1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Election - 8 June 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 18 Apr 2017.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ha, that did make me laugh, I wish that could happen but my nation appears to have lost its collective mind since I went away and came back.

What with my partner being Finnish it may affect us more than some, we may have to move again.

They don't ever hide them very well. I just hope people remember that although Brexit is important they shouldn't forget about the NHS and other aspects of our society that are being shafted.

As for Scotland, May said categorically there wouldn't be a snap election and that Scotland shouldn't confuse matters by calling for a referendum during Brexit. Now she calls an election...

Seriously, was something put in the water while I was away?

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not so sure that the SNP will lose that many votes in the snap GE. It might seem a bit counterintuitive but a lot of people vote SNP despite not being pro-independence. You also have to think about who people would vote for instead - Labour are still a shambles in Scotland, the Lib Dems are still largely in the wilderness, UKIP are virtually non-existent. That leaves the Tories, the Greens or the SNP.

In terms of support for IndyRef2, it's certainly not something that people I talk to are madly keen on, even those who voted Yes last time. That said, I think that if Brexit goes as badly as people fear then you'll see the independence campaign get a shot in the arm. But in general, I think people are suffering from referendum fatigue, and even voting fatigue. That being the case, I'd be interested to see how low the turnout is at this forthcoming GE - I suspect it might be quite low.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I can't see turnout being low, if anything people will probably see it as a 2nd referendum, Conservative = Hard, Labour = Soft, Lib Dem = Remain.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

What are you talking about? Both big parties have committed to brexit, so there is precisely zero chance of a pro remain party getting any majority.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

What are the odds on the Tories throwing the fight?

They've had a long hard look at Brexit - maybe they've decided they don't fancy a bite of that sh!t sandwich and quite fancy dumping it onto Labour/LibDem's plate, so they can step back in after four years and blame Labour/LibDem for all our ills?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

While I'd not be shocked in the least if that's their plan, I couldn't see any reasonable human betting on the voting public to get them out of the shitstorm that is Brexit.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

As for Lib Dems, I'd rather vote for someone spineless than brainless, although it is a rock and a hard place.

Main issue is, even with support for Labour/Dems/Green, the splitting of the vote means the Tories are going to laugh their way to the bank. Of course, this all wouldn't matter so much if we had AV. Heck, the Brexit vote would never even have happened if we had AV.

It's ironic, but the best chance of a mitigated Brexit is if UKIP win a whole bunch of votes this election.

8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Pretty much sums up the options as far as I'm concerned. 2 major players and both as useful and reliable as a piece of 2nd had bog roll! Let's not even get into honesty and integrity!!

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sadly, not voting is not voting no!

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I hope this election offers the complete and utter defeat that the labour party needs so that they're in an electable position for the next general election. With any luck David Miliband will take the top job to reform the party. There's no way I'm voting for a labour party with Corbyn at the helm.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

At first I thought this should be in SD. But on further consideration I think it needs to be in the Demote thread.

In times of uncertainty people tend to vote for the government in power. I think the Conservatives will get a majority vote. People be stupid that way.

However I think that the timing is interesting. The government has already had to make a number of climb-downs on their Brexit promises and plans. Liam Fox has apparently clocked up 230000 air miles already and has not had a single agreement in principle on a trade deal... anywhere. It seems clear from its avoidant behaviour (e.g. not making any economic projections of possible negotiation outcomes) that the government realises that Brexit is going to cause some economic harm and that it is in effect confronted with a damage limitation exercise.

I think that Theresa May may well be wanting to opt for a softer-ish Brexit, but thus far has needed to consider the hard-core Brexiteers in this. Now UKIP is dead, if she gets the majority vote, she can do what she wants without having to appease that minority.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2017
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even worse, not voting plays into the the hands of the extremists, zealots, fringe, or whatever you want to call them, assuming no one is going to vote for an extreme view can lead to some surprising results.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Oh joy, yet more chaos.

I imagine this is May's gambit to kick Labour and Jeremy Corbin into the weeds. I'm voting Lib Dem, because I can.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I would have thought May would have left Corbyn to it, seeing as he's utterly incompetent and totally ineffectual as leader of the opposition. This GE gives hope to the idea that Corbyn might actually have to step down after presiding over a crushing landslide defeat.

15. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

And voting for halfwits who couldn't organise a piddle up in the proverbial brewery just leads to more of the same.

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I know who I will vote for because the other 2 options are just a no go for me.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Smart move by May, with the weakest opposition in living memory this should be a straight forward Conservative majority and mandate to deliver what ever they wish.

The only up side will be the immediate resignation of Corbyn post election.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Better to vote for them IMO than extremists, zealots or nutters on the fringe.

Voting for some halfwit that couldn't organise a piddle up in a brewery is far better than not voting and allowing a few people to elect Dr Evil who wants sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I imagine that there are quite a lot of labour MPs and members who will be glad of Corbyn getting a drubbing as they will finally have proof that he is unelectable and will be able to get rid of him now rather than wait until 2020.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'll be deeply disappointed if someone doesn't use the slogan 'Make June [8th] the end of May'...

As for where I am, I can't see the age-old trend of 'they'll vote for anything with a Labour badge on it' ending. So while I personally won't vote for the bottleless ****wit that is the current MP... at least he's a known quantity of idiot...

Last edited: 19 Apr 2017