1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling generic beginners thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babychaos, 12 Apr 2002.

1. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

Afternoon all.

Generic bit first. Said to friend I was considering watercooling my PC this year, was advised to check this place out...have done so and it is indeed excellent (good enough for me to risk logging in at work now to post anyway:D ).

I've done the reading and checked out all the info, and I've come up with the plan for my setup. My mission is to fit the entire thing in my existing case (generic ATX) and for the thing to be resilient enough to goto LAN parties. So size is an issue (despite what my girlfriend says).

I'm reckoning on a Black Ice Rad at the front, attached to a 120mm fan with some kind of speed control, then 2 waterblocks, one for a future graphics card and one for my CPU. These will probably both be Dangerden. The pump will (quite obviously) be an Eheim. I'll be hacking a hole in the front to accomodate the 120mm.

Firstly, am I being realistic aiming to fit it all in a case? Secondly, will I need an air-trap/res? I'm pretty such I could make one up out of piping/silicon etc etc, but due to the resilience thing I'd like as few connections as possible. I won't be using a TEC as I'll be using an AMD and really I'd need a second PSU, which isn't an option. My current Duron is a 700, but is garenteed to 900 and has previously run at 1gig in a cool room using air, so I'm pretty sure with a semi-decent water setup it will maintain that.

Am I going for the right sort of equipment?

OK, I'm done...:hehe:

BC

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Welcome to the forums! I would say to try and keep the rad outside of the case. It doesn't make much sense to have the hot air from the rad go back into the case.
    The problem with most cases these days is that they are not designed with watercooling in mind, so it might be tough to set one up in yours. Btw..what case do you have?

3. Chrisy

Chrisy What's a Dremel?

Looks like you are on the right track there. The quest for an internal setup was one I set out on and sort of get there. There are always things I keep thinking of changing.

You can have a look a t some pics here

With my case fitting everything internaly wasn't too much of a problem due to it being a full tower. However if you have a midi then it is a bit more tricky.

For a start if we a talking about a midi then 3/8" tubbing is the way to go. The 1/2" stuff just won't bend well enough. You could use 90deg fittings but they add restriction to the point that it defeats the point of 1/2" tubbing.

As far as an air trap it can be useful however I feel it is not vital. Depends how much you are going to be changing stuff arround ect.

As far as components go you are looking good. You may want to consider the cooler core rather than the black ice as they are comparable and the core is a tad cheaper. Otherwise have a look at some of the stuff on jessfm's (I think is is his anyway) new site http://www.overclockedpc.co.uk/

Good luck,

Chrisy

4. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

This is the neatest job I have seen in a midi case http://mashie.glassbil.net/casemods/syrinix.htm and would be very suitable for a lan box. Air traps are not nessessary, just very convenient. As long as you take time with your bleeding, you will have no problems. I had a case that was lan possible, but remember, water is heavy....

I know Chrisy did his in a tower, but it is a clean enough setup to fit in a midi with no problems.

One way two get around sharp corners is to use pvc piping and to bend it as shown:

http://www.thesteele.net/nokink/tightbend.html

http://www.thesteele.net/highfsb/highfsb.html

Looks like you are going for a nice system.

5. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the feedback and the tips. Looking at whats been done I'm pretty certain that it can be done...that Juno case is well set out, and mine _should_ be less complex than that, so its all good...

Weight is not an issue, the 19' monitor will always outdo that :D

Another thing thats been brought to my attention is connecting the waterblock to the Mobo...I currently have an Abit KT7-RAID (old, I know)...the Dangerden screws on to 4 holes placed around the processor slot...do all boards have these, or only certain models?

BC

6. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

My understanding is that all AMD approved mobo's are meant to have them, but I would not garentee it. If you want to know about a spesific mobo I would post on the hardware section as they will know the answer.

Tags: