you vote?

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It was hard to tell your exact position. Hence why I asked. Call me a pedant.

I voted Green in a Lib Dem / Tory marginal. I so nearly went for the tactical Lib Dem vote (who won anyway), but I stuck with my guns. FWIW.

17. Gareth Halfacree

It was? Really? I thought I was pretty clear. For the record: I am absolutely against old Tories voting to take away benefits and rights they enjoyed from the younger generations, including but not limited to all the things mentioned in my original post.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I voted for Millie, Kronos's cat. ;) :D

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yes, but your original post did not definitively indicate that you are pro the current and next generations receiving those benefits (or whether you think it is feasible in the current economic world we live). For example, I know lapsed LAB voters who would agree with you that the post-war generation who, singing from the William Beveridge hymn sheet, were short-sighted. Yet they now vote Tory and are pragmatic about how much of a welfare state the UK should have, as hypocritical as that may be.

20. Gareth Halfacree

I literally (though hyperbolically) called for people like this:

to have the right to vote stripped from them, and/or be removed from the population as per the 1976 dystopian sci-fi film Logan's Run. If that isn't indicative of my political beliefs, then I'm not really sure what is.

EDIT: And in fiscal support of my Logan's Run proposal, some numbers: FY2018 projections for public spending on welfare is £111.6 billion, which includes everything from family and child benefits through to social protection and unemployment benefits; FY2018 planned public spending on old age pensions is £113.3 billion, and that doesn't even count things like sickness and disability pensions (£44.1 billion) and survivors' pensions (£1.2 billion).

In other words: 'renew' all the pensioners, and you cover the entire cost of the welfare budget for everyone else and have a minimum of £1.7 billion left over. I punch those figures into my calculator, I get a happy face.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2017